"Nurse practitioners preferred" job listings- Listen up AAPA!

The following job listings should be a wake up call for ALL PAs and the AAPA:

1. Planned Parenthood

About this position

This is a full-time position at our Federal Way health center.  The schedule is Monday through Friday

Major responsibilities include:

• Provides confidential healthcare in a compassionate, professional and culturally competent manner to create a positive patient experience.
  • Evaluates, diagnoses, and treats reproductive health concerns including preventive care, contraception, sexually transmitted infections, pregnancy, and common gynecological conditions.
  • Fosters affiliate stability by meeting clinician productivity benchmarks and supports a healthy revenue cycle with accurate and timely charge entries, including assignment of appropriate diagnosis and CPT codes.
  • Maintains a cooperative relationship among the health care team by communicating information, responding to requests, building rapport, participating in team problem-solving, and serving as the clinical expert and resource in PPGNHI health centers.

Our ideal candidate:

• Demonstrates and maintains a high degree of professionalism
  • Values continuous learning and seeks ongoing training and development
  • Models diversity awareness
  • Values team work, flexibility and adaptability; embraces change 

Essential qualifications

Women’s Health Care Nurse Practitioner, Adult/Family Nurse Practitioner, Certified Nurse Midwife. Physician Assistant considered as space permits on PPGNHI MD licenses. 

Preferred Qualifications

• At least 1 year of experience providing women’s health care preferred.
  • MA/MS in related field preferred.

http://tinyurl.com/pz7zehm

2. Portland, Oregon – Providence Medical Group is seeking several excellent nurse practitioners or physician assistants to join our new eXpress Care clinics in Portland. These clinics will offer low acuity illness and injury visits with a focus on ease of access and on-line scheduling. Staffing will be one medical assistant and one nurse practitioner or physician assistant. Ideal candidates will have at least two years of experience as a NP / PA, preferably with experience in a primary care or urgent care setting. Nurse practitioners are preferred, but will consider physician assistants with experience in an autonomous setting. Flexible FTE. Competitive compensation and excellent benefits through PMG. 

http://tinyurl.com/p7zlhdk

Disclaimer: I'm a student, but its disheartening and makes my blood boil reading this post along with others like how nps make more than PAs at the same hospital doing the same job. Another post talked about the va only looking for MDs and NPs and how there are now more NPs then PAs in the VA. I feel like I have no one to blame but the AAPA. They seem to have been too complacent for the past 50 years. The ANA seems to constantly fight for their NPs while the AAPA seems to be constantly fighting against their PAs. They seem scared of rocking the boat. At this point from the information I've gained off this site, it seems to me like the AAPA is just like the U.S congress. Everyone wants to believe that they're doing something useful, but they don't accomplish much at all.

This may be unfounded criticism to the AAPA, especially from a student, and for that I apologize in advance and please correct me if I'm wrong. The only upside I have is thank God for the PAFT, they give me hope for the profession. Hope to be a pa soon, I have an interview in December.

End of rant.

Disclaimer: I'm a student, but its disheartening and makes my blood boil reading this post along with others like how nps make more than PAs at the same hospital doing the same job. Another post talked about the va only looking for MDs and NPs and how there are now more NPs then PAs in the VA. I feel like I have no one to blame but the AAPA. They seem to have been too complacent for the past 50 years. The ANA seems to constantly fight for their NPs while the AAPA seems to be constantly fighting against their PAs. They seem scared of rocking the boat. At this point from the information I've gained off this site, it seems to me like the AAPA is just like the U.S congress. Everyone wants to believe that they're doing something useful, but they don't accomplish much at all.

This may be unfounded criticism to the AAPA, especially from a student, and for that I apologize in advance and please correct me if I'm wrong. The only upside I have is thank God for the PAFT, they give me hope for the profession. Hope to be a pa soon, I have an interview in December.

End of rant.

AAPA has gotten better over the past couple of years.  There are folks in the leadership now that "get it."  We've also managed to get one of PAFT's leaders elected to the BOD, which can help facilitate discussion that may previously have been uncomfortable or ignored entirely.  There are still folks on the board that aren't progressive and even more within the HOD, so there is still a lot of work to be done.  The best thing we can do is NOT write off AAPA and actively work to get involved and make change ourselves.  The key to our profession's future is bringing in a new generation of PAs to run it.  Join PAFT if you haven't already.  There are two vacant student director positions at the moment AFAIK, so consider pursuing one if you are interested in this type of work.

If physicians have limitations in a state about the number of PAs they can supervise, and NPs do not, this is a no brainer.  That's why eliminating the "number of PAs supervised" limitation is the fifth tenet of the ideal state law for PAs promulgated by the AAPA. 

If physicians have limitations in a state about the number of PAs they can supervise, and NPs do not, this is a no brainer.  That's why eliminating the "number of PAs supervised" limitation is the fifth tenet of the ideal state law for PAs promulgated by the AAPA. 

This is in WA and the recent commission rules changes left an "out" for ratio limits: 

(3) A physician may enter into delegation agreements with five physician assistants, but may petition the commission for a waiver of this limit. However, no physician may have under his or her supervision: (a) More than three physician assistants who are working in remote sites; or (b) more physician assistants than the physician can adequately supervise.

So technically a practice can petition for expanding the ratio. I do not think Federal Way qualifies as a remote site (very suburban area, close to me). The petition process is certainly more laborious than the freedom NPs have, but there is an option for PAs.

Why would you rather drive a septic tank than work at Planned Parenthood?

I'll bite. There are two primary reasons:

1. PP is staffed almost exclusively by left wing ideologues. This forum prohibits political discussion, so I will leave it at that.

2. It has been my experience that the caliber of clinician that works at PP is usually mediocre to poor. The person who graduated first in their OBGYN residency class usually does not wind up working at PP.

And since "my experience" will be queried, it is comprised of 20 years in emergency medical services and ER taking care of patients "treated" at the local PP clinic.

Why would you rather drive a septic tank than work at Planned Parenthood?

Because I would rather clean out septic tanks than work in a political organization,  started by a eugenecist, that ends the life of hundreds of thousands of babies before they are born. 

You, madam, have apparently never had your septic system get clogged up. I have seen it happen thrice, and never has a more noble professional come to my rescue.

Septic tank cleaner, construction worker, window washer, electrician, plumber, day laborer------all noble professions.

Planned Parenthood---one of the few professions that rate lower than lawyers, check cashing establishments, and high interest "we tote the note" used car dealers.

Looks like despite forum rules, people are perfectly willing to bring politics to a thread. Planned Parenthood is a vital resource for women nationwide providing family planning and preventive care. Thank goodness for the men and woman who work there providing care for women across the spectrum of race and socioeconomic status.

What happened to Obamacare?  I thought if we passed a law requiring EVERYONE to buy health insurance, then EVERYONE would be able to get their family planning and preventive care from a primary care physician.  Why do we need to continue to heavily subsidize a leftist organization such as planned parenthood? 

That is a political discussion.

Working at an organization that ends the life of hundreds of thousands of babies a year is unethical, and rates just below most lawyers, check cashers, and tote the note used car salesmen.

Oh, and by the way, we ALLLL care for patients "across the spectrum of race and socioeconomic status."  It's just that most of us are trying to save lives instead of take them.

That is an ethical discussion. 

Certainly not questioning your experience just your intelligence.

You are in good company. You are at the end of the line behind my family and coworkers. Most find it difficult to describe my personality without recourse to profanity.

Careful with the ad hominem attacks

That's the last refuge of someone with nothing valuable to say. Fortunately I am sufficiently egomanical that the internet cannot hurt my feelings.

Here's another PP anecdote:

An acquaintance of my - in this case a right wing ideologue - sought a deeper understanding of PP's modus operandi. She walked into a clinic and said that she had missed a period. An ultrasound was performed and it was declared that she was 10 weeks pregnant and should have an abortion. She had never had intimate relations with anyone. Odd, right?

You are in good company. You are at the end of the line behind my family and coworkers. Most find it difficult to describe my personality without recourse to profanity.

That's the last refuge of someone with nothing valuable to say. Fortunately I am sufficiently egomanical that the internet cannot hurt my feelings.

I like your sense of humor. :-)

I'd caution you to mind your "ad hominem" attacks too. ;-)

-Laura

Archived