Senrior COSTEP program

My professor sent a brochure out regarding the Senior COSTEP program. It seems like it is an externship through the federal bureau of prisons. Just wondering if anybody has info on this or knows someone who has done this. Any help would be appreciated!

Here is a blurb describing it:

the Senior Commissioned Officer Student Training and Extern Program (COSTEP), a unique externship program available to physician assistant students enrolled in Bachelors or Masters level programs.. This program provides salary ($3800/month on average) and full benefits to students while they are in their final year of school, in exchange for an employment commitment (typically 18-24 months) after graduation. Students do not have to work while in school.

Senior COSTEP is offered by the U.S. Public Health Service (PHS) Commissioned Corps (http://www.usphs.gov) and participating agencies, like the Federal Bureau of Prisons. The PHS Commissioned Corps is one of the 7 uniformed services in the U.S., and is under the direction of the U.S. Surgeon General. It is designed to be a rapidly mobile cadre of officers that can respond to public health emergencies throughout our nation and sometimes abroad, like Hurricane Katrina and the terrorist attacks on the Word Trade Center and Pentagon. When requested, the Corps also provides medical and administrative service at state funerals, inaugurations, rallies, festivals, and other events where large numbers of people are expected to attend. About 175 officers attended the 2009 Presidential Inauguration in January. Students wishing to service their country in a non-military capacity may find PHS commissioning to be a fulfilling alternative.

I took part in the conference call last week with the recruiters. It seems like a pretty good program overall. They mentioned last year they only had one or two PA's picked up. They picked up tons of nurses and pharm-D's, but only two PA's.

Also, a note for anyone on the fence about the program. If for some reason you get commissioned but do not complete service, you owe the Federal Gov 3x the outstanding money with interest. Suddenly, the 3K per month turns in to 9K pay back with interest.

I've probably got more details and contact info for the recruiters if interested.

That's an excellent option. Thanks for posting that. It's nice to know there are non-military alternatives to NHSC.

The way its is explained is that youre still military...its still one of the uniformed services but you are homeland and you dont go through boot camp or the normal officer commissioning school.

BUT it is still a uniformed service.

For those of you who talked to a recruiter or did a conference call:

I know it says something like $2600/ per month, but did you also get estimates for the food and housing allowance? Also, did you talk to anyone about how much of tuition and fees they would pay? I know the website mentioned it was possible.

I am just trying to get the total estimated value, since you have to pay back the time x2. Not sure if it is a better deal than NHSC.

Note: I searched the jobs in HHS that are currently looking for PAs, and all I came up with was Indian Health Services positions (all in Arizona, Nevada, and one in Utah). Non-HHS all i found was Federal Prison systems. SO im guessing those are the biggest possibilities for PAs in this program.

They get the same benefits as the military so check out usmilitary.about.com they have the pay scales and the amounts for BAH/BAQ

As for tuition I was told there was no tuition assistance formally. If department or site wanted to support you then cool but it would be that department not the program itself if that makes any sense. They pay you monthly so they are not going to pay your tuition too....at least thats how it was explained to me.

Agree with above.

In addition, the jobs posted online are what they are looking for NOW! When programs commission students they are planning at least a year in advance. There might be more opportunities that are not showing as they are in the planning and budget stage.

In addition, those options posted are not necessarily going to be an option for us in the future.

In addition, those options posted are not necessarily going to be an option for us in the future.

That is true and a good point. However, the positions I mentioned were listed as "continuous" so there is actually a chance that there will still be need in a couple of years.

Though you are right, we would be applying for future jobs/programs so the only accurate way is to talk to the actual agencies that are interested.

Good stuff, thanks for the input.

H

I was really interested in this program too and I was going to post and ask if anyone on the PA forum and taken the government up on this opportunity. has anyone had personal experience with it? It sounds like everyone looks into it but few people actually decide to do it. I emailed them and asked some more specific questions to get more information than they sent out in the traditional brochure they gave us. Here is what I received back:

Thank you for your interest in Senior COSTEP. Please take a look at the U.S. Public Health Service website (http://www.usphs.gov/student) to get a general overview and application. The Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) is one of the major participating agencies in Senior COSTEP. The Indian Health Service (IHS) and the Division of Immigration Health Services (DIHS) are the others. A few other agencies may participate on a much smaller scale. Just to clarify, during your Senior year of school, you would not have to work. You would receive salary and allowances as an Ensign in the PHS, but your "duty" would be to go to school and complete your degree requirements to the best of your ability. That's it! In exchange for a commitment to work at the sponsoring agency (BOP, DIHS, or IHS usually) after graduation. The commitment is 2 for 1, so for a 9 month final academic year (for example), it would be an 18 month commitment. After graduation, you would report to your assignment, which in the case of the BOP, would be a federal correctional institution. I have also attached a map of the BOP's locations.

To answer your questions that are not covered by other sections of this email: The medical/dental insurance is provided during school. You'd officially be in the program when your final academic year begins assuming you have met all commissioning requirements by then. So if your year runs Sept. - May, It would be the first day of classes in Sept. or after that if you haven't yet finished the process. It will end upon graduation or degree conferral. You can visit http://www.bop.gov for security levels, but they range from minimum through maximum.

Salary info

For pay info, you may visit: http://www.defenselink.mil/militarypay/mpcalcs/Calculators/RMC.aspx for a pay calculator. During your Senior year while in the program, you'd be the rank of O-1. Once you graduate, you will be promoted to O-2.

Physical Fitness Standards

Please note that height/weight requirements do apply for Sr COSTEP and the Commissioned Corps: http://oep.osophs.dhhs.gov/ccrf/HTWT.htm. PHS staff will also consider BMI and % body fat in determining qualifications. PHS does have annual physical fitness testing that can be satisfied through (1) a 1.5 mile run or a 500 yard swim; push ups, and sit ups/side bridge or (2) earning 20,000 points annually in the President's Challenge (http://www.presidentschallenge.org).

Clinical opportunities in the BOP

Following is more info about the program at the BOP. Other agencies may do things differently. The Federal Bureau of Prisons offers a wealth of opportunities to practice clinically while providing health care to an under-served population in an environment that is safe and secure for both staff and inmates. We offer approximately 100 facilities located throughout the country, ranging from very metropolitan areas to much more rural settings. Our Health Services Units range from ambulatory care clinics for healthy inmates and those with stable chronic health conditions, to 6 medical referral centers housing inmates with acute and unstable chronic medical/surgical and mental health conditions requiring inpatient care. Regardless of the facility to which you are assigned, you'll have tremendous opportunity to learn, grow, and advance under the mentoring of an experienced health professional.

Physician Assistants in the BOP are the primary providers for routine complaints. They provide diagnostic and therapeutic medical care to inmates; assist in the observation and evaluation of patients; take case histories; conduct physical exams, conduct sick call, and order lab tests.

BOP Process

Your acceptance into Senior COSTEP is contingent upon the satisfactory completion of the BOP interview and background investigation, USPHS medical and administrative clearances (i.e. appointment board, suitability checks, etc.). Due to the Bureau's stringent security requirements, you must visit the nearest BOP facility for a pre-employment interview before you can be called to active duty. This will be your opportunity to tour the facility, speak with staff, and get a better idea of what the prison environment entails.

If you do choose to participate in Senior COSTEP with the BOP as your sponsor, upon graduation you will report to your assigned BOP institution. The placement process will commence a 4-5 months prior to your graduation and involves (1) surveying Wardens for their interest in a Senior COSTEP; (2) making that list available to Senior COSTEP officers to rank order their top 5 preferences from that list; (3) a placement board meeting to determine placements. Generally, the placement process will conclude with notification of assignments to all COSTEP officers a couple months prior to graduation. This means that upon entering Senior COSTEP with the BOP as your sponsoring agency, you will not know where you will be assigned. The process is done in this way so that we may have a more accurate assessment of the vacancies at our institutions closer to your date of graduation. Placement will be determined based on the needs of the Agency, the availability of mentors and support for a recent graduate at an institution, and your preferences. Historically, at least 8 out of 10 Senior COSTEP officers receive their first or second choice of available institutions. Feel free to contact me if you have questions about specific facilities or other general questions.

Regards,

Angela

I was really interested in this program too and I was going to post and ask if anyone on the PA forum and taken the government up on this opportunity. has anyone had personal experience with it? It sounds like everyone looks into it but few people actually decide to do it. I emailed them and asked some more specific questions to get more information than they sent out in the traditional brochure they gave us. Here is what I received back:

Thank you for your interest in Senior COSTEP. Please take a look at the U.S. Public Health Service website (http://www.usphs.gov/student) to get a general overview and application. The Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) is one of the major participating agencies in Senior COSTEP. The Indian Health Service (IHS) and the Division of Immigration Health Services (DIHS) are the others. A few other agencies may participate on a much smaller scale. Just to clarify, during your Senior year of school, you would not have to work. You would receive salary and allowances as an Ensign in the PHS, but your "duty" would be to go to school and complete your degree requirements to the best of your ability. That's it! In exchange for a commitment to work at the sponsoring agency (BOP, DIHS, or IHS usually) after graduation. The commitment is 2 for 1, so for a 9 month final academic year (for example), it would be an 18 month commitment. After graduation, you would report to your assignment, which in the case of the BOP, would be a federal correctional institution. I have also attached a map of the BOP's locations.

To answer your questions that are not covered by other sections of this email: The medical/dental insurance is provided during school. You'd officially be in the program when your final academic year begins assuming you have met all commissioning requirements by then. So if your year runs Sept. - May, It would be the first day of classes in Sept. or after that if you haven't yet finished the process. It will end upon graduation or degree conferral. You can visit http://www.bop.gov for security levels, but they range from minimum through maximum.

Salary info

For pay info, you may visit: http://www.defenselink.mil/militarypay/mpcalcs/Calculators/RMC.aspx for a pay calculator. During your Senior year while in the program, you'd be the rank of O-1. Once you graduate, you will be promoted to O-2.

Please note that height/weight requirements do apply for Sr COSTEP and the Commissioned Corps: http://oep.osophs.dhhs.gov/ccrf/HTWT.htm. PHS staff will also consider BMI and % body fat in determining qualifications. PHS does have annual physical fitness testing that can be satisfied through (1) a 1.5 mile run or a 500 yard swim; push ups, and sit ups/side bridge or (2) earning 20,000 points annually in the President's Challenge (http://www.presidentschallenge.org).

Following is more info about the program at the BOP. Other agencies may do things differently. The Federal Bureau of Prisons offers a wealth of opportunities to practice clinically while providing health care to an under-served population in an environment that is safe and secure for both staff and inmates. We offer approximately 100 facilities located throughout the country, ranging from very metropolitan areas to much more rural settings. Our Health Services Units range from ambulatory care clinics for healthy inmates and those with stable chronic health conditions, to 6 medical referral centers housing inmates with acute and unstable chronic medical/surgical and mental health conditions requiring inpatient care. Regardless of the facility to which you are assigned, you'll have tremendous opportunity to learn, grow, and advance under the mentoring of an experienced health professional.

Physician Assistants in the BOP are the primary providers for routine complaints. They provide diagnostic and therapeutic medical care to inmates; assist in the observation and evaluation of patients; take case histories; conduct physical exams, conduct sick call, and order lab tests.

BOP Process

Your acceptance into Senior COSTEP is contingent upon the satisfactory completion of the BOP interview and background investigation, USPHS medical and administrative clearances (i.e. appointment board, suitability checks, etc.). Due to the Bureau's stringent security requirements, you must visit the nearest BOP facility for a pre-employment interview before you can be called to active duty. This will be your opportunity to tour the facility, speak with staff, and get a better idea of what the prison environment entails.

If you do choose to participate in Senior COSTEP with the BOP as your sponsor, upon graduation you will report to your assigned BOP institution. The placement process will commence a 4-5 months prior to your graduation and involves (1) surveying Wardens for their interest in a Senior COSTEP; (2) making that list available to Senior COSTEP officers to rank order their top 5 preferences from that list; (3) a placement board meeting to determine placements. Generally, the placement process will conclude with notification of assignments to all COSTEP officers a couple months prior to graduation. This means that upon entering Senior COSTEP with the BOP as your sponsoring agency, you will not know where you will be assigned. The process is done in this way so that we may have a more accurate assessment of the vacancies at our institutions closer to your date of graduation. Placement will be determined based on the needs of the Agency, the availability of mentors and support for a recent graduate at an institution, and your preferences. Historically, at least 8 out of 10 Senior COSTEP officers receive their first or second choice of available institutions. Feel free to contact me if you have questions about specific facilities or other general questions.

Regards,

Angela

• 3 years later...

Salary info

BOP Process

Regards,

Angela

Quick question KWaldrup. Is starting out at an O-2 an absolute, or is it possible to request and be granted an O-3 ranking?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Quick question KWaldrup. Is starting out at an O-2 an absolute, or is it possible to request and be granted an O-3 ranking?

Your rank is based on your education and applicable work experience. For example, a new grad PA with a masters degree will receive 6 years of credit which puts you at O-2. O-3 requires eight years, which is the credit you would receive for a doctoral degree, pharmD, MD, etc. I believe that if you joined the Corps as a PA with at least two years of professional experience you would be promoted to O-3. Currently, the only profession that can enter the service at a rank higher than O-3 are physicians, unless you have prior active duty uniformed service experience in a grade of O-4 or higher.

Disclaimer: I'm a USPHS officer, but I do not determine your rank. Don't take what I say as a guarantee of what rank you will or will not be assigned.

Archived