Interview help! (8/19/2011)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone! I submitted all my application materials by mid July. I just got an email this past week inviting me for an interview on 10/7!!! Just be patient, like someone said previously, no news is good news. To those who interviewed already, any advice or tips on what to expect? I'm very excited and nervous!!! I do not do well with uncertainty! I just want the interview to be over and get a response!! LOL

Hi Everyone! I submitted all my application materials by mid July. I just got an email this past week inviting me for an interview on 10/7!!! Just be patient, like someone said previously, no news is good news. To those who interviewed already, any advice or tips on what to expect? I'm very excited and nervous!!! I do not do well with uncertainty! I just want the interview to be over and get a response!! LOL

Hey there! I felt the same when I interviewed at Drexel, since it was my first interview as well. I think just make sure to be prepared - learning about the profession, why you want to be a PA, what makes you a competitive applicant, know something about the profession (challenges, differences between MD & NP), and be yourself so that you really let your personalitiy shine. Everyone at the admissions are really nice. Our group played charrade while we were waiting for our turn to be brought to the individual interivew!

I think once you have done all that you can to prepare for the interview, you'll feel better. Of course, in life, you cannot prepare for all situations. I think the admissions are not going to throw something at you, but if something happens unexpectedly, they'd like to see how you react to situations.

Good luck! If you have been selected for an interview, that means they really like you, and Oct 14 is only the 3rd interview session. They are trying to fill up 75 spots so your chances are good! Plus, they don't do rolling admissions, which is nice. They will offer early admissions to a lucky few. If you are traveling and needing a place to stay, I highly recommend the Hamptons Inn on Race street. It has complementary wi-fi, BREAKFAST, and it's only a 5 min walk straight down to Race street to the Bellet building on 15th and Race street. I hope the information helps :)

Thanks for the advice Ghycheng, I have an interview in mid-Oct. I'm just nervous about sounding goofy when I am answering the questions that they might ask me. I always seem to let me nerves take control at the beginning...any steps you recommend?

Hey there Greenberg0!

I totally know how you feel, about sounding like a ding dong to answer those questions! They are all really nice. The questions are really depend on who is interviewing you. My interviewers were all really nice and we basically chatted about my past volunteering experience and why Drexel. Otherwise, it's more like going on a date and seeing if there is a long term relationship there :)

For me, I have the tendency to talk more than I wanted to when I'm nervous, so what I found helpful was having a mock interview with your friend before your real one. I also suggest taking a pause before answering the question and think through the question before you answer. I know it is hard and it's a nerve wrecking experience, but the Drexel people really go out of their way to make you feel as "comfortable" as possible :)

I just got an interview invite for 10/21! I'll be flying from North Carolina and probably staying at the Sheraton. I'm really worried about having a writing sample that deals with, 'the current state of healthcare' or issues with insurance... does anyone know if that's the kind of thing we'll have to write about?

My caspa was mailed at the end of july and i filled out the secondary shortly after. I had some issues with having them verify that my prerequisites were complete, which delayed their processing of my application a bit. I don't think they gave me the 'application complete' status until the end of September.

I just got an interview invite for 10/21! I'll be flying from North Carolina and probably staying at the Sheraton. I'm really worried about having a writing sample that deals with, 'the current state of healthcare' or issues with insurance... does anyone know if that's the kind of thing we'll have to write about?

It's really not fair to ask that of people ... just be ready for anything. You have plenty of time to prepare. And honestly, if you're unable to speak about the current state of healthcare, why would you choose healthcare as your career choice? I'm sure you'll do fine, just read up a bit.

What do you folks think about e-mailing them for an update? I applied in July and haven't heard anything, but I don't want to annoy them.

I actually called them last week, and the Director of Admissions said that they would be sending out rejection letters to those who were not accepted starting the end of october. I think it would be fine if you gave them a call to check up for yourself :) cross your fingers, i'm still waiting to hear back!

What do you folks think about e-mailing them for an update? I applied in July and haven't heard anything, but I don't want to annoy them.

I actually called them last week, and the Director of Admissions said that they would be sending out rejection letters to those who were not accepted starting the end of october. I think it would be fine if you gave them a call to check up for yourself :) cross your fingers, i'm still waiting to hear back!

Hi everyone, I interviewed oct 7th. I'm the asian guy from LA if anyone was there that day.

After getting a rejection from another school on what I thought was a really good interview and being the 2nd year I'm applying I was getting pretty bummed out. I felt like being my honest self wasnt good enough. Lo and behold I just got an early acceptance yesterday from Drexel.

After interviewing at several schools my best advice is simply like what everyone has been saying, be yourself. Be confident in who you are, rid your self doubts, and make a serious push to show them who you are. It's really easy to sense people that are being honest or not just like how you can tell when the faculty and students, whether consciously or not, are trying to impress you about the program more than being honest.

Most people won't try to stump you but if they do, don't panic and don't feel like you should be apologetic. On a few interviews, I've gotten questions like how many hours of CME do you need to do, how many hours of studying do you think you'll need to do each day, or did you look up info about the staff online? Whether I know those answers or not, I think those kinds of questions are just a waste of time and quite irritating. And if I don't know it, I'll just say I dont know, unapologetically. I'd much rather use that valuable time to talk about values, priorities, experiences, or skills.

Most of it is subjective, what the interviewer is looking for, or how the individual students n facaulty that happen to be there that day and the impression they give to you. In that sense, what happens is out of your reach so all you can do is do your best to be yourself and enjoy the day of getting to know the people there and your fellow potential classmates. Interview days are always stressful but I have always enjoyed meeting people there that day :)

Hope some of that was helpful and it wasn't entirely just a rant!

Archived