Did anyone consider nursing before PA (long)

I did when I realized the focus was on "caring" rather than treatment.

I decided I didn't want to just be a nurse when I realized that the focus was on being the code-brown-answering grunt. I don't mind getting my hands dirty. I just want to learn more and do more. (The first time I dissected in lab I realized that my curiosity will never be satisfied in nursing) I'm still in nursing school, but after I get my year of experience, it's off to PA school for me hopefully.

In my case the two paths looked like this:

RN path ---

ADN (2 yr)

BSN (2-3 yrs) while working as RN

NP (3-4 yrs) figuring the programs will all be DNP by then.

Total: (7-9 yrs)

Pros: 9 years from now the youngest will be out of HS, so we won't have moved while they are in school. Schools don't seem to be very competitive to get into. Less debt built up this way.

Cons: Much of that 9 years will be in programs I will be very frustrated in. First two years in a very dysfunctional program.

I think you got your ADN and BSN backwards. At most community colleges, ADN is a two year program plus a year or so of prerequisites. Plenty of universities offer an ADN-BSN bridge program (such as UNC). At UNC it's 5 semesters (including summers), all online (a plus if you're working and have kids) and a relatively light workload. Also, there are ADN-MSN/NP bridge programs. 3 years for ADN plus another 3 years for MSN/NP (BSN being awarded after a few master's prereqs are completed). I haven't looked at a whole lot of colleges about the RN-NP bridge, but here's UNC's website for starters.

UNC Nursing program home page.

RN-BSN homepage.

RN-MSN homepage.

The biggest reason why I'm not going to pursue advanced practice nursing after I finish nursing school is that NPs can't really change specialties as easy as PA's can. (Also medical model>nursing model IMHO, but nursing school gives me a fallback if I don't make it into or through PA school.)

Guest okieday27

I looked hard at them both - just comparing the curricula, I felt that somehow "advanced nursing theory" as opposed to Pathophysiology wasn't going to prepare me for practicing as autonomously as I knew I might be. Personally, I think NPs are a train wreck waiting to happen, especially with all the BSN/NP programs springing up. Go into the interview loaded for bear - study the profession hard, shadow a variety of folks and be able to draw on those experiences for object lessons in your interview. I'm 51 and halfway through my didactic year. Age is only an obstacle if you let it be one.

I started out undergrad as a nursing major. After a couple of nursing classes and all the science I needed to get into the nursing program, I felt like I did not know enough science. I looked into med school, PA school, and also considered sticking with nursing and going the NP route. I ultimately decided that my curiosity and desire to learn would fit best with the medical model, and I didn't want to be in school forever. So, I ditched nursing, graduated early, worked as a CNA and got into PA school. I just finished my first semester of PA school and I know that I am in the right place.

I will be starting PA school this spring (hoooray!).

Currently, I have my BSN. I work on a 20 bed general SICU with a focus in neurosurgery/trauma as a RN at a level one trauma center.

I feel as though (and I think this is due in part to the fact that my patients are extraordinarily sick, and also the fact that I work at a teaching hospital) I am respected by the other members of the team, and I am not seen as a "pill-pusher." Nor am I expected to sit and hold somebody's hand while whispering sweet words to them. That's just not the nurse I am. I am a strong advocate for my patient's who has spent the past few years gaining invaluable experience, and a desire to learn more of the science behind what is happening, and how to fix it. I have sent off labs, suggested tests, etc. to the residents, attendings and extenders.

Health care is a team atmosphere. You have to respect and listen to every voice, because there isn't one person who knows everything. Practitioners who think they are "above" other people will run themselves into the ground.

One of the things that scares me about some PA's is the lack of hands on clinical experience required by some programs. I feel like my success will be due in part to the 3 years I have spent saving and maintaining lives, the clinical knowledge, and prioritization I have acquired.

I do not regret the path that I have taken, and would recommend it to anyone.

Best of luck.

• 3 months later...

Yes, I was a RN b/f PA. In fact for many years. It was b/c I was an RN that I decided to b/c a PA. As an RN working on what we called an open heart surgical floor that I first saw a PA working in cardiology there. I asked the other nurses what he was and was told a PA, I said what's that? This was in the very early 80's. No one knew, so I looked it up for myself. That's when I knew I was going to go on in medicine. Unfortunately there were no PA schools in IL at the time, or so I was told. Instead I did pre reqs. When I finished the pre reqs there were at least 3 schools in IL. I applied and was accepted.

Guest NYstateofmind
OR MD.....

OR you'd be taught FTT in: psych masters or PhD/PsyD, social work MSW, or undergrad psych :-P Guess you better "embrace it".

• 2 years later...

Rehashing an old thread...I was convinced to go NP vs PA because I have no background healthcare experience (career changer from corporate world)...two semesters in to the BSN and I can not stand the nursing model! Do PA schools look unfavorably upon a change in programs? My grades are good (3.75gpa), but this NANDA stuff is silly. I want to treat the disease, not be worrying about 'risk for situational low self esteem'!

Archived