1. 1. How many on this site have/do belong to, or have:

• their State Society
    • the AAPA
    • their Specialty Society
    • represented in the HOD
    • sat on a state or national committee/council
    • had regular email contact with state/national BOD's
    • sat in the HOD as an independent

Scandalous.....the only water that should go with scotch is frozen......:)

Umm... the scotch is drank straight up no ice/mix/adultrants... the water is drunk inbetween rounds.

Apparently you missed the word "sequence" in my drinking recommendation.

As far as the next part, it IS an obscure internet forum.

So "obscure" that >40k folks have registered here... yeah... ok.

Whatever dude... :wink:

Now that made me laugh. Thanks, I actually needed that today. I can see where some of my posts are probably a little pompous...but so am I....I'm pretty arrogant and I have an ego the size of Canada. I'm probably a little more arrogant than many physicians....but I'm completely okay with that. It's who I am and I wouldn't change it even if I could.

As far as the next part, it IS an obscure internet forum. That doesn't mean that the members or their thoughts/opinions aren't important, but that to think that some small forum is going to change the medical world is sheer folly. It's a place to share thoughts and ideas among like minded professionals sure, but the scope of it's influence is going to be limited. That doesn't mean it isn't a place to visit, and I hope that it continues to grow. Seeing people concerned about their profession is always encouraging as it combats the primary problem with many professions......

Apathy.

1. Acknowledging, accepting or endorsing bad behavior doesn't justify it. But as I've said here before, you can't defeat a determined cretin.

2. Trying to marginalize the presence of the Forum in the PA culture only shows how detached you are. Social media is the primary mode of communication in the world today. PAs here share ideas and views. Those ideas progress to movements. Organization occurs from below as well as in the "guilds". The name change movement has reached thousands through this forum. The fact that you are so dismissive, and so eager to push back on PAs who don't meet your idea of "meritorious involvement", shows your true colors.

The profession needs less of people like you.

2. Trying to marginalize the presence of the Forum in the PA culture only shows how detached you are. Social media is the primary mode of communication in the world today. PAs here share ideas and views. Those ideas progress to movements. Organization occurs from below as well as in the "guilds". The name change movement has reached thousands through this forum.

Where exactly am I dismissive? I support the name change. I always have. You obviously have an intense dislike of me that colors any response you might give.

Social media is important, and this forum is important as it pertains to PA culture.....BUT, in the larger medical environment, it is still a small forum. You obviously didn't read the part where I said that I hope MORE people continue to join and continue to discuss issues of importance. It's much better than the alternative of apathy.

As far as my "bad" behaviour....in whose eyes? Yours? I don't have a singular thing to answer to you for. If you can't conceal your intense dislike of me, then I would suggest that you ignore my postings in the future.

Where exactly am I dismissive?

For a supposedly "smart guy"... your obtuse presentations is telling.

You have... in previous discussions here on this "obscure internet forum," about the direction of the profession and/or what the elected AAPA folks are/are not doing for the average PA... been dismissive of the folks who frequent this "obscure internet forum." So your comment today, characterizing this as a un-important, "obscure" squeek is consistently "dismissive."

Hell... I distinctly recall the embarassment we felt for you a couple yrs ago, of having to "help you up off your knees, and give you a hanky to wipe your chin" when the outgoing AAPA dude came here to instruct us as to how silly we were to even consider a name change (using the same "talking points" you posted above, today in this thread) and how we just wanted to be called "doctor."

Funny thing is that more folks post and read here than did vote in your beloved AAPA's last election. So if I follow your dismissive notion to its logical conclusion, then the AAPA is also a "obscure" guild right... ?

Social media is important, and this forum is important as it pertains to PA culture.....BUT, in the larger medical environment, it is still a small forum. You obviously didn't read the part where I said that I hope MORE people continue to join and continue to discuss issues of importance. It's much better than the alternative of apathy.

Ha...ha... nice try.

NOW you are trying to morph your dismissive quip of "obscure internet forum" to be about "the larger medical environment."

You know good and damned well we are discussing PAdom. We know good and damned well you were specifically trying to belittle the notions of the "few disgruntled, unimportant PAs on this obscure internet forum."

Nice try... but not gonna fly...!!

As far as my "bad" behaviour....in whose eyes? Yours? I don't have a singular thing to answer to you for.

Umm... I think he is referring to your admitted arrogance, pomposity and other such "shennanigans"... that YOU actually wrote about and admitted to in a previous post here in this thread.

Thing is... its always been very apparent that YOU think you are smarter than those who post here... so as is typical, you will respond with some silly, dismissive, half-hearted "Jedi-mind-trick"... cause we be stooopid, backward folk that don't know how the "real world" works.

Carry on...

Actually, I was referring to the Larger Medical world. I don't usually think about "PAdom" specifically...I am usually thinking about systemic issues and how PA's can be used in the LARGER medical world. That's how I view things-systemically, and that was my intent behind that statement. If you interpreted it otherwise, than I can only apologize for a misunderstanding. I would also agree that the AAPA is not a terribly large organization, and politically, really, that is one of our weaknesses.

As far as arrogance, that is in the eye of the beholder is it not? Especially the perception of whether it is good or bad. I know myself, and I know my weaknesses and strengths.

Smarter than you? Wow....I didn't think that was possible, but I'm flattered by the compliment.;) Jedi mind trick...now that's funny.....LOL.

In seriousness, if people have ever taken me as "dismissive" than I would like to apologize to them. That has never been my intent.

Wow. You know reading through the last few responses, one thought occurs to me. How do you (Andersen and Contrarian) even know me? You presume to know everything about me based on some internet posts that are scattered over several years? I would never presume to think that I know "you". As for the profession needing "less people like me", I hope that you can see the rich irony in making that statement when accusing me (and others) of making arbitrary judgments on what the majority of PA's want.

What was lost in all of this, before some decided to make it personal, is that I support the name change. Always have. I am writing an editorial in support of it as I type this. One can be in support of the issue, but see the arguments from the other side as well and I was merely trying to spark discussion and thoughts about WHY some in the AAPA might be opposed, arguments many of you know all too well..

Matt, as far as your statement about the AAPA not even recognizing the issue or putting it on the table.....I agree with you. They need to. I hope that the name change becomes a reality. I think that it will.

Finally, I am very serious about this, IF I have ever been dismissive to ANYONE on this site, please accept my deepest apologies. It was never intended. I have met several of you IRL, including anomaly, EMED, jmj11, primadonna, and others. I don't believe that I have ever been dismissive or anything other than friendly in person, but sometimes communication online can come across wrong. One of the greatest weaknesses with social media.

Where exactly am I dismissive? I support the name change. I always have. You obviously have an intense dislike of me that colors any response you might give.

As far as my "bad" behaviour....in whose eyes? Yours? I don't have a singular thing to answer to you for. If you can't conceal your intense dislike of me, then I would suggest that you ignore my postings in the future.

Dismissive of the relevance of the forum in how it engages PAs way more than any other organization/guild can....without any top-down agenda steering. Dismissive of how it serves as a conduit of information and has used the large database of PAs to provide information on PA practice, politics, and PA education/pre-education. To call it an obscure internet forum is an obvious insult; whether you realize that or not, i don't know. But it is.

You can "hope more people join the forum" .....funny, I wonder how the membership numbers for the AAPA compare the the PA forum.

Second, I don't have any feelings on you either way, but I do have opinions on the AAPA attitude that you represent and endorse here on the forum. It is anti-democratic and not true to the way our national organization should be representing PAs. It seems the AAPA often comes to its PAs with the position of what PAs can do for the AAPA and not vice versa. This "obscure internet forum" has posted multiple news items such as Mike Jones' issue, state chapters not responding to calls for help on practice issues (or better yet, allegedly actively opposing them)....where is the AAPA on those issues? Not supporting PAs in need and failing to submit an issue that 6000 PAs have voiced support for are big failures.

The fact that you admittedly don't think specifically about PAs

I don't usually think about "PAdom" specifically...I am usually thinking about systemic issues and how PA's can be used in the LARGER medical world.

perhaps "colors your response"...

Re behavior, you have admitted pontificated on what isssues are worthy for PAs to tackle while "not thinking about them specifically" and stated that egocentrism and fueling decisions on money are somehow appropriate. I'll leave that judgment to others, but seems pretty weak to me.

You're right, you don't have a single thing to answer for- so why bother asking me these questions?

Wow. You know reading through the last few responses, one thought occurs to me. How do you (Andersen and Contrarian) even know me? You presume to know everything about me based on some internet posts that are scattered over several years? I would never presume to think that I know "you". As for the profession needing "less people like me", I hope that you can see the rich irony in making that statement when accusing me (and others) of making arbitrary judgments on what the majority of PA's want.

What was lost in all of this, before some decided to make it personal, is that I support the name change. Always have. I am writing an editorial in support of it as I type this. One can be in support of the issue, but see the arguments from the other side as well and I was merely trying to spark discussion and thoughts about WHY some in the AAPA might be opposed, arguments many of you know all too well..

Matt, as far as your statement about the AAPA not even recognizing the issue or putting it on the table.....I agree with you. They need to. I hope that the name change becomes a reality. I think that it will.

Finally, I am very serious about this, IF I have ever been dismissive to ANYONE on this site, please accept my deepest apologies. It was never intended. I have met several of you IRL, including anomaly, EMED, jmj11, primadonna, and others. I don't believe that I have ever been dismissive or anything other than friendly in person, but sometimes communication online can come across wrong. One of the greatest weaknesses with social media.

I know enough of the representation you've created for yourself here. Neither I (nor Contrarian) have ever suggested to "know everything about you". Put the ego in check. It's about the AAPA-centric attittude you represent.

it's not about whether YOU support the name change or not. No one cares about that. It's supporting the fact that the AAPA (BOD, which has more influence than just responding to the HOD) has not brought the issue out, especially given the groundswell of response.

I said the profession needs less people like you as my opinoin. Not "the profession said they need less people like you", which would be "making arbitrary judgments on what the majority of PA's want".

Fair enough. But I'm not as AAPA centric as you might believe. I am merely positing WHY they might be doing what they are doing. I am not in fact, in agreement with them on this issue and plan on challenging them on this.

If I was in fact, AAPA centric, I would never have signed the initial 100 leader pledge.

I've posted a thread in The Recovery Room, probably more appropriate than this forum, to explain a little bit about who I really am, and where I am coming from at times. Rather than make assumptions, it might be helpful to read that.

As far as fueling decisions on money.....everyone does. That's the way the world works. Money talks....everything else is just.......noise. As far as egocentrism....Yes, I am....I am also far too damn old to change too much. Believe it or not, I am far better than I used to be. It's who I am. Most who have ever met me in person, would tell you that I am a nice guy....(I think at least)......but they can state their own opinions.

Finally, I wish to apologize for the "obscure internet forum" comment, I can see how that would be interpreted as an insult, and it wasn't really intended to be so. Merely pontificating....Ben Franklin said it best when he said "Thinking aloud is responsible for much of man's misery" I am guilty of that here.

been stareing at the gulf for a few days , come back to the blog and find that a few of you guys need a few days looking at the gulf as well...not the growing gulf between some of this blogs more prolific contributiors. gulf of mexico...rec it highly...beer, breeze......deep breath...now thats better.. you guys are pretty sharp .. now go out there and stamp out disease at the cellular level, defeat death and mortality at the outset..make some money...

I can see where some of my posts are probably a little pompous...but so am I....I'm pretty arrogant and I have an ego the size of Canada. I'm probably a little more arrogant than many physicians....but I'm completely okay with that. It's who I am and I wouldn't change it even if I could.

Great. Just what this country needs is more arrogant health care providers. What a service it provides our patients, coming for help in times of needs...And what a wonderful work environment and culture it fosters for all involved. Thank you for providing such great service.

Archived