Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me. What type of speech class is required? Interpersonal Comm? Intercultural Comm? or Public Speaking? Looking for any help. Thanks

SoCal

Hey there: here is what I was told by Monica when I spoke to her a few months back: Take “Public Speaking” – look at descriptions for: Speech 1,4,8 via College of the Sequoias (not available online) to determine equivalency. I have enrolled in a course through Cerro Coso, online, but I have to travel to the campus 4x (on Saturdays) to give the speeches.

• 2 weeks later...

Swooshie its not that I am ungrateful for the assistance you have already given. It just seems to me that if they wanted a specific course they should say that. They want College Algebra and they didn't just say "Mathematics". The Articulation Number isn't much help to me. Maybe i don't know how to find comparable CAN classes. Anyways I am looking for a Public Speaking course here in the LA area and all the community colleges are FULL!! Gonna try to crash a course and get added.

Take an entry level speech class. Public speaking. Others we have to evaluate and may not be able to accept. You are right, the budget cuts have made it more challenging to get into classes. Still, we are bound to our Pre reqs by ARC-PA and MBCPAC approval. There are some online classes that we will accept from regionally accredited schools. Don't recall where. Considering how bad the current situation is getting classes, we will even take this Clep: http://www.free-clep-prep.com/Principles-of-Public-Speaking-DSST.html to met the prereq. If you have a problem with anyone, about this clep meeting prereqs to the program, politely refer them to me. Hope this answers your question.

Swooshie its not that I am ungrateful for the assistance you have already given. It just seems to me that if they wanted a specific course they should say that. They want College Algebra and they didn't just say "Mathematics". The Articulation Number isn't much help to me. Maybe i don't know how to find comparable CAN classes. Anyways I am looking for a Public Speaking course here in the LA area and all the community colleges are FULL!! Gonna try to crash a course and get added.

No worries at all! Good luck crashing the class. The only class locally for me (we have one very small CC, nothing else closer than 150 miles) is during work hours (10am-11:30) so that was a no-go for me. I am taking it online, although I do have to drive 150 miles to the school 1x per month to give my speech, but thankfully those are on a Saturday. Maybe try something online ? SJVC is ok with online courses ....

Just clear it with the program first. Some things we can't take.

Oh Boy. Thanks for mentioning this. I was under the impression (from a thread a while back about the logistical difficulty us rural folks have in getting pre-reqs) that you guys took online courses. If not, looks like I can drop the Speech class! I will call Monica tomorrow.

Oh Boy. Thanks for mentioning this. I was under the impression (from a thread a while back about the logistical difficulty us rural folks have in getting pre-reqs) that you guys took online courses. If not, looks like I can drop the Speech class! I will call Monica tomorrow.

She is on vacation so that won't help. We do take one line courses specifically speech. Your class is okay. You're taking it at a CCC accredited by WASC.

She is on vacation so that won't help. We do take one line courses specifically speech. Your class is okay. You're taking it at a CCC accredited by WASC.

Thanks for the heads-up Les! My concern now is that my other prereq courses won’t be accepted. Living where I do, everything’s been taken (or repeated due to the 5/10 year rule) online; they all meet the CAN requirements and have been taken through accredited community or 4-year colleges. When I spoke to her in May I asked if SJVC accepted online classes, and she replied that you did, but in retrospect I'm thinking she probably responded in the context of my questions about the speech class, whereas my question was actually regarding all pre-reqs. I should have been more specific. Anyway, I already sent Monica an email last night; I would just need to hear back before Sep 9th so that I can drop the Speech class without it appearing on my transcripts.

Take an entry level speech class. Public speaking. Others we have to evaluate and may not be able to accept. You are right, the budget cuts have made it more challenging to get into classes. Still, we are bound to our Pre reqs by ARC-PA and MBCPAC approval. There are some online classes that we will accept from regionally accredited schools. Don't recall where. Considering how bad the current situation is getting classes, we will even take this Clep: http://www.free-clep-prep.com/Principles-of-Public-Speaking-DSST.html to met the prereq. If you have a problem with anyone, about this clep meeting prereqs to the program, politely refer them to me. Hope this answers your question.

LesH,

Thank you for your help. If a student choses to take the DSST exam for public speaking, what are the procedures for getting credit through SJVC? I am in the same boat as others on this forum. Classes are so impacted and it is extremely difficult to get in a class. Any info is appreciated.

LesH,

Thank you for your help. If a student choses to take the DSST exam for public speaking, what are the procedures for getting credit through SJVC? I am in the same boat as others on this forum. Classes are so impacted and it is extremely difficult to get in a class. Any info is appreciated.

Right now we take the DSST passing score and calculate it in the overall GPA as a C. You will need to send in the result from DSST with your other transcripts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You can also take the course at Western Oklahoma State College (regionally accredited) during winter intersession. Its a accelerated course but if you need it and are serious you can do it. Each course is $373.50

http://www.wosc.edu/index.php?page=Winter-Intersession

Check out the Syllabus http://www.wosc.edu/uploads/melissa.smith/Wiginton_Speech_generic_intersession_syllabus[1]sept302011.pdf

1. Winter Intersession 1 - Dec. 6th - 15th
    -Enrollment Deadline
    11:59pm CST Dec. 5th
    - Course List
  2. Winter Intersession 2 - Dec 16th - 26th
    - Enrollment Deadline
    11:59pm CST Dec.15th
    - Course List

3. Winter Intersession 3 - Dec 27th - Jan 5th
    - Enrollment Deadline
    11:59pm CST Dec.26th
    - Course List