psychology courses counting towards science gpa

Hello everyone. I had a question about the "other science courses" on CASPA. I looked through the entire thread but could not find anything related to this, although similar.

I took "behavioral neuroscience," "experimental neurobiology" and "neuroscience of memory" which were all by the psychology department, not biology, but they were all geared towards the anatomy and physiology of the nervous system. The "experimental neurobiology" used to be a biology course in my school but they made it into a psychology course since my school gave a neuroscience degree through the psychology department but the material was the same.

My question is, can these three fall under the "other science courses" in CASPA since they are very science dense courses even though they were given as PSYCH and not BIO? 

If it says PY and not BY on your transcript for the classes, CASPA won't specifically differentiate those courses based on the type of material covered in those classes. I'm a psych major and have a couple classes like that too and they are considered psych classes which are calculated for the non science gpa. It sucks but that's caspa:-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My instinct is to say they are other science bc they are PSYCH listed courses.

Your best bet is to either A: contact CASPA and/or B: make sure you have syllabi on hand in case a school questions it and wants proof it was more science than psych.

I will definitely contact CASPA. Thank you for your feedback.

If it says PY and not BY on your transcript for the classes, CASPA won't specifically differentiate those courses based on the type of material covered in those classes. I'm a psych major and have a couple classes like that too and they are considered psych classes which are calculated for the non science gpa. It sucks but that's caspa:-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was afraid of that :( Would've definitely helped. Thank you for your feedback.

Would any of you know if CASPA counts "introduction to organic chemistry" or "introduction to chemistry" in the sGPA? I did see Introduction to chemistry listed as being in the science courses but I also saw a comment saying they don't. 

100% positive that these are science courses. Where else would they put it?

I was hearing that they're just added to the overall GPA instead of the science GPA since they're introductory courses and introductory courses are "too easy" to be put into the sGPA.

Even an introductory science course is a science course...they'll go in the sGPA. However, many (most?) programs that won't accept intro or survey courses for their prerequisites (for example, intro to chemistry doesn't count, general chemistry will). I saw a class called "Intro to general, organic, and biochemistry" at a CC once...for a second there, I thought I was going to knock out 20 hours of prerequisites in one semester. Oh well. 

Even an introductory science course is a science course...they'll go in the sGPA. However, many (most?) programs that won't accept intro or survey courses for their prerequisites (for example, intro to chemistry doesn't count, general chemistry will). I saw a class called "Intro to general, organic, and biochemistry" at a CC once...for a second there, I thought I was going to knock out 20 hours of prerequisites in one semester. Oh well. 

Haha if only we could've killed 3 birds with 1 stone. Thank you for the feedback.

Archived