PA Incorporation

Does anyone know about PA incorporation, i.e. incorporating oneself where your corporation then employs you and that corporation is hired to provide medical services, etc? I am interested in discussing (1) pro/cons and (2) mechanics of incorporating; and, (3) personal experiences!! Yes, I know an attorney would be fruitful here, but I am looking for advisement as a PA? Anyone know anything here or know of anyone to contact?

Thanks,

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
Guest palulu

I know that the laws in Kansas have changed recently allowing PAs to own part of a practice, but not over 49%. They do not want PAs hiring their own sponsoring physician.

If you get this going I would also be interested.

• 1 month later...
Guest begreatwellness

Are you thinking...Incorporating yourself so that being hired as an independent contractor for medical services, your contract is actually through the incorporated entity of yourself...ie writing off all your expenses and what not?

• 3 weeks later...

Be sure to get an opinion for a qualifed tax attorney before trying this at home...

One of the groups I worked for was all for not having to pay employment taxes on me... but their accountant screamed and made them consult two tax attorneys in the phoenix metro area. [cost them over $1200 in consult fees, which I heard about for a year]

Both attorneys said that since PA's are [according to State law] "Supervised" by physicians they would not even TOUCH a case regarding incorporating a PA as an independant contractor in front of the IRS.

I have since then been an employee.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ESSmithPA

I live in Florida, where the law dictates that a PA can own up to 99% of a medical practice, and the remaining 1% can be owned by anyone else, whether it be a physician or not.

Eric.

Guest ESSmithPA

Hi Jeff,

Actually there are no Florida statutes that dictate this rule. It is a rule more laid out by Medicare.

-Eric.

• 1 month later...
Guest solanaca
I started a company (PLLC) that contracts with Physicians and employs PAs (me) to provide care to Homebound patients.:eek: :cool:

DocNusum

What state are you in? Can you do this through the state (secretary of state, small business corporation channels)?:confused: BTW, I'm in CA.

What state are you in? Can you do this through the state (secretary of state, small business corporation channels)?:confused: BTW, I'm in CA.

WA state.

I don't know about CA...but there were some PA's that used to lecture at Stanford that owned/ran their own clinics.

I just did as many solo MDs had done...

1. Wrote the Company mission/intent, By-Laws/rules, job descriptions, etc...
  2. Wrote the Contracts for the Docs (hired one...looking for others!)
  3. Hired a provider (Me)
  4. Then Formed a Limited Liability Corporation= $500 and 24hrs (PrimeCare PLLC)

PrimeCare PLLC salary for Members (Providers/Owners): 60% of reimbursment! (35% to SP doc and 5% to company)

PrimeCare PLLC benefit package for Members (Providers/Owners):

1. A company vehicle, licensing, fuel, vehicle insurance, vehicle maintenance.
  2. Cellular phone and data service. ($200/month)
  3. Motion Tablet PC with EMR, a desktop PC with winfax.
  4. Internet service allotment ($40/month)
  5. Paid Malpractice, disability, Health care premium, licensing fees
  6. CME ($2000/year)
  7. Medical Books, journals and equipment ($500/2years)
  8. 401k

8 months in operation and doing ok;)

DocNusum

• 1 month later...
Guest bwbody

In the bass-ackwards State of Pennsylvania, only physicians can own a medical practice. Billing can go out under a PA, but reimbursement must go back to the corporation or directly to a physician. The best you can do is creative/generous profit-sharing with the physician owners.

It's about as progressive as the State Board of Osteopathic Medicine, who, despite more than 20 years of legal mandate, still won't delegate prescriptive privilege.

Good luck in your efforts!

• 1 month later...
Guest rgmullis

Im a little late in getting into this discussion, but....Im a PA living in Georgia and am also interested in clinic ownership. Im not sure if the 99% ownership rule applies in Georgia, but other concerns that I have are practice guidelines, overhead, etc... What sort of laboratory services (if any) do you offer in your clinic? Xrays? Do you have to have certifications to perform these procedures? Do you have employees besides yourself and your supervising Doc? What if your only suprervising doc takes a vacation? Do you have to close up shop?

FYI-for CA. PAs, CAPA is offering 2 seminars on legal issues involved with independent contracting. I believe there's 2 seminars set up on different days for which you need to register and pay to attend. Check out the info on the website:www.capanet.org/

hope this helps

lesley

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest pmazzarese

I am in California and have just started my business. I am a surgical PA specializing in general, colorectal, hepatobiliary, and bariatric surgery. I have enlisted the help of the chief counsel for the California Academy of PA's and he states that I can start a corporation (I have an S-corp) and have that corporation bill for my services on my behalf. Since it is a surgical assisting business, it is considered a professional corporation but does not have to be considered a "medical practice".

Thus, I do not necessarily require a physician to own 51% of the corporation. Still working on the details and I'll keep you all updated on the progress of this venture.

Cheers,

PMazz, PA-C

• 2 weeks later...

There's a great lecture on my website www.PAprofession.com on being an independent contractor vs employee. Although it isn't state specific, the lecture gives a lot of information about the IRS rules and corporate structures available. It was real eye opening to watch. The lecturer is an independent contractor from NV. There are a lot of advantages, disadvantages, and rules to make sure you're doing it right.

Abby Jacobson

Dear Adam, I'm not sure if I should be flattered or insulted. ha ha! I doubt the website will make me rich. As a volunteer in various PA organizations (SAAAPA, AAPA, State Society, and specialty society) since my first year in PA school I would have loved to make the site free but the cost to put up the website (sorry I'm not tech savvy), maintain & update the content, restrict who can access it, and get expert content from outside sources cost thousands. I think if you price out access to that much content on the billing alone you'll see it's priced way under market.

But I'm glad to see you don't need to content Adam! I just hope other PAs who are looking for help with compensation, contracts, malpractice, billing, negotiations, and becoming an independant contractor will find the site helpful. I haven't had a complaint from a single subscriber yet! :)

Abby Jacobson, MS, PA-C

PAprofession.com

• 2 months later...

Hey all! New to your thread as well. I'm a FL PA just starting the leg-work to open my own practice. I already have a site, medical director and a plan... now I just have to make it all work. Meeting with a small business lawyer next week. I could really use some insite from some PA's that have opened their own clinics, especially other FL PA's. I want to know what billing companies have worked or not worked, how you negotiated with other providers, marketing, how much you pay your medical director... EMR's, tablets, Clia labs... I'd just like to hear about your experiences- good and bad.

Thank you!!!

Mike

• 5 months later...

Does anyone have copies of the following documents that they would be willing to share (personal information omitted):

1. contract between your incorporated company and company paying for your services

2. contract between you and your incorporated company

3. incorporation documents, i.e. operating agreement

Would like to review the various components of these documents as they pertain to PA incorporation.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Archived