Winthrop Jan 2012 Start Date

Hello my name is Aristoteli (Telly), I was accepted into the Winthrop Jan 2012 start class. I was told the class will have around 30 students, but I would rather not wait until we start to meet each other. This is a good place to start introductions and if we want maybe do a little mixer in a couple of months. We are going to spend a lot of time together and will need each others support to succeed.

BIO:

Aristoteli (Telly) Dorizas 35 New York Native

I served in the Navy from 98-06 as a Deep Sea Diver & Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician. During this time I deployed to numerous US states and served overseas in Iraq. After getting out of the Navy, I worked on various Government contracts and I was a regional sales manager for a company who provided tactical equipment to the Naval Special Warfare Community. I lived in San Diego, CA from 99-09, when I returned to NY to finish my Under-grad. I completed my BS-Technology Studies (pre-med) at SUNY Farmingdale here on long island. I currently live in Franklin Square, which is about 15-20 from Winthrop Hospital.

I currently work pert-time as a skydiving instructor at skydive long island in Calverton, NY and as a part-time waiter at Vinoco a small restaurant around the corner from Winthrop. For fun I like to; skydive, snowboard, bike, ice hockey, fly, and anything active... I'm going to have to learn how to enjoy studying for the next two years b/c that's all we'll be doing.

I picked up a couple of books on medical terminology, physiology, and pharmacology to start reviewing...

post-49575-13793485051_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

That's tough. I live near the winthrop campus, which is really just an office building on the border of Garden City and Mineola. There are quite a few apartment buildings in the area but not too sure what they rent for. A few days a week we will be required to drive to the Bay Shore campus to take classes as well.

1. Where are you coming from?

2. Will you have a car?

3. Alone or with family?

4. Do you need or would you like a roommate?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Congrats. Looks like there are three of us so far. My name is Marty and I'll come back with a bio and pic, but I figured I'd say hello. I've been trying to pack in enjoying my life right now knowing that we are gonna have some serious work to do, but I think we'll have fun too. Aristoteli, I'll see you tonight, and jjdavies05 I look forward to meeting you.

Best, Marty

Had all of my immunizations/TB skin test/labs done Friday.... H1N1/more labs done today... I think my body is trying to figure out why i am letting these MAs poke me with so many needles lol. MMR to the triceps, burrrnned!

Anyways, good to see another soldier with us. Can't wait to fly out. Maybe we can coordinate something and meet up while I am in town apartment hunting (do not have a set date just yet). I am working around biochemistry and the physical therapy clinic, but i should have it planned very soon :)

Hopefully more accepted students begin to chime in over the next few weeks.

Hi, my name is Preet(female) and I'm 22 y/o. I am from CT. I graduated in 2011 with a b.a. in biology. I currently work as an EMT. I'm curious to see where every one is getting housing. I was hoping we can stick around in the same area so its easier to stay in touch. Is any one nervous like me? Also, do you guys know anyone one in the Touro program right now that can provide us with a prospective on how it will be like?

Welcome :)

I probably should share a little about myself. My name is Jon, I am 24 and live in Arizona. I graduated from ASU with a degree in kinesiology and currently work as a physical therapy technician.

We are in the same boat... I am trying to find housing ASAP. Let me know if you find anything.

Pm me for contact information

Preet,

CT isn't too bad. You have it easier than Jon being on the other side of the country. I am helping him, so feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to give you useful answers. I am hoping to get some good study groups together and carpools, we will need each other to get through this so lets start now.

Telly

I stopped by the Winthrop campus today. Nothing specialthat's for sure, the class is small, but there is a little lounge area and wecan do a coffee and snack fund if we all agree. The word I received was once weare done with the first year, we will never see the inside of a classroom againat Touro. The second year classes are all distant learning for the masters withone meeting with our advisor each semester. We will also get a book list but Iwas told not to purchase anything except the medical terminology book (PM me ifyou need the details) until we meet the professor incase anything has changed.

We are no longer in competition with each other to get into a program; we needto come together as a team so we can make it through this very expensive program...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Congrats and welcome to the team. With you, five of us are on this site. I sent the webpage to Jennifer Christie to pass onto students accepted. I am going to try and get everyone together next month just as an icebreaker. Also post any questions you may have or info that might help us here.

Hey everyone! I'm Adina - 21, NY. I graduated with my BS in Bio in June '10 and have volunteered as a nursing assistant in the ICU and dialysis center. Last i heard, the class is at least half full - i'm sure just not e/o knows about this website. Looking forward to meeting you guys.

Shoot me a PM with your e-mail and I will send you what I have. As far as books, I was told not to buy anything except the medical terminology book. Sometimes the instructors change books the last minute. I submitted my aid stuff already and should be done with it, but I'm stopping in on Wed just to make sure things are good. FYI- the first two semesters are considered under-grad.

Hi, do u know when they will send info about book lists and what we need before classes start? Also, how are all of your financial aid things going?

Archived