just took panre

just took panre and it was very different b/c the nccpa just added Dr. Sefcik to its staff. Dr. sefcik was a pharmacist at one time who later became a DO. He may have worked emergency med, and he was the director of the pa program at midwestern. So the exam had his fingerprints all over it. Where it used to be based at more family practice, it now is emergency med and alot of pharmacy. You are required to know the side effects of first and second choice medications. I don't know if I passed, if I did it wasn't by much. If I have to do it over I'll know what and who I'm up against.:rolleyes::confused: There was alot of ID on there too. I usually do good in that area. The ortho wasn't that bad, 6 yrs ago they asked you to classify a fx and many of us who aren't in ortho got spanked. Best of luck to everyone, i'll probably need it too.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Also, do you have any suggestions for study material? Some threads have suggested Van Rhee and Zarbock, but neither of those books have a phamacology section. In what area of medicine do you practice? I am concerned even more now because I have not been practicing for 3 years and never worked in any primary care area.

I took the pance in 1996. But the pance is always going to be horrific b/c they want to make sure that your capable of going out there and being a certified PA! It wasn't done on computer back then, we were all in a big room and we had 3 oral exams we had to pass. WOW!!! If anyone failed it was usually that. Everyones heart was beating so hard you could hardly hear yourself think. You have it much easier. People who were overseeing the oral exams were other PAs, they could be brutal. I went to CME resources and used the book put out by the AAPA, both were useful but concentrate on cardio, pulm,gi, ortho and id. They'll tell you only the first four, but with all the infectious disease (stds) they'll hit that hard. Know your first and second med choices and SIDE EFFECTS! I knew the side effects of the first choice but not the second one. Once again DELTADIVA congrats on being a PA-C.

Guest DeltaDiva
Who is the author?

cf44: Patrick C. Auth PA-C and Morris Kerstein, MD

MarilynPA-C: Thank you. I am still elated and so glad that it is over with and done!

I took the pance in 1996. But the pance is always going to be horrific b/c they want to make sure that your capable of going out there and being a certified PA! It wasn't done on computer back then, we were all in a big room and we had 3 oral exams we had to pass. WOW!!! If anyone failed it was usually that. Everyones heart was beating so hard you could hardly hear yourself think. You have it much easier. People who were overseeing the oral exams were other PAs, they could be brutal. I went to CME resources and used the book put out by the AAPA, both were useful but concentrate on cardio, pulm,gi, ortho and id. They'll tell you only the first four, but with all the infectious disease (stds) they'll hit that hard. Know your first and second med choices and SIDE EFFECTS! I knew the side effects of the first choice but not the second one. Once again DELTADIVA congrats on being a PA-C.

That physical exam check list wasn't hard, but one pas did fail it.

• 11 months later...
just took panre and it was very different b/c the nccpa just added Dr. Sefcik to its staff. Dr. sefcik was a pharmacist at one time who later became a DO. He may have worked emergency med, and he was the director of the pa program at midwestern. So the exam had his fingerprints all over it. Where it used to be based at more family practice, it now is emergency med and alot of pharmacy. You are required to know the side effects of first and second choice medications. I don't know if I passed, if I did it wasn't by much. If I have to do it over I'll know what and who I'm up against.rolleyes.gifconfused.gif There was alot of ID on there too. I usually do good in that area. The ortho wasn't that bad, 6 yrs ago they asked you to classify a fx and many of us who aren't in ortho got spanked. Best of luck to everyone, i'll probably need it too.

I am sure you did fine. But, it is interesting to read what a difference one person can make in the exam.

As a member of one of the NCCPA item-writing committees, I believe it is important to clarify the process regarding exam creation given that there are some serious misconceptions in the above posts:

First off, having 1 individual "join the NCCPA" does not mean they are on an item-writing committee. I do not know what capacity Dr. Sefcik is in at the NCCPA, but it is worth pointing this out.

Secondly, item writing committees are comprised of a group, wherein each individual on the committee is asked to create the same number of questions. Which means that no one person is entirely responsible/influential as it pertains to exam content.

Thirdly, items are not tossed out during the item writing/editing process such that any one person's items would be the only ones in there; the questions are selected based on their quality as assessed according to multiple criteria, not on who wrote what.

Saying what was said in the above posts is completely incorrect. Therefore, to say that you know "who you are up against" is not only wrong, but is a poor way of viewing the exam process overall; there is no "us against them" in this, it is an exam intended to verify that a PA has the competence to keep doing what they do, without enmity or antagonism. Recertifying every 6 years is a known phenomenon about the physician assistant profession to all who decide to undertake the profession. In the event of not passing, coming back later and saying it had to do with any one individual is a less-than-ideal attitude to have.

That post was started a yr ago, I'm sure panre has changed since then. I started that post for PAs who are in subspecialties, there are many, to hit the main four hard. Taking a review class helps a lot too. If you're doing IM or EM you should be fine...skim over women's health and Behavioral med. But if you're in ortho, behav med and not working with cardio and the meds that go with it, prepare yourself.

• 1 month later...

I just took the PANRE Adult Medicine Exam.

Imagine my surprise when there were a few pediatric cases on this "adult" exam.(I've never touched a little person as a PA-C which is precisely why I took this option)

Hope NCCPA will consider sticking to the exam content that they advertise in the future.

I'm sure you did fine cat. I find that very interesting what you wrote...I would have been surprised too! You didn't say how you found the exam to be? Many, many zebras? Or more straight forward.....

I did pass but I found the adult medicine exam one of the hardest I have taken in my numberous recertifications. Some questions seemed to have been at the PANCE level while others were specialty oriented. HUGE cardiac focus with everything from A-Z concerning cardiovascular disease, diagnostics and therapeutics. I found that major diseases that are seen in adult medicine weren't even mentioned....while there were the few pediatric cases that were slipped in (and when I saw peds questions I had to meditate to regain my composure!) All in all I just found it to be a very odd examination for measurement of competency in adult contents.

• 3 weeks later...

I put that post up over a yr ago and it was one of the first ones I ever did, if not the first. Yes, I passed with flying colors but it sounds like you got the same exam I did. I started that thread to help PAs that work in ortho, behav med, derm to try to take a review course or at least give the study prep a bit more time. Many people got spanked on this test!!!

I just took the PANRE yesterday and I believe it kicked my a$$. The content was completely unexpected. Mostly all pharmacy, ER and ID related. I have been pretty speechless since the exam. Hope we both passed!

I feel your pain on this current PANRE...I had the exact same sentiments when I took it last month.

Nobody said it was suppose to be an easy exam but I really did find it extremely surprising in content this time around.

• 3 weeks later...
I just took the PANRE Adult Medicine Exam.

Imagine my surprise when there were a few pediatric cases on this "adult" exam.(I've never touched a little person as a PA-C which is precisely why I took this option)

Hope NCCPA will consider sticking to the exam content that they advertise in the future.

They were sticking to exam content. From NCCPA:

"If you choose the new option, the PANRE exam will still be a generalist exam, you will just have the option of having more generalist questions in one of the areas listed above. No matter which option you choose, the content blueprint remains the same because it is still a generalist exam."

You are certified as a PA not an Adult PA. The PANCE lets you have more adult questions but they still have to cover the exam content which includes peds.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived