I start clinicals monday...any tips?

Well today was day one. It went pretty well. I joined up with my team a few minutes after they had started rounds (had an orientation thing to go to), and then proceded to round. Im told we were busy-we had 21 patients. Most pts I was able to get an idea of what was wrong, and why tests were being ordered/reacted to on my own. One was pancytopenic and nobody but the attending was able to see the pt. because of strict isolation.

The senior resident was not in today, so I interacted mainly with the 2/3rd year docs. I was assigned two pts, both legit medicals, one of which is a transient on a 5150. Im still learning paperwork, and the computers, and a fair amount of time was spent looking for charts, I dont know if this is normal. After lunch, I went to a computer orientation and practiced what appears to be a version of SOAP notes.

All in all a good day, though Im both excited and tired right now. Tommorow I will go in early, check on my 2 pts, and get info to the attending on rounds.

Excited for you Davo. Thanks for the update.

Its been heavy guys, but I think I enjoy it.

Im frustrated by my lack of knowledge of the basics of the hospital -paperwork/orders/referrals etc. I still dont know the full layout of the hospital (its a big one). Its also a little intimidating. My feet hurt (morning rounds take 4+ hours!), and I cant get computer access to labs, imaging, patient locations, etc.

But i have caught some really sick patients too.

(plus the smartphone, if it's durable, could function as a reflex hammer as well. But you'll get funny looks.)

HAHA! i thought i was the only one who did this!! my iphone 3GS in an otterbox defender case works fabulous for this. the weigh distribution and edge are perfect....and you're right, i have gotten some funny looks :)

this is what i've gotten by with:

1) pocket medicine (print copy, don't get electronic or smartphone versions)

2) a mini clipboard that will fit in the pocket (something like white coat clipboard or a memo sized clipboard)

3) sanford guide (i use the iphone version and am relatively happy with it, but for those who have been using the book for a long time, they tend to be dissatisfied with the iphone version)

4) diagnosaurus for iphone - for me, this was a MUST have...it is extremely helpful for beginning students in developing an organized differential diagnosis

5) lexi drugs or micromedex for iphone - i like lexi drugs, but it's quite expensive. i think hands down best drug database for iphone, and superior to epocrates

6) epocrates essentials - quick way to review highlights of a disease; if your school is affiliated with a medical school, usually you can get it for free

7) QxMD calculator - a med student showed this too me. it's an iphone tool that has an easy-to-use interface that allows you to quickly calculate stuff like TIMI/Wells/MELD/CHADS2/Child etc etc

Relax and enjoy and know there are no dumb questions. You can have fun because no one's life is in your hands . . . yet.

completely agree! probably best piece of advice you can get

Archived