“Top Ten” PA School Students Earn $250.00

I am the author of The Ultimate Guide to Getting Into Physician Assistant School (McGraw-Hill, 3rd Ed.) and I am seeking 10 essays from students who are currently enrolled in one of the following programs: Duke, University of Iowa, University of Utah, Emory, George Washington, Baylor, Oregon, UMDNJ, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center Dallas, and University of Washington.

<O:p</O:p

The essays will be published in my new book, Essays That Worked For Physician Assistant School Students. I will pay $250 for each essay and you will be required to sign a release for use of the essay. I only need one essay from each program and the fee includes a copy of your supplemental narrative as well. Your name will be published along with your essay, unless you’d like to remain anonymous. First come, first served..please hurry.

<O:p</O:p

Please email me at info@andrewrodican.com if you would like to participate. Payment will be made promptly upon receiving your essay and the essay release form. You can also visit my web site at www.AndrewRodican.com

bgdog;307539"and your essays will be immediately duplicated and slightly reworked using cut and paste by a good portion of applicants in the next application cycle!"

Only for those who buy Mr. Rodican's publications.:heheh:

Others can cut and paste directly from essays here on the forum.(Oh yes indeed it does happen )

"and your essays will be immediately duplicated and slightly reworked using cut and paste by a good portion of applicants in the next application cycle!"

Thats a bold statement and highly speculative. You have zero proof of that.

Actually, I'm afraid this is exactly what will happen. Whereas the Personal Statement is open-ended and allows applicants to write about themselves and whatever topics they wish, the supplemental is usually different. For example, the Baylor supplemental asks you to respond to some very specific questions, often the same from year to year. While it is clearly expected that an applicant would look inward to answer these questions, there is nothing stopping them from "borrowing" another's answers if such were to be published. I would never publicize my answers - I worked so hard on them! Furthermore, I feel it would be unethical of me to do so, undermining these 10 schools, and a shady business all around. I would encourage other students in my position to resist the offer.

I feel like your personal statement should be just that, why you personally are motivated to be a PA. Two applicants could have very different backgrounds that have motivated them to pursue a career as a PA. I am also sure these programs are aware of this happening and will take note of the application essays that seem remarkably similar to the ones published. I went through several drafts of my personal statement before submitting and did that with several supplementals as well. I also feel this is an unethical deal and that I wouldn't want someone to easily tweak my answers when I spent a long time on them and they pertain to my own experiences. Be original and think of your own to write about!

• Administrator
I, for one, am so happy to learn that he not only peachy with farming students for material for his book, but he also accepts US News as a truly reputable source for ranking program quality and feels that only students from those programs are worthy of being published. What a shame that I'll never earn my $250...

More like he knows that the kind of students who would put much stock in the US News rankings are exactly the kind of students who are likely to spring for his service. Know your customer!

I wonder if he even reads the posts on here... I am from a top ten school... but I am not sure my essay would be of much help... it was mostly about my military experience and my own battle with my Mom contracting a rare disease. I have had an interesting path to PA. That is the beauty with this profession! We have so much variation in background. The profession is however changing though... This seems like it is part of that change. The number of schools has changed, the HCE requirements are changing... the demographics are changing... then that in turn will change the market for things like this. AJC is just a smart business man... he saw a market for this, and as the good Rev put it knows how to get their attention.

I agree, I'm not so sure my essay would be of any use for a couple of reasons: A) If by essay he is referring to our Personal Statements (Narrative), well it's just that.....personal. So my personal statement regarding my own experiences and ambitions for aspiring to be a physician assistant pertain to my situation. Now I understand that these essays may not be poached for content, but for their style, but I spent a fair amount of time creating my essay and I guess I feel each student needs to be doing this on their own. B) Emory has their own supplemental application in which they ask a number of other ?'s and require an additional essay.

I have no problem with people asking for a review of their personal statement in terms of grammar, punctuation, etc..., but the content, format, and structure needs to be your own. This is my opinion only - personal statements should be original thought, crafted from scratch without the use of any guide or assistance, be yourself and tell your story.

I spent 2 months on mine. Supplementals took a couple weeks, off and on of course. Only had it proofread for grammar.

The proofreader was an English grad and professional writer... and made content suggestions that I disregarded. As I explained to my wife... I know exactly what I want each sentence to communicate about me... I just need to make sure I use correct punctuation.

But you didn't get in right?

I'm just wondering why you still call yourself PAMAC and hang around a PA forum? They don't have nurse forums?

Just asking.

I'm just wondering why you still call yourself PAMAC and hang around a PA forum? They don't have nurse forums?

Just asking.

I'm a PA and I "hang around" allnurses.com as well.

There is immense value in PAs and NPs cross-pollinating ideas. If we stay in our own siloes we never will advance.

Clinician1.com is a great site which promotes PA-NP unity in a very professional environment.

There is no need to dismiss someone who posts here with good information AND good spirit just because they may not end up a PA-C.

Those that become NPs, CRNAs, etc become our potential future advocates, as we can do for them.

Just asking.

I am not sure, but I am pretty sure that there are TONS of folks over at the Student Doctor Forum that are not Doctors or even students for that matter... Just throwing that out there!

Nothing wrong with having example essays in a book, it helps give the fresh applicant an idea what to write. If he wants to pay $250 for an essay, good for him, he obviously knows what he is doing. If he wanted my essay from a non-top 10-school/community college, I'd take the cash right now.

What bugs me is that Rodican comes on here, makes his posts soliciting materials for publication, and then doesn't show up again to defend his request. I invited him a few weeks ago (the last time he solicited here) to discuss the legitimacy of his request and we haven't heard from him again. It's too suspect and makes me uncomfortable. To each his own, I guess.

i guesse you want to take me down a notch because you didnt like what i thought about AJRs essay recruiting, huh?

No, I just wonder why you spend so much time and energy "hating" on a guy that has nothing to do with you.

Mr Rodican is:

1) A PA. He has spent considerable time and energy to do everything in his power to fulfill that goal. He graduated from Yale.

2) A successful author. His book on how to get into PA school is considered the best on the topic.

He is obviously a driven man. His book has helped a lot of people get into PA school. Most of the people that buy the book, and use it, me included, are driven also. The essays are there for people to see real world examples of personel statements that worked.

Are most people going to just rip those essays off and put their name on it like you suggest? Probably not. Most people do the work that is required of them, that includes getting the grades, the HCE and everything else that is going to bring them closer to that goal.

If you don’t like the fact the he is looking for successful essays and is willing to pay for them, just ignore the post and go on about your business.

You insinuation that people are going to use this for ill gotten gains is misguided, conjecture and sounds like sour grapes from a person that couldn’t get in to PA school.

I busted my a** to get into PA school. His book was one of the many resources I used, including all my physician friends, PA friends, the internet and this forum.

Perhaps you could learn something by reading his book. It talks quite a bit about setting goals and follow-through.

I could lend you my copy.

• 1 month later...

Graduated from Yale? And the significance of that? Are they in the top 10 list (sarcasm for those that think this really matters)? Maybe he plans to write that essay himself because I dont see them listed:heheh:

Lets face it, smart business people are smart because they either find something no one thought about or they make money off common sense stuff that people could find on their own but cant/wont/dont know how to find on their own. I purchased that book and it was a waste of my money...I threw it away....not gave it away. You can get all the information in that book simply by coming to this forum and talking to other PAs. I had gone through those resources and then purchased the book and realized "ummm, I already know this stuff" so I'm not sure what to say about anyone that found it useful at all

While Im all for supporting PAs, whenever asked I never advise people to buy that book....and I wont until it includes stuff that is not easily found through this forum, google or a PA mentor

Anywho, I just hope he has hired an editor because the edition I purchased had so many typos that I became annoyed while reading it....

Archived