Dumping MD for PA?

This post is somewhat dated, and all I can give you is my opinion as a PA applicant, so take it with a grain of (rock) salt. You are in 3rd year, with a mountain of debt. 3rd year sucks, that has been well established. (Thank you Panda Bear M.D.) You do not have to transition into a residency following graduation if you do not want to. You could pursue a completely different avenue (i.e. MD/MBA-consulting, or MD/PhD-research) For example, Dartmouth College offers the PEMM (Program in Experimental and Molecular Medicine) PhD program that covers tuition and provides a stipend (~25K/yr) through research grants. If I were in your shoes I would tough it through 3rd year, take a 'radio-holiday' for the 4th year and take that time to evaluate whether or not I wanted to continue pursuing medicine, rather than ejecting prematurely. To me it just does not make sense jumping ship at this point, to try a flanking manuever by pursuing medicine as a PA rather than an MD.

P.S. Thank you for the imagery Contrarian. As a Paratroop Medical Sergeant that was assigned to and deployed with the 82nd Airborne Division (OIF, 5-73 Recon), I laughed out loud about the JROTC comment.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ardennes

Gruber Rd

St Mere Eglise

Rhine Luzon

Sicily

SmokeBomb Hill

"The Stab & Jab"

"The Flamin Mug"

Mott Lake

Ahh, 82nd land...how about Division Review, or All American Week, or the lovely 0630 Mega Voice: Hmmm...10 minutes...Get Ready!....Stand Up!.....Hook Up!....Check Equipment....Sound Off For Equipment Check!....Ok, Ok, Ok.....Standby!....GO!!!!....Here we go, All the way...gotta be...Rough & Tough...

After a few years out of Division, my feelings have not changed. I am glad that I did it, and I am glad that it's over. The 82nd life beats on your mind and body somethin' fierce.

OP, I hope you update soon on what has happened in the past several weeks. I selfishly want you to continue your ranting and elaborate on what factore have gone into whatever decision you've made. While I am searching for my own path either PA or MD I think I could learn as much and maybe more from someone who has decided to end a medical pursuit and why, than from someone who just describes the steps as they complete them. Hopefully, you were just having a bad week, month...and venting some frustration. As an undergrad I don't have any advice, but we on here can learn alot from you as you work through this. Thanks and best of luck.

PS. Post after post I kept hoping that Happiness would respond only to be amazed when they actually did and having the courage/audacity to do so in arguing with Contrarian. LOL

PS. Post after post I kept hoping that Happiness would respond only to be amazed when they actually did and having the courage/audacity to do so in arguing with Contrarian. LOL

Interesting...

To be clear, are you saying that:

YOU kept "hoping" this person would have the "courage/audacity" to continue to ignore the clear signs that the OP is/was stressed and decompensating emotionally and needs some help/counseling/therapy. So that YOU could gain what...????

YOU kept "hoping" this person would have the "courage/audacity" to continue to opine about things she OBVIOUSLY know nothing about or have experience in to the potential detriment of others. So you can gain what...???

YOU kept "hoping" this person (who has never EVER actually worked in healthcare in any direct patient healthcare role) would have the "courage/audacity" to continue giving poor advice based upon her "ideals" versus the ideas and realities of caring for real live people.

YOU kept "hoping" this person would have the "courage/audacity" to continue to ignore the fact that the OP was/is contemplating making a ir-reversible, life altering decision... based upon what seems to be poorly founded myths and ideas concerning MY profession (happiness isn't a PA, NP, MD, DO, RN, etc... therefore can't/shouldn't try to speak to what its REALLY like being any of those things.)

YOU kept "hoping" this person would have the "courage/audacity" to continue to do all the above without any consideration of or care about the underlying implications and/or potential results.

Am I clear in under/overstanding what you were "hoping" for...???

If not... please clarify

Thanks,

Contrarian

To be continued...

Hi everyone,

First of all, I want to apologize for not replying to your posts earlier. I haven't been on the forums for a while. I'd also like to apologize for bumping an old thread (in case there are people opposed to doing that).

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to look at and reply to this thread. I appreciate every single post. And I am especially grateful to the readers/posters who have served in the military.

A little update:

I am on a one year loa (not exactly my choice). I go to therapy every week and am taking some anti-depressants. So far, I can say that the drugs have definitely helped. I am feeling better and seem to have more energy than usual.

I am also working a part time job while studying for the step1. I would attempt to pass the exam some time next year. Once that is through, I would be able to request the school admin to allow me back in. Though at this time I'm not sure I want to go back.

At this moment, I am able to work during the day and then look forward to free time once my work is finished. This schedule has reminded me just how much I miss having such free time to pursue my own dreams outside of medicine. These were things I couldn't do while in med school (and I doubt I would have the time for these things as a physician).

Best of luck to everyone.

• 9 years later...