I'm curious about the job hunt after graduation (I'll just be starting PA school next summer, but I've got my eye on the prize). I understand the benefit of networking, but others have also mentioned cold-calling. Has anyone here actually received a job offer as a result of a cold-call? At the office where I work, we're pretty good about screening calls and walk-in-reps so they don't waste our/the doctor's time.

Also, for those of you who are cold-calling, or just want a feel for the medical entities in your area, the WebMD Little Blue Book might be a good resource...I saw this book in the clinic where I volunteer...it has a list of all the pharmacies and hospitals in a surrounding area, as well as a pretty comprehensive list of Dr.s by specialty. I think this would be a great resource when I do look for a job.

http://www.tlbb.com/products_tlbb.aspx

Let's see. My present job was a cold call. I was totally determined to live here. I called up my present SPs out of a phone book. They wouldn't talk to me and said they weren't interested (via their office manager). I flew out here and called them again telling them that I was in the area. They did meet with me after work. They expressed no interest in me. I started calling them on a regular basis over the next year. I put together a contract and had the office manager get them to sign it, even though they said they weren't interested, and I moved out. I'm very happy to be living here.

Previous to this, I called Mayo Clinic as a cold call and started bugging them until, a year later they offered me a job. It was a wonderful job.

Before that, I had taken a job that was advertised . . . was a disaster.

I usually set my mind on something and become obsessed with it until I make it happen . . . but that is just me.

Let's see. My present job was a cold call. I was totally determined to live here. I called up my present SPs out of a phone book. They wouldn't talk to me and said they weren't interested (via their office manager). I flew out here and called them again telling them that I was in the area. They did meet with me after work. They expressed no interest in me. I started calling them on a regular basis over the next year. I put together a contract and had the office manager get them to sign it, even though they said they weren't interested, and I moved out. I'm very happy to be living here.

Previous to this, I called Mayo Clinic as a cold call and started bugging them until, a year later they offered me a job. It was a wonderful job.

I usually set my mind on something and become obsessed with it until I make it happen . . . but that is just me.

You are the definition of persistence... I love it! If you want a job...don't apply for it, take it!

Geez Louise! Talk about perseverance.

You're not related to Glenn Close, are you?

I better keep my rabbits locked up if you ever come around my neck of the woods!!! :p

• 3 years later...