Class of 2014 interviews

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Would some of you mind posting your stats?

I received a rejection without an interview in the mail 10/21

I applied last year and after a file review they said to finish my pre-reqs and shadow a PA. I finished those in May. Applied June. Supplemental submitted July 7th

Stats

3.49 Overall

3.37 Science

2 undergrad degrees (too many units to really move my GPA, but it seems to be in range)

Medical assistant - 1 year, Community clinic volunteer - 1 semester, Hospital volunteer - 1 year, Research - 1 year, PA shadow - 1 semester, 3 MD shadows - 500 hours, Community service - 200 hours, 4 school clubs, worked while in college

Personal statement reviewed by ex-dean of admissions at a medical school (includes: first college graduate in family, from a rural and underserved area, personal story about being exposed to medicine, medical/research experiences, want to work in primary care and in rural and underserved areas)

Letters - ex-dean/my professor/research professor, internist I worked for, PA shadowed. AT Still said my letters were strong so they aren't holding me back...

Not sure what it is...

I hope this helps others who haven't heard back.

Hoping I get an interview elsewhere, but AT Still was my first choice:(

CPette - I have yet to hear anything so I'm not sure posting my stats would offer any help. I know they receive a LOT of applications. Have you tried contacting the school to ask why it was you got a denial without an interview? Seems like if they told you last year to strengthen your app that they should offer you some insight this year as well. Don't get down on yourself. Your stats sound great and you will end up at a school you are meant to be at. I know it can be super frustrating but attitude is everything sometimes, keep it positive. turn the :( into :). You have worked hard.

^Would some of you mind posting your stats?

I received a rejection without an interview in the mail 10/21

I applied last year and after a file review they said to finish my pre-reqs and shadow a PA. I finished those in May. Applied June. Supplemental submitted July 7th

Stats

3.49 Overall

3.37 Science

2 undergrad degrees (too many units to really move my GPA, but it seems to be in range)

Medical assistant - 1 year, Community clinic volunteer - 1 semester, Hospital volunteer - 1 year, Research - 1 year, PA shadow - 1 semester, 3 MD shadows - 500 hours, Community service - 200 hours, 4 school clubs, worked while in college

Personal statement reviewed by ex-dean of admissions at a medical school (includes: first college graduate in family, from a rural and underserved area, personal story about being exposed to medicine, medical/research experiences, want to work in primary care and in rural and underserved areas)

Letters - ex-dean/my professor/research professor, internist I worked for, PA shadowed. AT Still said my letters were strong so they aren't holding me back...

Not sure what it is...

I hope this helps others who haven't heard back.

Hoping I get an interview elsewhere, but AT Still was my first choice:(

^Thanks guys! Unfortunately, they wouldn't give me a file review until like a month before CASPA opened last year. I just anticipated doing the things they said to improve my app. Suppose there is no hurt in asking early. I want to get a head start on improving my app just in case I don't hear from anyone else. I'm just curious as to the stats of people getting interviewed to see if there is anything specific they are looking for in applicants. I appreciate the stats post. So far, I think it would be wise to apply in April. Additional patient care hours could only be helpful, but I had an interview last week to do cancer research so I'm hoping to get that position. Do any of you with interviews have professional certifications? I might consider looking into a few as an educational tool. I will message the girl that got in her third try; she might have some great insight. This really is a journey and I wish all of you the best of luck!

I am the girl who applied three years in a row (finalllllllly I got in) : ) the first time I applied to At Still I got an interview; But I was young (21) and I know that I did a horrible job in the interview and I came unprepared. Looking back on that Interview I knew were I went wrong and what to do better the next time around. The second time I applied too late and my app didn't even get reviewed. The third times a charm for me. I got alot more HCE, shadowed two more PA's, and took more science classes. But I think the most important think was my own growth and added experience. I was able to show that to the school during the interview. When it comes down to it, I was not ready to go to PA school the first time I applied, and I am happy that I am now going in with alot more life experience and confidence.

You all are an inspiration! :) This is my first year applying at all. I only applied to 2 schools, am on the waitlist at one and haven't heard back from ATSU yet. Anyone who has applied multiple times, any advice on what to do in the meantime while you wait and may have to reapply? I know you need to re-do personal statements, get more HCE etc but as far as the letters of rec --I thought mine were pretty strong --can you resubmit the same letters or do you need all new letters as well? Thanks in advance for your input!

You all are an inspiration! :) This is my first year applying at all. I only applied to 2 schools, am on the waitlist at one and haven't heard back from ATSU yet. Anyone who has applied multiple times, any advice on what to do in the meantime while you wait and may have to reapply? I know you need to re-do personal statements, get more HCE etc but as far as the letters of rec --I thought mine were pretty strong --can you resubmit the same letters or do you need all new letters as well? Thanks in advance for your input!

Basically, if you are a reapplicant you better have something strong to say when they you are asked the question, "what have you done to strengthen your application since you last applied". That question will come up at interviews, on secondary apps, etc. Your application is yours - it has its own strengths and own weaknesses. What I did was to identify and fix my weaknesses. Personally, my grades needed improvement. After I didn't get in last cycle I went back to school, got a Master's degree, and did well in my classes. I reworked my PS, but most of the changes were to focus on the things that were better about my application. And I submitted new LOR's to reflect what was most recent - I had a professor and my most recent employer (an MD) write me letters that didn't last time. And take advantage of the schools that offer file reviews, especially your top choices. They can really help you figure out what aspects of your app to focus on before your reapply.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the input! I don't think I would have the time to get my master's since the cycle begins again next April...but I have thought about an EMT certification because I find it intriguing and the hands on patient experience could never hurt. Seems like a lot of EMTs have been accepted into programs --it is definitely amazing experience I would imagine.

When re-applying, I resubmitted the same LOR's - with the exception of 1 new one. Additionally, I went back to school and got a Master's. I also teetered the thought of getting EMT certification but I didnt have time with work and school. It is definately something to consider if you have the time.

You have time to get a Masters at an accredited online school if you started within the next couple months. Online programs generally start every week so you dont have to wait until the "next cycle." If you double up on courses (instead of taking 1 at a time) you can finish in < 1 year. I did this and I worked 40 hrs a week and had a social life with no problems. Depends on what type of Masters you are looking to get and where from.

Really? I never thought about doing it online....what did you get your Master's in?

Archived