Navy PA/IPAP Questions...

Hello Everyone,

So I'm an HM3 in the Navy Reserves at the moment. I was originally interested in obtaining my BSN before moving on to PA school, wherever that may be, however I've been doing research and had a few questions.

Anyways, I was talking to any Army 68w in my A&P class today and we got to talking about the IPAP program. He told me, which I don't know is true for the Navy, that in the Army you can apply without a Bachelor's and also get a contract within the reserves, not just active. I'm just wondering if both of these cases are in fact true in the Navy as well? I'm not really concerned about going active for 3+ years, but I would like to know if I need a BSN/other bachelor's before being accepted to the IPAP program?

Also, he was saying that IPAP students are sent through 8 different rotations in the second year. If I'm interested in OR/ER/Neuro is there any opportunity for me to apply for a residency following completion? I guess this would be more applicable if they offer the IPAP through the reserve system.

Thanks, HM3 Frick

A few years ago I could have quoted the instruction to you but things have changed dramatically. Your best bet is to let your fingers do the walking and then make a bunch of phone calls. Recruiters are not a good source when it comes to medical. If you get a good one then you looked out but most don't know the difference between a physician and a dentist.

Hi, I'm a Navy student currently starting IPAP. I just saw that you PM'ed me, but I haven't logged into this forum in months! Just a coincidence that you PM'ed me not too long ago (I think).

Anyway, to answer your question: no, you don't need a bachelor's degree. You need 60 semester hours of college credit, made up of specific pre-reqs, but no degree. All services except Army only accept enlisted applicants. The Army will accept warrant officer and officer applicants as well as enlisted. There are also slots for Army Reserve and Army National Guard students. The Navy ONLY accepts active duty applicants - so if you're serious about applying, you're going to have to see if you can transfer to active duty first. You MAY be able to apply for an active duty Army slot as well - I know they will accept students from other services (but you transfer in as active Army).

To apply for the Navy, you need to get accepted via the Medical Service Corps Inservice Procurement Program (http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/Pages/MSCIPPPAInserviceProcurementProgramPhysicianAssistant.aspx) and if you want to try for an Army slot, check out this URL (http://www.usarec.army.mil/armypa/). Both sites detail the academic pre-reqs and other requirements.

The program was recently extended from 24 to 29 months: 16 months of didactic instruction at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, and then 13 months of clinicals at various sites. All Navy students attend clinical year in San Diego.

The Navy is a pretty small part of the program; there are 3 classes convened every year (my class has 69 students, I assume each class has similar numbers) each January, May, and August. Navy students ONLY attend the August class. Including myself, there are 15 Navy students in my class (and thus for the year). So out of ~210 students/year, only 15 were Navy! It's definitely the Army's show, and that can take a little getting used to.

Anyway, good luck. I'll PM you my email address in case you have any follow on questions, as I likely won't have much time to be on this forum (classes start Monday!).

Thanks a bunch, all that information really helped a lot. Not really sure how I could go active and apply unless I decided to volunteer for deployment or something similar... Nothing against the Army but my (shallow) roots are in the Navy and I'd love to keep it that way if possible.

I'm in the process of finishing up all my nursing pre-reqs which are pretty much the same for PA +/- a few classes. If I can't apply I figure I'll just apply to the HM to BSN program for reservists, apply for a commission, and then look into HSPC from there and then apply to USC (Fight on!), MEDEX, Stanford, Davis, etc.

Anyways, I really appreciate the input from everyone. Good luck HMtoPA, you'll have to let me know how it is if you get some free time in the next year or so ;)

Let me also say that although the Navy numbers are small they make a huge impact. We had 10 start in my IPAP class back in 2001. When we finished the first year we had a "top 10". Of those top ten 2 were Army, 2 were Air Force, and the remaining 6 all Navy. I was one of the Air Force guys and actually studied with the Navy. Good students, friends and awesome PA's! Good luck.

I was very interested in IPAP but being that I'm a reservists it looks like I would have to go the HSPC way and thus get my BSN first. Might take a little bit longer, but I'll have an additional degree and I'll be a bit more knowledgeable in the nursing model which I think will help when when doing 3+ years if I work with Nurse Corps.

Archived