Holding Nuclear Medicine Cert

I am a PA student, and I was wondering if there was any benefit marketing-wise or salary-wise to holding a certification in Nuclear Medicine. A few years ago I got a degree in Nuclear Medicine Technology and to this day, I still am a bored certified and state licensed technologist. I will probably wont let it lapse; unless I find that they are not going to pay me more or put it to use. Does anyone have any info that might shed light on this situation for me?

Thank you,

Jim

Keep it, nuclear cardiology and the increased use in oncology may give you a leg up in job applications in the future in thoes areas. ARRT and NMTCB are not expensive to keep up. State license may be more $$, but in th elong run it is easier to hold it than to get it back again.

You earned your certification and degree, so I agree to keep it. As far as a job with a Radiology group paying extra for it - I know my group would not simply because I am utilized as a PA in U/S, Angio, and Ct, but never nuclear - but you never know what type of arrangement you may come up with in the future. Good luck in your studies!

I have heard at least in Texas they are going to change a couple of things. It wouldn't hurt to have it, and perhaps make you illegible to be on a RAM license to do therapy. Right now the law isn't there, but there is a bill making its way. I know here they are wanting so much CMEs/Continuing ED credits to let PA's and NP's even use fluro, let alone doing anything in nuclear. Keep it, it's like 30 dollars a year. ARRT is a bit more expensive; something like 50 but lasts 2 years. Besides most doctors can't even get on an average RAM license. With your degree / cert some of these docs may pay well if you can be an RSO as well. I just know Texas is cracking down on docs even being able to be RSOs these days.

Andrew

RT® (N) (MR) (CT) CNMT - NCT

I forgot about the RSO spot, yeah that would be really good! I suppose it might have its perks for cardiology as well depending on the facility,and its equipment. I know a lot of facilities here in Florida, who's bread and butter are stress/rest test. like you said you never know what arrangement you will be in, so I would be a fool to let it go. I guess my real question was what specialty would have benefited the most with me having it, as i dont want to waste any form of my education. I see so many people, even lots of my friends who have to usually start over, or give up something, in turn to peruse something else. Im trying to keep it all on the same track with the least deviation and conflicts possible :)

Hey, I am also a PA-S with nuclear certification. I have no plans on letting it lapse, because as previously said it is not that expensive to maintain and I can't imagine letting it lapse for any reason. I do not know if it will ever lead to something, but nonetheless you never know. I hope to work in cardiology, so at the very least maybe it will give me a leg up over another candidate because I already have a background in one of the major tests used in cardiology.

Good Luck

Archived