Need some input from PA-Cs

I graduated 3 weeks ago and I'm getting ready for the exam. I feel like I'm ready to take the test, but having some reservations. I've used a book to review what I'm weak on, and that went remarkably well (>70% on all the practice quizzes). But I then transitioned to Exam Master and haven't been doing as well - only about 65%. I'm reviewing key notes in cardiology and pulmonology and that's gone well.

I took two PACKRATs in my training and scored well above the national average on both.

With this information, does it sound like I'm ready? I'm nervous because I have an employer already and, though I will have a provisional license, they won't like it if I don't get certified on my first try.

Advice? Encouragement?

Andrew

I felt like the AAPA questions were most similar to the questions that I encountered on the exam. I did try exam master and found that it wasn't very helpful, and many of the questions were too vague with more than one possible correct answer. I also used the Lange question book, found it more difficult than AAPA but still a great review, especially after reading the answers and explanations. Good luck!

I felt the same way as you Andrew- It wasn't the failing part that scared me really, it was the humiliation of losing my job and having to move out of the state to avoid any PA I ever knew.

Do questions. A ton of questions, but keep it rapid-fire. I felt exam master and kaplan slowed me down too much, so I enjoyed the AAPA/ Davis book/ datachem/ and especially old Packrats.

The Davis book really makes you think so I also found it very helpful. In the first few sections of the book, there is more than one correct answer. Though it's definitely not like the PANCE in this sense, it tests how much you truly know about each topic. The questions toward the end are more like what you'll encounter on the actual exam.

Archived