Reciprocity with countries that license "Clinical Officers" would be great...

Reciprocity with countries that license "Assistant Medical Officers," "Feldshers," " Clinical Associates" and "Clinical Officers" would be a great boost in international recognition or atleast the ability to challenge and sit for the exams in these countries would be.

See here: "Clinical Officers"

Also... it looks like South African got it right and named their PAs "Clinical Associates"...:cool:

It'd be hard to justify letting clinical officers sit for the PANCE when we don't let IMG MD's do so.

Only if you want it to be...

It can be argued that COs are PAs... and physicians are just that... physicians... AND... they did let IMG physicians sit for the PANCE. The problem was... NONE of them passed it.

C- your link doesn't work.

I am familiar with the concept of clinical officers and agree this would be a great thing for us.

on the other hand we don't want clinicians leaving healthcare settings where they are needed more to come here for the american dream. I'm not talking about problems about competition with american pa's I"m talking "brain drain" from developing nations(interestingly enough a topic covered in my DHSc program last week). I think if reciprocity were offered more of them would come here than the other way around leading to an absolute deficit of healthcare providers where they are needed more.

In Manitoba they are called Clinical Assistants.

Yeah... still not too fond of the "Assistant" moniker... as many/most of us don't "assist" anyone in our daily practice outside of a surgical suite.

... [brevity edit]... I"m talking "brain drain" from developing nations(interestingly enough a topic covered in my DHSc program last week). I think if reciprocity were offered more of them would come here than the other way around leading to an absolute deficit of healthcare providers where they are needed more.

Yeah... I here you on the "brain drain" issue as we discussed it, delt with it and I saw the effects of it first hand in Iraq, Afghanistan and Sudan... but don't think it would be a "significant" problem due to the various other enormous barrier$ they would face ju$t trying to get here even before they considered $ending NCCPA ca$h to $it for the exam.

See here: "Clinical Officers"

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I am familiar with the concept of clinical officers and agree this would be a great thing for us.

on the other hand we don't want clinicians leaving healthcare settings where they are needed more to come here for the american dream. I'm not talking about problems about competition with american pa's I"m talking "brain drain" from developing nations(interestingly enough a topic covered in my DHSc program last week). I think if reciprocity were offered more of them would come here than the other way around leading to an absolute deficit of healthcare providers where they are needed more.

I agree 100%. Brain drain in developing nations is a real and unfortunate problem. The incentive should be finding ways to attract and retain providers in their native countries because lack of recognition, appropriate compensation, upward mobility, technological progress, etc are driving many qualified and needed providers to the West in search if better opportunities.

I agree 100%. Brain drain in developing nations is a real and unfortunate problem. The incentive should be finding ways to attract and retain providers in their native countries because lack of recognition, appropriate compensation, upward mobility, technological progress, etc are driving many qualified and needed providers to the West in search if better opportunities.

I' ve suggested a reverse brain drain. Countries that don't have enough clinicians offer a program where seasoned American PAs come and work in a ''preceptorship'' with a national physician for a year. Judge that PA harshly. If the PA preforms on an excellent level a national med school awards them an MD. They can either stay in country and practice as a physician or take their chances and try to transfer that degree to another country (the US for one would not accept it . . . I don't think). But I would be happy to finish my career as a physician in a place like Nepal.

I' ve suggested a reverse brain drain. Countries that don't have enough clinicians offer a program where seasoned American PAs come and work in a ''preceptorship'' with a national physician for a year. Judge that PA harshly. If the PA preforms on an excellent level a national med school awards them an MD. They can either stay in country and practice as a physician or take their chances and try to transfer that degree to another country (the US for one would not accept it . . . I don't think). But I would be happy to finish my career as a physician in a place like Nepal.

I think that is a brilliant idea.

Archived