New Headache Case

• 1 month later...

Just had a patient in with migraine, her husband stated he was a paramedic and demanded Dilaudid. I refused. He said, "that's what they gave her last week and it worked great!" I said, "I bet. If she was vomiting in front of me, wearing sunglasses, whispering in plead for us to stop talking in our loud baritone voices, then I might consider narcotics." "Well, she was vomiting earlier", he said. "Well, she's not now", I said. So I said, "look let's try my triple-concoction of toradol, prednisone and magnesium, and we'll go from there". They agreed, which made me think, 'okay, not seekers'. I went in a bit later and she was still in pain, so I gave her 5mg of morphine. Sent her home with instructions to drink large amounts of water (she was severely dehydrated, we couldn't even get a line in her) and a prescription for Fiorinal (she already takes Imitrex). She was better and seemed relieved and grateful.

Archived