How did you feel about your interview?

How did you feel after your PA school interview?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. How did you feel after your PA school interview?

• Nailed it! Couldn't have been better!
    • Above average, felt good about it.
    • Had NO IDEA what was going to happen
    • Below average, I could have done better
    • Blew it! Hated the school and they hated me

This is my second year of interviewing. For me, it seems like I always do the worst on the first one of the "season". Then, my nerves seem to calm down and I can act more like myself. I just got home from an interview, thought I blew it because I was SO nervous, but I just got an email with some very positive feedback. ????

So.....

How did you feel about your interviews? Have you ever gotten accepted from a school where you didn't perform as you would have desired? In a career where we are always striving to learn more and do better, are you "hard on yourself"?

I liked my interview at one school:

One was good cop and one was bad cop, after interview with good cop I felt great, and then after interview with bad cop I felt like it was over for me, thankfully I got in.

One place was a evil group interview, it sucked. I told them how I felt about healthcare being a right while all the other applicants said it was a privilige....did not get in. We also had to hold hands and say a prayer before lunch, can you say uncomfortable?

One had an activity where you got into groups and while you discussed if you were stranded in a snow storm what items would you rate in order of importance for survival and they watched you while you were in the groups, kind of lame.

"So I see that you're an older student"

"Yes"

"We've thought for a long time that older students are better than younger students. They have more life experience, they have different priorities, they are more mature..."

"I think so, and I'm glad you do too" This is great! I am so in!

".....but now we're realizing that that's not true. The older students have the hardest time."

"......." Well, crap

I actually thought I did better on my first interview and worse on my 2nd. However, I did feel a tad bit more relaxed going into my 2nd interview, but it turned out worse because of the interview style and tough questions... I honestly thought I did horrible. Also it may have been that the first school I interviewed at was my first choice, and after touring the second school before the interview - I didn't like it very much, so it may have just been that I was more enthusiastic and positive at the first interview. Anyways... I still was accepted to both of the schools.

I thought my (so far only) interview wound up fine but I was pretty tense at the start. The questions were mellow - I think they were really trying to get a sense of me as a person.

Afterwards I second-guessed myself some. Did I spend enough time focused on each of the interviewers (there were two)?

Main lesson I took was to do a few deep breaths before starting to relax and be natural.

I was glad I wore a suit for my interview, because it hid the sweat stains that my nerves had produced! I was very nervous at first, but soon got into the "swing of things" after a couple of minutes. By the end of the interview, one interviewer gave me a high five (She inititiated it, I couldn't leave her hanging), that must've been a good sign since I got in.

Guest cabkrun

"Yes"

"We've thought for a long time that older students are better than younger students. They have more life experience, they have different priorities, they are more mature..."

".....but now we're realizing that that's not true. The older students have the hardest time."

"......." Well, crap

YIKES. I would definitely think "oh crap" too. LOL

Yet, I say define old. Age is just a number. :D

I am now going on my fifth interview and with each interview I feel more at ease. I am definitely one who suffers from anxiety and nervousness when it comes to these things. Unfortunately, my interview this Saturday is at UT Southwestern and apparently they do a process called multiple mini interviews. Never done these before, should be interesting and nerve wracking at the same time.

This year was my first time applying and I intervied at my top two schools in a matter of 48 hours. The first interview went absolutely terrible. I was beyond nervous and the interview style wasn't the greatest. They sat me in a conference room and shot questions at me for 45 minutes. Everything from why do you want to be a PA to what would you do if your attending didnt want to do a procedure that you knew was necessary. The interview consisted of a faculty and an alumnus. The faculty member was amazing while the alumnus compleltely psyched me out. It never seemed like any answer was good enough for her. Needless to say, didnt get in here.

My second interview however, was AMAZING. The students, faculty and even staff from the school were beyond welcoming. The program director flat out told us the point of the interview was not to grill us but to get to know who we are and to see if we will fit in the program. You did two "interviews" with a single faculty and it was more like a conversation than an interview. They were really interested in getting to know me and selling me the school. The feeling I had after this interview completely made up for the terrible interview the day before.

I cant say how glad I am that my interview process is over and over early. It's an unexplainable relief. Since then I've politely turned down interviews at 6 of my 7 schools I applied to and I've never been so happy to tell someone no thanks :-)

Good luck to all of you in your interview process!

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first year applying and my first interview invite was to my top choice school! I was definitely nervous, but tried not to show it! During the individual interviews I just tried to let my personality show through--I ended up making all of the interviewers laugh which I thought was a good sign. Afterwards I felt it went alright, not great and not terrible, but found out I was accepted less than a week later! Since then I have turned down all my other invites...such a relief!!

This year was my first time applying and I intervied at my top two schools in a matter of 48 hours. The first interview went absolutely terrible. I was beyond nervous and the interview style wasn't the greatest. They sat me in a conference room and shot questions at me for 45 minutes. Everything from why do you want to be a PA to what would you do if your attending didnt want to do a procedure that you knew was necessary. The interview consisted of a faculty and an alumnus. The faculty member was amazing while the alumnus compleltely psyched me out. It never seemed like any answer was good enough for her. Needless to say, didnt get in here.

My second interview however, was AMAZING. The students, faculty and even staff from the school were beyond welcoming. The program director flat out told us the point of the interview was not to grill us but to get to know who we are and to see if we will fit in the program. You did two "interviews" with a single faculty and it was more like a conversation than an interview. They were really interested in getting to know me and selling me the school. The feeling I had after this interview completely made up for the terrible interview the day before.

I cant say how glad I am that my interview process is over and over early. It's an unexplainable relief. Since then I've politely turned down interviews at 6 of my 7 schools I applied to and I've never been so happy to tell someone no thanks :-)

Good luck to all of you in your interview process!

Your description of the two interview styles highlights the fact that you are interviewing the school as much as they are interviewing you. If you are that uncomfortable at one school, while the other feels like coming home, it's obvious where you belong. Never mind that the first school didn't accept you. You wouldn't have been happy there.

Congratulations!!

So, i had the great opportunity (much sarcasm intended) to interview at 7 programs because I did not hear back from any until i had interviewed at all of them. Now, don't get me wrong i am grateful i was so lucky and was able to get in the first year I applied but it would have been nice to get accepted a little earlier and save a a couple grand on flights and traveling expenses (still a small price to pay i know!). I will give you the interview that I didn't like AT ALL and actually prevented me from attending a program that was initially one of my top choices.

I showed up at the appointed time and the directions to the building where horrible, followed by unhelpful employees that couldn't tell me where to go. Then I was sat in a room to type an essay for half an hour. The actual interview portion consisted of me and one other individual in the same room and 2 people teleconferenced in from the other campus (school has split campus in 2 parts of the state). I was asked the standard questions followed by an ethical question. After given the ethical question and giving my answer, I was badgered for 20 minutes about why that was my answer. Finally after telling one of the interviewers that I thought it was ridiculous that they had made a reference to the Holocaust (i actually said they were ridiculous mind you) I asked them if they had heard my answer enough times because I wasn't going to change it. The interview ended and that was it, I didn't get to talk to current students, no tour of facilities (when i asked if i could have a tour they acted put out). What has been said is absolutely correct about you interviewing the program. To my surprise I was actually offered a seat.

The admissions director at the school I chose opened my eyes to this. He said if this isn't the school for you I will do what I can to get you where you need to be and gave us his personal cell number. You are going to be spending a lot of time (you have NO IDEA) and a lot of money to becoming a PA and you don't want to be in a program that isn't a fit for you. The stress is great enough when you love the place!!!

Here's my take on interviews and I hope if others look at things this way they might not be so nervous. Now, years ago I attended about 7 interviews for my master's in marriage & family therapy... different field I know, but the interview process was about exactly the same. Of all those interviews, I only got 2 acceptances, and I think it's because I was so worried about giving the "right answers" that I wasn't really honest and they couldn't get a sense of who I really was. It's kinda counterintuitive, but I think the less you try, the easier it'll be to be yourself and the easier it'll be for them to get to know you. If you're honest and relaxed, then no matter what the outcome, at least you know you were judged accurately, not on some idealized portrayal of who YOU think they want. It's probably safe to bet that they want a variety of personalities, not cookie cutter versions of some "perfect student". So, be confident in who you are and be yourself! ...unless of course you really ARE a jerk! in which case, I can't help you :)

Ok, I'll take off my therapist hat now and say that I felt I pretty much took my own advice and my interview went well. I was lucky and the professor and alumni that interviewed me didn't ask any off-the-wall questions. I had one question that I stumbled on but I felt good about the rest, and they seemed really friendly. We had a group dinner with current students the night before and I thought that was a great tension-breaker.

Here's my take on interviews and I hope if others look at things this way they might not be so nervous. Now, years ago I attended about 7 interviews for my master's in marriage & family therapy... different field I know, but the interview process was about exactly the same. Of all those interviews, I only got 2 acceptances, and I think it's because I was so worried about giving the "right answers" that I wasn't really honest and they couldn't get a sense of who I really was. It's kinda counterintuitive, but I think the less you try, the easier it'll be to be yourself and the easier it'll be for them to get to know you. If you're honest and relaxed, then no matter what the outcome, at least you know you were judged accurately, not on some idealized portrayal of who YOU think they want. It's probably safe to bet that they want a variety of personalities, not cookie cutter versions of some "perfect student". So, be confident in who you are and be yourself! ...unless of course you really ARE a jerk! in which case, I can't help you :)

Ok, I'll take off my therapist hat now and say that I felt I pretty much took my own advice and my interview went well. I was lucky and the professor and alumni that interviewed me didn't ask any off-the-wall questions. I had one question that I stumbled on but I felt good about the rest, and they seemed really friendly. We had a group dinner with current students the night before and I thought that was a great tension-breaker.

Thanks Sharon. I feel better about my interview I had yesterday after reading this. I thought I bombed my interview b/c I confused my interviewees when answering a scenario question and totally screwed up with a few other questions. I felt like, and still sort of do, that I won't get accepted b/c I wasn’t clear or knowledgeable. Even though they said I had a good understanding of what a PA does, I feel like they just said that to make me feel better. I didn’t prep word-for-word answers b/c I wanted my responses to come out natural and honest, but I think that may have backfired and worked against me. Maybe I am over-thinking and over-analyzing this way too much. I tend to do that a lot, but I am just so nervous and disappointed in myself for not giving strong and coherent responses.

Im sorry sharon :-( Did you only apply to one school? If not, then you may get more interview invites....its still early in the game! If so, I would recommend applying to atleast 10 schools next year! Also you can still send your current CASPA off to schools whose deadlines have not passed, and to schools who have January 2011 start dates (they usually start interviews in feb/march). Either way, best of luck!

I've been through three interviews, two for one program and one for another. My group interview at Midwestern-Glendale was easily the most nerve-racking moment of my life: it was the first time that I'd ever interviewed for anything! I felt that I was well prepared and I had answers for every question that I was asked, but I felt like I was speaking a mile a minute and the fact that I was interviewing with two other people at the same time didn't help me one bit. No amount of preparation could have made that interview any easier for me: I just had to get it out of the way to move forward. I ended up getting waitlisted.

I had my next interviews at Salus University last week and I was amazed with how much more comfortable I felt after having just one interview under my belt. My first interviewer was really nice and I had no trouble sitting down and talking with her as if she was just some person that I met off of the street. I was a little thrown off by the second interview (none of us were expecting to get interviewed by two people), especially when she went through the interview form word for word and wrote down everything that I said, but the confidence of surviving that first interview really helped me get through it. Found out I was accepted this morning!

• 1 month later...

lmao

im sorry but that made me laugh...I needed it too after bombing my chem final:rolleyes:

"Yes"

"......." Well, crap

Archived