Alternate number 15??

So I have been checking back and forth on the UTMB website, searching around, reading about the different programs and of course every time I come back I see "we are now on alternate number ____." Can someone clarify exactly what they are stating? Does that mean they interviewed and accepted those they chose but are now having to go down the alternate list because people they originally accepted are no longer opting to go there now? Also, if that is the case...does that mean they accepted the previous 14 alternates and are still accepting more OR what?

Trying to stay in the know :)

I didn't apply there, but I would assume it meant that they interviewed and accepted X number of people to fill the class, but enough of those X people declined their seat that they still had unfilled seats. Therefore, they went to the waitlist, which is ranked. I would guess that some of the #1-14 alternates had accepted seats elsewhere so when they were contacted regarding a seat in UTMB's class, they declined...so admissions is moving down the list to fill the class. Since not all PA programs interview/accept/start classes on the same schedule, I think the final roster can stay in flux for a while...the admissions director at my program mentioned that she's had people turn down their seat as late as the week before orientation, leaving her scrambling to see if anyone wants a last minute space.

Hope that makes sense. :)

You're pretty much right :) It's for those who applied for the incoming fall 2011 class (my class! woot!) and were placed on the waitlist. They rank all those on the waitlist somehow and if students who were accepted choose to not attend, they start with #1 on the waitlist and accept sequentially until a certain date before school starts. What happens a lot is people apply to several schools and may not be accepted there but are placed on a waitlist. If a spot opens up for a school they'd rather attend, that opens up a spot on the waitlist, which creates a domino effect so to speak!

Thanks for the clarification ya'll! Texas_PA...I hope to be where you are, at UTMB. League City girl here. :) Glad to see that many people on the waitlist are getting opportunities to attend. That gives me even more hope. If all goes well I should be done with my pre-reqs in the Spring. Just finished A&P in two back to back, 5 week summer sessions. Brutal but worth it. I had to pick up 30 something hours considering my bachelor's was in communication from UHCL. ;P

Archived