Cornell PA Program Pros and Cons

I am a Weill Cornell PA student open to questions about the Cornell PA program. I thought I would make myself available to anyone who might want to find out more about the school.

Many students choose Cornell because of its surgical focus and because the name Cornell might serve them in the future. While this is may be true, it is a lot to pay for reputation. The school’s cost with tuition and fees (fees are an additional 20-25% of tuition) is approximately $75,000. Living in New York costs at least another $1500-2000/month. Total debt at the end of two years could be as much as $150,000.

I have listed some pros and cons about Cornell's program, because each one of you will be dedicating the next couple of years to studying hard and accruing a considerable debt. Hopefully this list will give you the extra information you need to choose the program that is right for you.

Pros:

1.Surgically focused program with an awesome surgery professor.

2.Full anatomy dissection course with a great team of doctors. Lots of support and about 6 students per cadaver. (This was an intensive course done in 6 weeks).

3.15 months of rotations in excellent settings.

4.Short didactic year of 10 months.

5.Most professors teach their material well.

Cons:

1.The program is poorly administered and lacks sufficient staff to administer the program correctly.

2.Very little student support.

3.Schedules are posted weekly, not by semester.

4.Mandatory dress requirement: men must wear ties and women cannot wear open-toed shoes.

5.The program lacks teaching space and has to shuffle its students around at times.

6.Mandatory class attendance.

7.Housing is not guaranteed.

Again, feel free to contact me with any questions.

• Upvote 1

Hi.

Thanks for your post, and for offering to help out applying students, like myself, with questions about Cornell's PA program. I actually visited the campus earlier this year, and was surprised to see how little space there is available on your floor. Nevertheless, it did not dissuade me from wanting to apply. Is there any advice you'd like to give to applying students?

• Upvote 1

I'm a current student in the clinical year. Having interviewed prospective students last year I can tell you a bit about what was impressive and unimpressive:

Impressive:

1) Your true knowledge of what a PA does

2) Enthusiasm for the program, knowing the program as best you possibly can

3) PRIOR HEALTHCARE EXPERIENCE... I can't stress enough how much this will benefit you. The current trend in many PAs schools throughout the country is to choose grades/GRE over HCE....but when you start working or get into clinical the HCE matters and will make you a better provider.

Unimpressive:

1) Memorizing the definition of a PA from a website

2) Overtly stating that you were going to apply to medical school but thought PA school would be easier....and its not easier.

3) Telling me about all the instruments you play and how you did some really complex chemistry reasearch.....thats all well and good, but I'm interested in why you want to be a PA, why you think you should be accepted and a then some about yourself.

Hi,

advice....make sure you follow the rules very clearly when you apply to Cornell. They are serious about having all the information into CASPA before they receive it. You will not be able to send letters of recommendation or GRE scores separately. Your application will automatically be disqualified if you did not follow their rules.

Interviews...be yourself. I find that the that the interviewers are more interested in your personality at this point than your credentials. Your credentials got you the interview. Now they want to see who you are. Some interviewers are more intimidating than others....don't be fooled. They just want to see how you will react.

Good luck

I am a Weill Cornell PA student open to questions about the Cornell PA program. I thought I would make myself available to anyone who might want to find out more about the school.

Many students choose Cornell because of its surgical focus and because the name Cornell might serve them in the future. While this is may be true, it is a lot to pay for reputation. The school’s cost with tuition and fees (fees are an additional 20-25% of tuition) is approximately $75,000. Living in New York costs at least another $1500-2000/month. Total debt at the end of two years could be as much as $150,000.

I have listed some pros and cons about Cornell's program, because each one of you will be dedicating the next couple of years to studying hard and accruing a considerable debt. Hopefully this list will give you the extra information you need to choose the program that is right for you.

Pros:

1.Surgically focused program with an awesome surgery professor.

2.Full anatomy dissection course with a great team of doctors. Lots of support and about 6 students per cadaver. (This was an intensive course done in 6 weeks).

3.15 months of rotations in excellent settings.

4.Short didactic year of 10 months.

5.Most professors teach their material well.

Cons:

1.The program is poorly administered and lacks sufficient staff to administer the program correctly.

2.Very little student support.

3.Schedules are posted weekly, not by semester.

4.Mandatory dress requirement: men must wear ties and women cannot wear open-toed shoes.

5.The program lacks teaching space and has to shuffle its students around at times.

6.Mandatory class attendance.

7.Housing is not guaranteed.

Again, feel free to contact me with any questions.

Just a friendly reminder: these posts are not all-inclusive, do not speak on behalf of all currently enrolled Cornell students, and are specific to individual experiences alone...

I have had nothing but positive interactions with the friendly and supportive staff, faculty, and administration of Cornell's PA Program. The majority of us are happy in our role as PA students, flexible and adaptable to the Program's demands, and- albeit a slight increase, believe that our future opportunities as PAs far outweighs the financial burden/educational investment.

A commitment to the PA profession- in any program, is intense...but fabulous just the same! Good luck to everyone with their interviews/application process...and hope to see you next Spring!!

Nako12381,

I think it's great that you got a chance to visit the PA program/classroom @ 575 Lexington. I know they love it when students show interest early on. Did you get a chance to sit in on a lecture? I would highly recommend it. Not only will you get a chance to see some of our professors in "action" but it's also great because it's another way for the administrators to remember your name out of thousands of applicants! I also recommend that you read "An Applicants Guide to Physican Assistant School and Practice" by Erin Sherer. She was a Cornell grad, and she gives some great advice on applications/essays/interviews.

Our classroom @ 575 might be small, but its definitely adequate for what we need. Some courses (anatomy, biochem) are offered at the hospital/campus and personally, I think it's nice to switch it up sometimes and have class up there. I often study/hangout at the Hospital/Library because it's a great learning environment! If you haven't had a chance to do so, I suggest you pay it a visit. Its on the water and very serene!

The program at Cornell is definitely VERY intense and you will work incredibly hard (as I'm sure you've heard!) Some of the administrators/faculty seem hardcore/serious but its only because they really want you to succeed as a PA. I've always found them to be available, helpful and very supportive (did I mention that they are SO SMART it's scaaaaaary?!?).

If you are one of the fortunate hundreds to be granted a secondary application, and then an interview, you should be very proud of yourself. If you end up getting in, be ready to study your bum off, learn a ton, and see the doors swing wide open for you!!!!

Good luck and PM me with any ?'s

• Like 1

In my brief discussion with the secretary she said that responses would be sent by snail mail. Different than what we were told by the student, but mildly comforting. I will say that there was a post on here for about three hours before it was taken down. It was ten days post-interview from someone who was accepted. This may or may not have been a reliable source. I think the best thing to do right now it sit back and realize that we have made it very far regardless of admission. It is an honor to be interviewed at Cornell. I am sure we will all know in the near future.

Thank you very much for your informative post. I like the honesty. When on interviews, it seems students of the school don't want to say any cons about their school. I wish more did so it would be easier for applicants to really find the school right for them.

• 3 months later...

You are expected to be at the program Monday through Friday from 9-5. Some classes will be scheduled as late as 8pm and others as early as 8am. It depends on whether they need the classroom for other obligations...you share the classroom with the other enrolled classes and during interview season they may use the space for interviews. While you may have time off as a consequence, it just means that in the end you will have longer days and all the material you were supposed to cover in the 10 months is not covered.

As long as you are spontaneous, then having your schedule only a week in advance is not a problem. It is just hard to plan other obligations outside of school.

Hope this was helpful. Good luck.

You are expected to be at the program Monday through Friday from 9-5. Some classes will be scheduled as late as 8pm and others as early as 8am. It depends on whether they need the classroom for other obligations...you share the classroom with the other enrolled classes and during interview season they may use the space for interviews. While you may have time off as a consequence, it just means that in the end you will have longer days and all the material you were supposed to cover in the 10 months is not covered.

As long as you are spontaneous, then having your schedule only a week in advance is not a problem. It is just hard to plan other obligations outside of school.

Hope this was helpful. Good luck.

In choosing a PA program… any program, you are always going to have your very nice & shiny list of pros and your (albeit short!) list of cons. Yes, you of course want to chose and settle into a program that preferably has a lengthier list of the former, but as anything in life… you must suck it up and trudge through the not-so-fun times; in all of our situations, that would be the first year of PA school. My advice to you as a soon-to-be second year (woot woot!): focus your energy on your studies and your outside interests and you are guaranteed an amazing 2+ years ahead. Keep in mind that you have *chosen* to enter this profession: one that sometimes calls for long hours and lots of work, but when all is said and done… many rewards. Throw in some surgery and now you’re REALLY in for some surprises. Bottom line: if you are not willing to adapt to the rigors of life as a grad. student studying medicine, then A) this is not your first priority, or B) you are in for some very miserable years ahead as a PA…

So although it is important to have very high expectations of your program-- both academic and otherwise, keep in mind that you should at the same time retain a certain degree of flexibility. Unless the Program Director is some death row murderer, serial rapist, Bernie Madoff (you get the point), there really is no reason to not be able to adapt to the expectations and schedule set forth of you as a PA student. Our schedule is on average 8/9am-4/5pm… almost always with a 1hr. break for lunch. Yes, there are days that may go over that time frame, but they are few and far in between and we are warned with enough time in advance to make proper arrangements. If you are in search of a reliable 9-5 schedule then maybe a position at Citibank would be a better option…

Keep in mind that Cornell is located not only in New York City, but in the very heart of Manhattan. Space is sometimes limited (but more than adequate) and at times you will have to commute… but welcome to urban life. And did I mention that we are in the heart of NYC??? ; )

Good luck to those applying/waiting, congrats to those already accepted… and GO BIG RED!!

• 2 weeks later...

My interpretation of the PA profession is quite different. While it is true that graduate programs can be rigorous, it does not mean that as a PA you cannot have a well-rounded life. It is possible to have a family and other interests. It just depends on your needs. I know some PAs that work relentlessly in a hospital/surgical practice and then moonlight for more hours. Others that work in a private general practice that functions on a more 9-5 basis, while others teach.

Not only can the hours be flexible, but the work can too. You can switch between specialties depending on your interests. One day you can work with pediatric patients and then decide to work with the geriatric community. I know people who have moved throughout the country doing just that and love the flexibility of the profession. So yes, while your time in school is demanding, it is possible to have a family and enjoy a fulfilling career.

In choosing a PA program… any program, you are always going to have your very nice & shiny list of pros and your (albeit short!) list of cons. Yes, you of course want to chose and settle into a program that preferably has a lengthier list of the former, but as anything in life… you must suck it up and trudge through the not-so-fun times; in all of our situations, that would be the first year of PA school. My advice to you as a soon-to-be second year (woot woot!): focus your energy on your studies and your outside interests and you are guaranteed an amazing 2+ years ahead. Keep in mind that you have *chosen* to enter this profession: one that sometimes calls for long hours and lots of work, but when all is said and done… many rewards. Throw in some surgery and now you’re REALLY in for some surprises. Bottom line: if you are not willing to adapt to the rigors of life as a grad. student studying medicine, then A) this is not your first priority, or B) you are in for some very miserable years ahead as a PA…

So although it is important to have very high expectations of your program-- both academic and otherwise, keep in mind that you should at the same time retain a certain degree of flexibility. Unless the Program Director is some death row murderer, serial rapist, Bernie Madoff (you get the point), there really is no reason to not be able to adapt to the expectations and schedule set forth of you as a PA student. Our schedule is on average 8/9am-4/5pm… almost always with a 1hr. break for lunch. Yes, there are days that may go over that time frame, but they are few and far in between and we are warned with enough time in advance to make proper arrangements. If you are in search of a reliable 9-5 schedule then maybe a position at Citibank would be a better option…

Keep in mind that Cornell is located not only in New York City, but in the very heart of Manhattan. Space is sometimes limited (but more than adequate) and at times you will have to commute… but welcome to urban life. And did I mention that we are in the heart of NYC??? ; )

Good luck to those applying/waiting, congrats to those already accepted… and GO BIG RED!!

Hey. Will you clarify what you mean by schedules being posted weekly? How much do they vary from week to week? Do the hours change much? My daughter will need to be in daycare so having a radically changing schedule would be hard for the woman who will take care of her. Thank you for your advice!

Hi aggesten,

Schedules are subject to change but I wouldn't go as far as saying that they radically change on a regular basis. There are three students in our current class that are parents; yes, they have additional priorities... but they seem to do just fine. The first term (Apr.-Jun.) is pretty much 9-5p... the second is probably the most demanding, with hours sometimes extending further and a lot more studying/exams... and the third is somewhere in between, with Thursday evenings ending around 7/730p and some later clinical skills training. We haven't yet started our rotations, so I cannot comment on that schedule... but I'm sure you know how that goes: new job every month. ; )

Schedules might change for your incoming class, but that's pretty much what we had to work with this past year. Whatever program you chose, you obviously have more to take care of than the average PA student. But with a little re-adjustment I'm sure you will do fine... it's definitely do-able!! Hope that helps... and good luck to you!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest khu34

hello all,

I have just got accepted for class 2012 on Tuesday..I know its a short notice..but I am so excited..I have question regarding living arrangements..is it good idea to live in Queens or housing? Please reply me ASAP as I have to make decision by this coming Tuesday as school is gonna start from Wednesday..I am from GA!!!!!!!

Hi and congrats on getting into Cornell.

If you have school housing available and you don't mind living with others, I would choose that first because it is easy...easy to get to both campuses and no hassle with paperwork etc....If you have something already arranged in Queens and you like quiet and your privacy, then go for Queens. I am not a fan of commuting so I prefer to live near campus. The school is flexible about moving out, so you can always move out in the future.

hello all,

I have just got accepted for class 2012 on Tuesday..I know its a short notice..but I am so excited..I have question regarding living arrangements..is it good idea to live in Queens or housing? Please reply me ASAP as I have to make decision by this coming Tuesday as school is gonna start from Wednesday..I am from GA!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...
Guest blackpanther

I'm planning to cornell this year. does a/o know how much hce matters? i just decided to go into PA last month so i'm planning to get all my experience this summer. i'm going to be getting certified in phlebotomy, getting a job as a phlebotomist (hopefully), shadowing a PA, and interning at the Columbia-Pres medical center. do you think that will be enough? also, i saw on a diff thread that some schools dont count phlebotomy as experience - is that true for cornell?