just took panre

You are certified as a PA not an Adult PA. The PANCE lets you have more adult questions but they still have to cover the exam content which includes peds.

Correct...much to my confusion about the purpose of the new options.

NCCPA also doesn't offer a blueprint to guide this shift in exam focus which I certainly would have found helpful.

Q. Is there a content blueprint booklet specific for the practice-focused exams?

A. No, each exam is built to the same content blueprint so we will not have a different content blueprint for the practice-focused PANRE.

Q. Does NCCPA plan to develop Practice Exams that are specific to the content of the practice-focused exams?

A. Practice Exams specifically dealing with adult medicine and surgery will not be developed

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is probably a ridiculous question, but what is the passing %/rate for the PANRE? I've just started studying to take it this summer. With the changes in test writers since I've taken the PANCE I'm slightly concerned but hope that good old fashioned studying will help. Thank you.

Study for the panre the same way you studied for the pance. Take every exam put out by the NCCPA very seriously. Go with your first guy instinct and you should be fine. If you have your study material from the pance just use that and Datachem is suppose to be good. Be sure to do the online exam put out by the NCCPA, it was a good indicator of where you're at.

• 2 weeks later...

I took my first PANRE about a week ago and it was much, much harder than I expected. I found the questions to be harder than any review book, or the online practice exams, which I did pretty well on. A lot of the questions were specialty related- I did not feel that they were truly "primary care" based. I was able to narrow down the toughest questions to 2 answers... I wish I could post one or two of the questions here, just to show how ridiculous they were. I studied a lot for this exam- I basically took the NCCPA blueprint and wrote out my own study guide, used the AAPA book (did all questions), Appleton and Lange, and online practice tests. I didn't use DataChem, but am not convinced this would have made any difference.

I don't feel this exam is useful in evaluating whether or not I am competent to practice. As an ortho and ER PA, I feel that I do a damn good job at work, and am pretty well rounded, but I would not be surprised if I did not do very well, or even did not pass, this exam.

Sorry for venting, but I was shocked!

As an ortho and ER PA, I feel that I do a damn good job at work, and am pretty well rounded, but I would not be surprised if I did not do very well, or even did not pass, this exam.

Sorry for venting, but I was shocked!

Many of us feel the same way about this exam that is suppose to measure competency and leaves us feeling quite incompetent. Hope you have your results back and can take a big sigh of relief until the next time around.

WOW! took PANRE yesterday - - yikes, it was tough!! Know your murmurs, emergency rx for cardiac presentations, endo, and quite a bit of PEDS (I took primary care!). Most questions are easily narrowed to TWO answers (out of 5) however, it was tough! wow. does anybody out there know how long it will be before the NCCPA website posts the grade? after the exam , it states "TWO WEEKS"...that seems like a long time in the age of computers!!

• 1 month later...

I took the PANRE yesterday and I'm not feeling so great about it. I am a Neonatal PA (10 years) but studied hard for the last 2 months and felt prepared going in. There was a lot of Pharmacology. Know your drugs and SE! This was my second recertification and my exam 6 years ago was much different. Good luck to anyone taking it!

• 4 weeks later...

I took the PANRE yesterday and was so amazed at how hard it was. I took a CME review course and didn't think it was helpful at all. I work in an Urgent Care center, so of course I went the Primary care route. There were tons of ER questions, SO much pharmacology.....it was NOT in the review course. It was incredibly hard. I don't feel that a recert exam should be so difficult. I am so disappointed that I spent the money on the review course and the test was not on that.

What dose that mean, they curve it fairly low? How many questions do you have to get to pass. The waiting is torture. There was so much ER cardio info and pharmacology on there. The NCCPA questions on the practice exam tests, I did well on but I did not fell they were close to an indicator of the actual exam. i have been in practice for 6 years and am the head PA of a facility that sees on average 300 patients a day. This test was not an test of my knowledge. If I fail, I have 1 more chance or I lose my license. Why would they make a test so hard when they are realistic question? I had a ct scan and MRI that I had to interrupt.....what PA has to do that?

Be thankful we are now in the computer age. It use to be offered only once a year at the PA school with fill-in-the-dot answer sheets. Gotta love computers.

I think the two attempts thing is just if you wait until the 6th year. You have to wait 90 days to take it again.

I'm gnashing teeth preparing for the PANRE exam as well. Seems like I heard some gossip about making it q10 instead of q6, hope so.

I am very nervous. I don't understand why it has to be so hard. I work daily in a bust practice and studied for a month and was in tears when i walked out the door. And the thought of failing and only haing one more chance......why must it be so difficult.

Be thankful we are now in the computer age. It use to be offered only once a year at the PA school with fill-in-the-dot answer sheets. Gotta love computers.

yup, I remember when it(PANCE) was a real test...3 written components( general knowledge, primary care, surgery), 3 practicals( 2 x 10 min, 1 x 20 min). not boards afternoon, boards WEEK.

Archived