Acceptances/ Interviews?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...

Dream0718,

Congrats on the interview. Just had one on August 11th. There were four people in our group for interviews. The interview was fairly laid back. They started out with an information session about the school and program. Lunch was provided. We then had 30 minutes to respond to two separate short essay questions. One question was a moral/ethical question, and the other question was in regards to explaining how the heart pumps blood. We then had separate interviews with four different people. Typical questions, why do you want to be a PA?, how do you deal with stress?, etc.... They were all very nice. The interview was over at 4:00pm. Just be yourself. I think I was too over prepared! Good luck and let me know your thoughts?

For those of you that are interviewing in the future, the current PA students are available for questions beforehand. We have class until noon on wednesdays (until the second week of Sept., then we are off for three weeks) and then we hang around to see if they are having interviews that day or we go into the atrium to eat lunch. They've been having interviews for the past few weeks and some of us have stayed after class to meet with prospective students in case they had any questions. I know sometimes it helps to talk to somebody who has already been through the interview process. I just wanted to throw that out there for any of you who wouldn't mind getting there a little early before your interview to talk to someone. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message :)

Hello, are you a current PA student at SU Tampa? If so, I am from waaaayyy out of town (Ohio). I came to interview in early August. How do you feel about the program, do you like it and are you glad you chose it? Also, as far as the area goes, are there any good placed to run like trails or parks? Also, is there any type of rec center near by that students use? Basically, any insight on the program would be very helpful, and if you are not a current student I apologize. Thanks!!

I interviewed in Savannah last summer. I really liked the city and was impressed with the program. I bombed that group interview though. I am terrible in group interviews. And during my one on one with one of the professors, she got up to get a dr. pepper out of a vending machine and then for something else...it was really awkward.

I was really impressed with the Tampa program after all my questions were answered and the orientation. I am going to Tampa in late October to find a place to live...I'm hoping the school sends some info about good places really soon so I can research.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure when they stop interviewing, but I have my interview on Oct. 13. I can't wait for it! As for stats CASPA mailed my app to South on 8/13 and I heared back from South on 9/24. My overall GPA: 3.7 and Science GPA: 3.54

Hope that helps and looking forward to meeting those of you who are interviewing on the 13th! Any suggestions on the interview process would be appreciated. I also noticed that at least 2 students for the class entering in 1/2011 have children....what do you think the age range of the students will be? Does anyone know how many seats are still available for 1/2011?

I mailed my CASPA application on July 6th. I heard from South about a week later and interviewed on August 11. I found out the next day that I was accepted. I believe they interview through the month of October according to the website. My science GPA is a 3.2...and I have quite a bit of health care experience. They ask all the usual questions...why do you want to be a PA? Why not MD/NP? Explain deficiencies on your transcript...questions about your experiences in the medical field, such as experiences you had shadowing a PA. how do you handle stress...ethical questions. This was my third time applying to PA school and I finally got in. I was very impressed with South -Tampa. The faculty were all very nice.

The website says they take 24....I am not sure what number seat I accepted. Also not sure about the age range of students...I am hoping they send me some info soon so I can contact some people. I am going up Halloween weekend to find an apartment....

anyone have apartment advice!?!?!?!?!?

Janelle.Duhon thanks for the info. I also have health experience as a surgical technologist so I hope that helps me as well! I also like the environment of South and I know the faculty is very nice. I live in the area and the apartment advice really depends on your personal situation such as if you have children or not. If you do I would really be concerned with the public school in which you are zoned for. I am originally from Louisiana and when I moved here I had a rude awakening on the education standards for the public school system for my children. Also you may be interested in renting a house b/c I've heard that it is cheaper to rent than an apartment due to how many are out there with the housing crisis that hit the Tampa Bay area really hard.

There are many apartments though on N. Dale Mabry such as Carlton Arms: Apartments for rent Carlton Arms North Tampa Florida Rental

and others you may want to search on the following website: Rent.com: Search Results

I would just check the address and Google map it to make sure it isn't too far away. Once you find one you like, I would call South to see if anyone there could tell you if it is in a good area or not b/c there are some areas that are not the best to be in alone. If you are looking for a great church, Grace Family Church on Van Dyke off of N. Dale Mabry is an awesome come as you are in jeans and flip-flops kind of church with about 4500 members.

Hope that helps and congratulations again on your acceptance......sure hope to join you in January!

Looks like the links did not show up so I'll try once more:

Carlton Arms: www.carltonarmsnorth.com

The other is way to long to type in so I would just go to rent.com as it shows and type in Tampa/Carrollwood area and that should bring up a bunch!

You may want to check out Busch Gardens while you are in town for Howl-O-Scream: www.howl-o-scream.com/

Good luck! :)

I would be thrilled to be back home in NO to celebrate. Esp. since my b-day is on Oct 31! So are you from there? I know there are many Duhon's in that area. If you are from there where did you go to high school.....I went to Slidell High but many of my college credits are from Delgado and Southeastern La. Univ. If you are from there that makes me that much more wanting to be in the PA program with you. :-)

Archived