breastfeeding/pumping student mother

Hello, I have just returned from maternity leave and have re-started my clinical rotations. I will be assigned to difficult, non-clinic setting rotations (eg. surgery, ortho, ER) and was wondering if there are any other students on their rotation year that is pumping breastmilk? I am finding it difficult and awkward as a student to break away for at least 20 min in order to pump milk and clean parts. Do you know if there are any rights as a student and/or any tips/advice on how to be successful as a new mother choosing to breastfeed her 2 month old baby without compromising being successful as a student? Please help! I feel absolutely discouraged in this area...thanks!

I got this off the Similac web site:[h=2]Q: I know that I'm going to have to go back to work. How can I continue to give my baby breast milk while I'm away?[/h]A: You can continue giving your baby breast milk while you are away by expressing (commonly called pumping) breast milk to be bottle fed. Many women pump during the day while at work and breast feed when they are at home. In order to pump breast milk at work, you'll need a pump, access to a private area, a place to store the breast milk while at work (a breast milk cooler or refrigerator/freezer), breast milk storage bags/bottles, flexible break time, and a supportive company policy. Your employer may already have an established lactation program to help you get started. Regardless, let your supervisor know of your pumping needs in advance so that you have a plan that will work for both of you.

So ask if the hospital or clinic on each rotation if they have a lactation program.

Look you are working with Medical professionals. If you try and hide the fact that you are "disappearing" for 20 mins at a time for no apparrent reason they will think you are lazy. So I say be upfront and talk to your preceptor. That and prepare to be flexible because even if you were already a PA-C working in these settings timing may not be in anyones control that and a private area might be 10 mins walk away. Soooooo one definately pump immediately before you start your shift and pump when the opportunity allows even though it may not be the optimal time because the next moment you may be fully scrubbed into a case or have a trauma coming in. If you preceptor asks you to go see Patient Smith and it is time to pump ask them if they would prefer you see the patient before or after you "attend to the dairy farm" or "Mom juice". Also look around the area you are working in to see where there is a private area that will allow you to pump while being close to your work area (maybe an employee bathroom, a conference room, a office etc... and arrange to have access ahead of time.

No matter what it won't be easy in these settings butMom, PA-C /RNs/ MDs I am sure have had to "deal" with it before. They key is flexability from you and your preceptor. But don't try to hide it as your absence will be noted and without knowning why assumptions will be made about your work ethic.

Talk to your preceptor, yes. Also, talk to the nurses. Many hospitals have a room dedicated to pumping/nursing employees. The nurses (especially if you're able to sneak away and go to L & D) will know where this room is located if the facility at which you are working has one. Don't be shy about asking for a few minutes to take care of things. It can be both very uncomfortable as well as embarrassing if you're not able to get away, but DO take the time when it's available even if it's not the "right" time. I speak from experience (working and pumping for four kids). Night shifts were always the most difficult.

I agree with the above. You will need frequent pump breaks to try and keep up with such a young infant. Don't worry about this. Your baby is MORE IMPORTANT! Having worked as a PA-C in the ED and breastfed my baby for one year, I understand your challenge. Just know that in the great scheme of things, you're not missing that much of your schooling, but your baby misses out greatly if you don't breastfeeding. You can do it! :)

I'd like to share from a licensed healthcare professional (dietitian and diabetes educator x 20 years) absolutely do your pumping thing and lead by example by coming in early, staying late, eating lunch while pumping, that kind of thing. I have worked in 5 hospitals in 2 states and another country (just Canada) and I have never met a hospital/fellow healthcare provider who would not support you. Heck I led a Ironman triathlon 4 day workshop while pumping and told my class of 50, majority of men, ok class we're going to break again cuz the baby's calling! Most of them were dads themselves and I didn't receive one complaint on my evaluation for the 3-4 15 minute breaks we took each day!

I'd like to share from a licensed healthcare professional (dietitian and diabetes educator x 20 years) absolutely do your pumping thing and lead by example by coming in early, staying late, eating lunch while pumping, that kind of thing. I have worked in 5 hospitals in 2 states and another country (just Canada) and I have never met a hospital/fellow healthcare provider who would not support you. Heck I led a Ironman triathlon 4 day workshop while pumping and told my class of 50, majority of men, ok class we're going to break again cuz the baby's calling! Most of them were dads themselves and I didn't receive one complaint on my evaluation for the 3-4 15 minute breaks we took each day!

I LOVE this!! WTG!

Archived