One of my references missed the deadline

I'm not sure what to do and I thought perhaps someone here has had the same problem.

I asked all of my references for letters in the last week of July and submitted CASPA on 8/3. Kind of late, I realize.

Everyone agreed to send their letters before September 1st because that was my first application deadline. Two of my references sent their letters in about a week ago but this one person didn't do his. Between July and now I sent the guy two reminder emails and I dropped by to visit him a couple of times (it's a rather low-volume pharmacy) including the day before the reference was due and he promised he would sent it on 9/1. Well, I waited all day and he never submitted it.

I don't know what to do. I gave him every opportunity to tell me he couldn't do the reference and he indicated that he would have no problem. I know that he has pretty ample free time outside of work. I just can't understand how or why he would miss the deadline. Has anyone had this problem? How do I approach the person without making them mad and getting a crappy letter? Since I had two letters sent in before the September 1st deadline, I think my application will still be reviewed but I still need that 3rd letter asap and I'm afraid this cat and mouse game could go on for a while.

I would find a new reference.

I agree with this statement as well. If he doesn't have time to submit the reference in time with your ample reminders, he may not have time to write a good letter in the first place. Worried about this same issue, I told my references I was shooting for a date weeks before I actually submitted CASPA. I had one reference that took a while, and at one point sent an email saying something like "I notice that CASPA says the reference is still missing. I wanted to check in with you first before I call them and inquire about an error on their end." You know, something that gives them the opportunity to rectify the situation without actually pointing the finger. In the meantime, I'd start pursuing different LOR options.

Thanks to all. I was pretty upset about it this morning and just wondering if anyone experienced this problem. It appears that he completed the reference on CASPA last night (on my September 1st deadline) but didn't click e-submit.

I definitely agree with having a buffer in case a reference doesn't work out. I am just in shock that this person couldn't adhere to a deadline and that he would do this to me since we were friendly (but professional, of course) while I worked there and I left on good terms. I am also now worried about the quality of that letter but at least I have another 2 solid letters already on file. Hopefully the school with the deadline will still accept my application.

Anyway, thanks for the support and good luck to everyone.

Archived