Any involved in social/behavioral science?

Providing care for medically underserved individuals seems like it may cross paths with public health practice and social/behavioral research. I'm wondering if anyone on the forum is involved in this type of work. Combing patient care with public health research is an interest of mine, but I'm having trouble finding PAs who have successfully done this -- which doesn't mean you're not out there, but that you're relatively uncommon. Any advice on how to pursue this type of work is greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone thinks this combination of work is uncommon for a good reason, meaning that the PA profession and public health research (specifically social/behavioral) does not go well together, please talk about why.

My apologies if I posted this in the wrong section of the forum. I'm happy to move the thread to whatever category gets the best response.

Thanks!

If you contact Emory U or George Washington U they may help since they have programs for dual majors in PA/MPH. I'm interested in this field also, and have inquired with institutions in my area working on public health studies, specifically infectious disease, but have not seen a PA in the field as of yet.

Medicine directed at all demographics is improved and influenced by public health and social / behavioral science research. As social/behav research technique is advanced, and the inner workings of sociobiology and genetic medicine are furthered this will become increasingly important. It could become an integral part of individualized medicine. For example why do prejudiced groups and demographics with increased financial burden have greater heart disease? Some studies have identified increased cortisol levels associated with the stress response which might be responsible for this. And outside of this very micro level studies have looked at community/social support programs on PTSD and asthma mgmt. Those are a couple random though to basically say that pub health and soc behav are going to be huge contirbutors to medicine. Public Health schools are recognizing this and departments in this arena are expanding/created. I did some work with Columbia University Department of Sociomedical Sciences which is focused on exactly your interest.

Thank you for such a thoughtful reply. It's encouraging to see a PA involved in this field. The Sociomedical Sciences program at Mailman has education/research that is very appealing to me. I'm not moving to New York any time soon, but if a program ever resembles their composition on the west coast I'm all over it!

My motivation to work in such an area is still premature and probably naive. It's hard to understand how one goes about their professional career as a PA interested in providing care as well as working in academia, specifically as it relates to a combination of soc/behavioral pub health and medicine as mentioned above. Since there doesn't appear to be a clear path, I expect to work into it by furthering my education with an MPH (and other things I'm not aware of yet).

Since we appear to have somewhat similar interests (SocialMedicine), and you have a lot of great experience, I was wondering if you could answer the question, What would you do if you had to do it all over again? It's always helpful to hear this from those who have been through the muck of challenging education and finding a field they like.

Thanks!

What would you do if you had to do it all over again? It's always helpful to hear this from those who have been through the muck of challenging education and finding a field they like

I enjoy being a PA, and am very interested in HIV medicine which I practice. I find my class/academic work interesting and have tried to develop that experience into PA leadership and writing. I was originally going the PhD Medical Sociology route .... sometimes I think that part time course work in that direction might be better than the public health department I am with now but overall Im very satisfied.

I was originally going the PhD Medical Sociology route ....

Do you mean prior to your PA education? I think this is a fascinating field, especially as it pertains to social psychology and group decision making. The only reason I haven't pursued such a degree (meaning 5+ years of graduate school in the social sciences) is because of my familial obligations - it's a long time to be poor and working long hours. I question whether or not it's feasible to take part time course work in the direction of a PhD while working as a PA. There are so many classes and researching hours needed to for doctoral work, you'd have to be full time at some point, right? Either way, I admire your situation. Working in HIV medicine as a PA while continuing your education is a position I'd be happy with in 5 years (I'm applying to PA schools now).

Thanks for the reply!

Archived