what does anyone know about this program

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am in the program now. We started in January. I really like the program so far! We have about 40 students in the class of 2015. The admissions committee is looking for people who will work well in a class together. We have people from all different backgrounds. I don't know if I have any tips.. the interview was really laid back and everyone is super nice. They just want to get to know you, no trick questions thrown at you. We are taking 20 credits now for term 1. We elected a class president, VP and officers. Everyone helps each other out, not really the competitive nature that I've heard from people I know that went to law school. The work load is big, but doable. We are dissecting cadavers now as well. Overall, it's a great program and I am really glad I am here. If you have any more specific questions feel free to message me or ask me here!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

At Registered:  the process has not gone smoothly, above is correct only 47% first time pass rate, my guess is they don't want the news getting out yet . They do not prepare you to take the Pance and the students that did not pass are bright, intelligent people most of them receiving honors when they graduated. The program Director takes no responsibility on this class not passing, he blames it on the students.  I think he has his heart set on a high pass rate from 2014 but that is to be seen. A lot of time was wasted with this class on figuring out what works. The program's medical director quit before the first class had even graduated, and one of the full time clinical professors just left. Its sad really, I feel horrible about 2013 Loans are coming due and the graduates are left holding the bucket and strings were cut. My advice PLEASE don't Waste your time Applying here until they get it together, if they get it together.

Pathogo, don't worry about what pauls smith said. The first class only had 19 students and I'm sure many kinks to work through. I'm a student in the program now and can assure you it is a challenging and well rounded program and I have been very impressed for the most part. We've also had some faculty changes recently that will defintely impact your incoming class for the better. The program has evolved, in a large respect due to student input. Also, it's worth noting that many of our adjunct professors for Clinical Medicine also teach the same material at other PA programs in Connecticut. The caliber of students in the 2014 and 2015 classes are really impressive. Also, those who have passed their PANCE from the 2013 class are off and working awesome jobs and a few landed killer residencies. Personally, I'm really happy with my choice to come to UB and feel like I will be prepared. We are all really excited to have you and all the other new students here in January! If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.

I'd like to point out that pauls smith and PA- graduate both created their accounts yesterday around the same time. They both posted around the same time. I think it is one bitter person who created two accounts. Ignore their posts. I am also in the program and everything A&Ox4 wrote is absolutely correct. This is a great program and the current faculty and program director are smart, wonderful people who want us to succeed. Feel free to contact me with any questions as well.

I think what most applicants are concerned with is the provisional accreditation status. Do you see any major faults that the program has that may affect it from getting accredited or causing poor PANCE results? How well do you think the program is preparing you for the PANCE/exams/as a PA?

I think what most applicants are concerned with is the provisional accreditation status. Do you see any major faults that the program has that may affect it from getting accredited or causing poor PANCE results? How well do you think the program is preparing you for the PANCE/exams/as a PA?

The PA program has officially received its full accreditation this summer. I believe they just updated their website recently. here is a link below.

http://www.bridgeport.edu/academics/graduate/physician-assistant-ms/accreditation/

Guest wilsonct

Interesting thread - Have no stake in this but does seem that PaulSmith has some issue - and am sure that the 9 people who have found jobs are thrilled - but "program has evolved, in a large respect due to student input" could be a problem because maybe the students don't really know what they need to learn, otherwise why be there? And if faculty are leaving - even if students think that is good - wonder why they would chose to leave? If they did get accreditation and students still cannot pass, then what's up with the accreditation process? Or is it how stuff is taught? Or is it just the first class?

No answers - lots of questions - the kind of questions that might cause someone to reconsider - especially if the school is being secretive regarding pass rates to incoming students.

I just want to start with how message board forums should work. Message boards allow anyone to sign in under an alias and insert his/her biased or disgruntled opinion. Comments on a PA forum should not come off as a negative customer feedback on a broken printer. I, as a current student of the University of Bridgeport, may be biased so I will stick with the facts. In the first two terms as part of your anatomy curriculum you are hands on in a cadaver lab with a cadaver for every 4 students. This is not a virtual cadaver and this is not a cadaver at a different location. This is cadaver lab a half block away that you use to learn the ins and outs of anatomy that a textbook cannot do justice for. We also recently finished a trip to complete our first sensitive exams, which is not offered by many programs. A sensitive exam gives you the chance to perform a rectal, testicular, breast, and vaginal exam on real professional patients that will give you feedback. Fact, we are here 9 to 5 +/- 1 to 2 hours every day in class. Yes, the first pass was 47%, but that was a program forming into the newly accredited program as of Sept, 2013. If the ARC-PA believes this program has developed into a PANCE ready intuition, then I wouldn’t disregard that fact. A PA program like the health profession in itself needs to adapt and not become complacent. The program does not take the exam, but instead the student. 

Archived