2012 applicants?

If you have to retake your science core, I would suggest going to SCUHS in whittier. I took my A&P & micro there. Takes 3 months for all three classes. Saturday & sunday from 8-6 but it's so worth it! Time wise you would be looking at a year plus. I took 2 out dated Bs & a C and came out with 3 As in just 3 months. I highly recommend that school if you are willing to study your *** off..4 chalets a weekend, a test every weekend, but great teachers. Go for it!

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not yet. I'm hoping the longer I make it before hearing back the better. I know a few people from last year and the year before that got in and did not get their letters until the very end of march/beginning of april. Also I know one of them got a phone call and then a letter. Good luck to all of you guys & girls on hear that have applied to start in 2012. I hope to see some of you later this year :heheh:

So has anyone out there heard anything yet? Either acceptance or denial? If no one has yet gotten an acceptance letter, I'm thinking they probably are starting with denial letters as they eliminate applicants to narrow down the best qualified candidates. Anyone else agree or have any thoughts on why no one has heard anything yet seeing as how we are now at the end of february? I understand the selection is very challenging & must take quite awhile but im getting so anxious with this wait.

Paprospect - there is a requirement for PA to have a masters degree by 2020 . While schools like RCC and Stanford don't offer a MS (or a bachelors) you can get one through St Frances while attending the RCC or Stanford program. To be eligible for the Masters route I believe you will have to have a bachelors degree.

Paprospect - there is a requirement for PA to have a masters degree by 2020 . While schools like RCC and Stanford don't offer a MS (or a bachelors) you can get one through St Frances while attending the RCC or Stanford program. To be eligible for the Masters route I believe you will have to have a bachelors degree.

Thanks for the response mike!

this I am aware of, however just last week I forewent finishing my Bachelors so I can work full time toward my HCE and hopefully apply in 2013. That would really be wrench in my plans if they will be requiring a BA/BS by 2013 but that seems a little too quickly to make the transition.

Yeah that letter had me going through all sorts of emotions. But I will persevere :) I just hope I can get into an anatomy class this summer so I can apply in August. I have also thought of changing my path to go to nursing school, but I feel PA is it for me :) so I'm going to keep on trucking!

I am happy to see that there are others experiencing the same range of emotions that I am in regards to hearing, or rather, not hearing whether we have been accepted into the program or not. I did receive my postcard well over a month ago and anticipated hearing something by the end of February. Well, February came and went and I still hadn't heard from anyone -- just like most others. However, I did finally get a live person on the phone when I called and I believe it may have been a student. She advised me that a bulk of "no" letters had already been sent out earlier in February. If I remember correctly she told me that the committee was extremely busy working on credentials (that is the part I am unsure of). And, that I should anticipate a letter by the end of March. I sure hope I get in; this wait is extremely stressful.

I am just curious has anyone else heard anything be it a "yes" or "no"? And, if so, can you please share your information. Thank you :). Good luck to us all and happy waiting.

The staff is busy working on accreditation right now... we have a "site visit" coming up soon to maintain our accreditation, so they are checking to make sure everything is up to date and what not. Oh, by the way, the PA office is moving from the humanities building to the PSC (portables) area one weekend this month. Might mean the phones could be down during the move, but shouldn't be for long.

Be patient.... I know it's hard... we were all going crazy last year about this time, too. Happens every year I understand... :)

The staff is busy working on accreditation right now... we have a "site visit" coming up soon to maintain our accreditation, so they are checking to make sure everything is up to date and what not. Oh, by the way, the PA office is moving from the humanities building to the PSC (portables) area one weekend this month. Might mean the phones could be down during the move, but shouldn't be for long.

Be patient.... I know it's hard... we were all going crazy last year about this time, too. Happens every year I understand... :)

Pam you are so helpful. I appreciate all your input on this site. I read your Path to PA blog yesterday too, it was so informative! Although I have gone to two of the PA orientations there are always so many questions left unanswered or questions that were answered very vaguely. At this point after reading through the blog and forum I am even more nervous -- to the point that I am pretty stressed out, more than I was when I just didn't know.

I have a cumulative GPA of 3.82 in 66 college units (all but 6 were completed at RCC). I live in RCC's district, I live in Corona. I have taken all the required courses and a few additional electives to remain a "full-time" student. I have not taken any of the PA programs recommended courses, however. I was very thorough on my application and think that my Personal Statement was better than good. I was employed full-time as a Medical Assistant in a Doctor's/Chiropractic's office from 9/2/1996-10/31/1997, just over a year and, yes, that long ago; this is what worries me. I did ask Ms. Middleton at orientation whether my time would count from years ago. She answered "how long ago, we would want something more recent than say 20 years ago" and I told her I wasn't sure of the exact dates but that I know it was 1996-1997 and she said "you should be fine." The word should frightened me! I would have worked there longer but I only made a tiny bit more than minimum wage, was married and we were expecting my second child towards the end of my employment. We moved from Riverside County to Orange County to save up by living with my Grandmother. Making just over minimum wage, no longer having my sister to care for my youngest child would have meant I had to put him in daycare (which was expensive), and having to commute just didn't make sense. It was for those reasons that I quit.

I felt much more confident about getting into the program until I thoroughly read this forum and saw that students that fell in the first tier were rejected because of something as simple as the Doctor's form read "see attached document," or GPA, when in orientation we are lead to believe it is based on tiers and not GPA. As if a 4.0 student had the same chance as a 3.0 student if they fell in the same tier... Luckily I was there when the doctor's that I worked for filled in the required forms. Although everything was filled in on the documents provided, which I asked for a copy of, I am worried that it may have been too vague...??? One of the doctors answered this way: Maturity: Very mature, Emotional Stability: Very stable emotionally, Learning ability: Learns fast, Interpersonal Skills: Very good, Clinical Skills: Excellent, Additional Comments: Kimberly is a person who sets a goal and does not stop until she reaches her goal. The other Doctor said: Maturity: Employee was 19 years of age as best as we can recall, mature, & gave good attention to patients, Emotional Stability: Very stable even with stress situations, Learning Ability: Learned office procedure quickly, Interpersonal Skills: Very good with both doctors and patients, Clinical Skills: Excellent, Additional Comments: Kimberly has the skill, tenacity, & maturity to become a excellent physician assistant (underlined words are not typed errors, but rather, exactly what the Doctor wrote and I realize it is incorrect). And, both doctors indicated that I have their highest recommendation.

Given all that said I hope I still have a chance. I am to the point where this is ALL that I think about. I am nervous, anxious, stressed, and excited -- what a combination!!!! :) Sorry for the long-winded life story. And, to think I still could go on. But, I'll stop, lol!

Kimberly Angeles

There are several in our class that don't have a degree. That's one of the positives about our program compared to other programs that require it. As far as GPA, I think I had a 3.6 or 3.7 or something like that in my prereqs. The recommended class is just medical terminology beyond the prereqs I believe. Good to have under your belt but some of our class hadn't taken it. On the LOR, doctors are known for making very short replies because they are so busy. I can't shed any light on your health care experience, though. We all came from different backgrounds; I'm honestly not sure who had more hours or less hours in our group. I think it may depend on who is applying beside you... if the group you apply with each have 20 years of experience, you may come up short if you don't totally rock the other requirements. But, the opposite could be true as well. Try your hardest to relax and keep yourself busy and try not to think about it till maybe the last week of this month... that's when our letters came.

There are several in our class that don't have a degree. That's one of the positives about our program compared to other programs that require it. As far as GPA, I think I had a 3.6 or 3.7 or something like that in my prereqs. The recommended class is just medical terminology beyond the prereqs I believe. Good to have under your belt but some of our class hadn't taken it. On the LOR, doctors are known for making very short replies because they are so busy. I can't shed any light on your health care experience, though. We all came from different backgrounds; I'm honestly not sure who had more hours or less hours in our group. I think it may depend on who is applying beside you... if the group you apply with each have 20 years of experience, you may come up short if you don't totally rock the other requirements. But, the opposite could be true as well. Try your hardest to relax and keep yourself busy and try not to think about it till maybe the last week of this month... that's when our letters came.

Okay, I will try to do that. I already feel a bit better after reading your post and realizing that there are some in the program without a college degree. Instead of spending my days checking for the mail or checking this forum for posts i will return to my regular mother/wife duties that i have slacked on in order to worry about this. I will wait anxiously and hopefully for the letter to come sometime towards the very end of this month. After all, i have waitd since august, what is another three weeks?

You are awesome, Pam. Again, thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule and posting all you post here in this forum and on your blog. It has been and continues to be very informative. Your biography is amazing, you have an admirable character. :).

Pam,

I hope all it's going well with you and your classes/rotations. I know you are busy, but I have a question for you. I was wondering if you know/have an idea of how much of the application is weighted on the "over-all gpa". I have a 4.0 science gpa, 3.6 prerequisite but a 2.9 overall gpa. I have a B.S. in Neuroscience & 4500 hours of HCE as a medical assistant for an M.D. as well as about 250 of scrubbing in & observing mostly spine surgeries but also various arthroscopic surgeries, carpal tunel releases, & other smaller surgeries. Given that I live in riverside, attended over 70 units at rcc before & after I transfered to ucr to obtain my bachelors, have pretty good HCE, & given my science gpa is perfect & my prerequisite gpa is competitive, how badly do you or anyone out there with first or second hand knowledge feel this 2.9 over-all gpa will effect me from being accepted? Thanks in advance, looking forward to hearing back. Brian.

Pam,

I hope all it's going well with you and your classes/rotations. I know you are busy, but I have a question for you. I was wondering if you know/have an idea of how much of the application is weighted on the "over-all gpa". I have a 4.0 science gpa, 3.6 prerequisite but a 2.9 overall gpa. I have a B.S. in Neuroscience & 4500 hours of HCE as a medical assistant for an M.D. as well as about 250 of scrubbing in & observing mostly spine surgeries but also various arthroscopic surgeries, carpal tunel releases, & other smaller surgeries. Given that I live in riverside, attended over 70 units at rcc before & after I transfered to ucr to obtain my bachelors, have pretty good HCE, & given my science gpa is perfect & my prerequisite gpa is competitive, how badly do you or anyone out there with first or second hand knowledge feel this 2.9 over-all gpa will effect me from being accepted? Thanks in advance, looking forward to hearing back. Brian.

I think that with your prereq GPA and the fact that you live in Riverside you a good chance IMO.

Pam,

I'm sorry.. I can't really answer that with any clarity. I'm not sure how important or weighted each requirement is. I just know they compare quality of experience, GPA, LOR, pre-req gpa, overall gpa and somehow also place priority on where you live as well.

Pam:

Thanks for such a quick response. I appreciate that. Hopefully it doesn't effect me too badly and that my other stronger areas will balance out & over come this weakness. How many health care experience hours did you have when you applied?

Bike Mike:

Thank you for your response as well. I hope you are correct, I'm hoping that my other 2 gpa's will "over power" my over all gpa. I know a lot of schools tend to look at science gpa and their specific pre req. gpa as having a little more significance than the overall gpa. I had an interview at Western University back in january & my interviewer specifically told me that is how Western works do fingers crossed!

hey everyone i just spoke to someone from RCC and she told me that we wont find out if we got in until sometime in April. She said they were still reviewing applications and we should try to wait patiently. Good Luck to all of us and I hope this kind of helps calm our nerves until April :)

hey everyone i just spoke to someone from RCC and she told me that we wont find out if we got in until sometime in April. She said they were still reviewing applications and we should try to wait patiently. Good Luck to all of us and I hope this kind of helps calm our nerves until April :)

Argh.. It keeps getting longer & longer! I bet they are getting annoyed of answering the same questions over and over on the phone lines though. Postcards said february (but I didn't expect til march anyways), then bike mike said they told him end of march on the phone, now they told you april! Its ok though we can wait a lil longer, I know they are super busy with accreditation, running the program for the seniors and the first years, and on top of all that, sorting out our applications & selecting students for this next year. And im sure there is more we dont even know about. Its a huge effort just to sort through the remaining qualified applicants. Lets give them some space & let them knock this out! I'm sure they ayre going as fast as possible while still making good decisions. Goodluck all! Hope to see you guys later this year!

Argh.. It keeps getting longer & longer! I bet they are getting annoyed of answering the same questions over and over on the phone lines though. Postcards said february (but I didn't expect til march anyways), then bike mike said they told him end of march on the phone, now they told you april! Its ok though we can wait a lil longer, I know they are super busy with accreditation, running the program for the seniors and the first years, and on top of all that, sorting out our applications & selecting students for this next year. And im sure there is more we dont even know about. Its a huge effort just to sort through the remaining qualified applicants. Lets give them some space & let them knock this out! I'm sure they ayre going as fast as possible while still making good decisions. Goodluck all! Hope to see you guys later this year!

Archived