Is this normal??

I contacted a PA for a shadowing opportunity, and got an email back within a few hours (YES!).

I am posting the email here to see if anyone has heard of having to do something like this before (names and institution blocked out for obvious reasons) and if it sounds fishy to you all...I know this guy is a legit PA because I found him on the PASO website.

The email is as follows:

Thanks for your email. I will be happy to try to facilitate you shadowing me and others here at INSTITUTION. We enjoy providing this service to prospective PA students, since we were once in the same place as you are now. Please provide me the month you are interested in doing this, including the days of the week and times you are available. Some doctors prefer only a certain number of days they will allow. In my case, my doctor only allows Tuesday mornings and not more than a couple in a month. Depending on your schedule, I can ask him what alternate day he might permit and how many days, if Tuesday mornings don’t work for you.

INSTITUTION has an application process through its Med Ed department, which includes a $100 fee for processing and background check. Also, you must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate college program. Prior to submitting your application, you have to provide them the doctors you will be with (every PA has a supervising doctor), because they will have to provide their approval. I believe there is a limit of 30 days. But, it also depends on the doctor(s). So, it might be less than 30 days. The application documents and Med Ed will explain this more.

If you send me your schedule and time period, I can check with some of my PA colleagues to see who might be interested in participating. This way, you might get an opportunity to shadow in different specialties, such as trauma medicine, surgery, oncology, ICU, etc. Once you have this and know how many days you will have for the month, you can start the application process.

I hope this helps and look forward to hearing back from you.

$100 fee?? Really?! I am currently shadowing 2 other PAs at a similar institution and did not have to pay anything. What do you guys think?

I don't know about that, seems like an automated reply. I never had to pay a fee to shadow but if it is indeed a legit opportunity to shadow, can you really put a price on your future?

Right. I wouldn't mind paying to be able to have some guaranteed shadowing hours...but what I pulled away from this email was that he was basically saying I have to pay $100 for only a few times of shadowing, since he said the limit is 30 days, or in the case of other doctors, less than 30 days. I don't know if I'm too keen on shelling out $100 for only like one or two times...

Every institution has their own policy. We don't require a background check, only HIPPA and some identification. The background checks and more extensive clearance is for students who actually have clinical duties, not just observation.

AND....I have never informed my SPs of shadows. The just meet them on the day of the observation.

But- to each his own.

I had to go through eLearning modules and submit to a background check, TB test and I also had to provide a current BLS card. At first I was a little put out by their "hoop jumping", but I do understand the reasoning. There was information to provide about my intentions of going to PA school as well. I didn't mind doing this, and they hospital said the information will stay on file for a year. I was welcome to shadow their one PA in the ER any time. I worked as a Respiratory Therapist in this facility, and all of this info was in my personnel file. Since I was no longer employed there, I had to go through all of these steps like any other outsider.

I live in a pretty rural area, the hospital is small in comparison to other. Everyone who knows me, knows I am working to be a PA. The nature of HIPPA, and other regulations call for these precautions to be met by everyone.

I personally would not pay $100 for a half day of shadowing UNLESS I had no other option. But there are plenty of PA's out there to shadow that won't require a large fee. For a $100 bucks you could almost find a cheap plane ticket and shadow somebody in a different state, just for kicks.

Just thought I would say that at my institution (large, urban teaching hospital) there is a policy that students (again only students) can shadow a total of 8 hrs without needing a background check/proof of immunizations/TB test. After that 8 hrs there is a 85 dollar fee to have those things completed through corporate health and to get an ID badge. Many departments look the other way and let students shadow a few times without this requirement. My department (Emergency Medicine) follows this requirement and as a result have a lot less students at any given time in our department. For us it is a matter of safety for the students and patients in a busy, hectic level 1 trauma center. So while I don't think it is a scam if you have other options I would do that...

UPDATE** I just shadowed a different PA today, who works for the same healthcare system. She said it's legit, but it's true about having to pay $100 for 30 days. Her policy is a bit different, as she allows students to shadow on the weekends without a badge, but if I wanted to come during the week to see operations, GSWs, and more interesting things, I would need a badge by paying the $100. She also told me that they don't take the badge away from you after 30 days, so I'd be welcome to come back after those 30 days for more shadowing in trauma. Thought I'd post an update in case anyone ever runs in to the same type of dilemma. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Wow! Not sure what states/areas you guys are from but if I were you I'd look around! What kind of reference are you going to get from someone you've only shadowed a couple of times? Did they promise you a reference? Many of them tell you to write it and they'll sign it. Make sure and ask these questions before you blindly give an outfit $100 for a limited amount of time!

Archived