Job applications asking for Social Security number?

I have been filling out job applications online and most never ask about social security numbers. But recently it seems like some of these hospitals are asking for them. These tend to be the longer, more involved applications, as opposed to just filling in your name, address and uploading your resume. Would any of you trust this? I know several people having their numbers/identity stolen so I am very apprehensive about this. I'm thinking of just making a blanket statement to myself and saying I won't apply anywhere that asks about it.

I have been filling out job applications online and most never ask about social security numbers. But recently it seems like some of these hospitals are asking for them. These tend to be the longer, more involved applications, as opposed to just filling in your name, address and uploading your resume. Would any of you trust this? I know several people having their numbers/identity stolen so I am very apprehensive about this. I'm thinking of just making a blanket statement to myself and saying I won't apply anywhere that asks about it.

Background checks . . . becoming routine I'm afraid.

Archived