Fall 2012 acceptances?

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

The application deadline is October 1st and we will not make decisions until early December. We received 1700 applications last year, so it took time to review them. We expect more applications this year but we hope to complete the review by mid-December at the latest. I will keep you posted.

Luis A. Ramos, MS, PA-C

Director and Assistant Professor

Physician Assistant Program

Chatham UNIVERSITY

Woodland Road

Pittsburgh, PA 15232

Phone: 412-365-1405 Fax: 412-365-1623

• 1 month later...
Do you have any statistics for the Puerto Rico cohort? # of applicants and such?

Did you apply to the program in Puerto Rico? Are you fluent in Spanish or did you take some courses? I am fluent since my mother only speaks Spanish, but I never took any courses in college. I took the Spanish AP test in order to satisfy those requirements, I hope that helps. I also lived in Puerto Rico, so I would not mind going back to that wonderful island ! Good luck !! Please post if and when you receive a response.

thanks !!

Hello,

The number of applicants for the Puerto Rico cohort, which started this August, was 204. We only selected 9 students because that is the limit we have to work with at this time. There are 8 students doing their second year on clinical rotations at the San Juan VA Medical Center. We currently have one full-time faculty member and two adjunct faculty members in Puerto Rico. As demand continues and we are authorized to take more students, we hope to grow this cohort. Lastly, there has been no movement on the part of the Puerto Rican government to authorize PA practice in Puerto Rico but we are working with the AAPA and the PAs for Latino Health (a caucus of the AAPA) to get this accomplished.

Good luck everyone!

Luis A. Ramos, MS, PA-C

Chatham UNIVERSITY

Woodland Road

Pittsburgh, PA 15232

Did you apply to the program in Puerto Rico? Are you fluent in Spanish or did you take some courses? I am fluent since my mother only speaks Spanish, but I never took any courses in college. I took the Spanish AP test in order to satisfy those requirements, I hope that helps. I also lived in Puerto Rico, so I would not mind going back to that wonderful island ! Good luck !! Please post if and when you receive a response.

thanks !!

Yes I did apply, I'm fluent in Spanish and have the credits from college so no worries there. Btw do you know Chathams HCE req?

Hello,

The program has not healthcare experience requirement. We do have a shadowing requirement. Although some of our student have healthcare experience, the vast majority of them do not.

Luis A. Ramos, MS, PA-C

Chatham UNIVERSITY

Woodland Road

Pittsburgh, PA 15232

Hello again...

No absolute cut off. We do not rank our candidates by GPAs but use a holistic review process in which once we determine the basic qualifications we look at personal experiences, attributes, and characteristics, as well as superior academic performance, of the candidates. Although credit is provided for these, none of them are individually determinative. Please go to our website for more information about the holistic review and how we select our applicants.

Luis A. Ramos, MS, PA-C

Chatham UNIVERSITY

Woodland Road

Pittsburgh, PA 15232

• 4 weeks later...

^^^^^^^^^^^I was wondering the same thing. I am anxiously awaiting for Puerto Rico, since I would be thrilled to attend. I have plans to work with the Hispanic community, so this is what I need and want for me! In the future do you plan on expanding the class size? Is there plenty of Spanish speaking patient interaction? Good luck to everyone !!

My advice would be to attend one of their open houses, like the one they had today, or schedule a visit to the campus to gain a more accurate idea of what the program is all about and what is involved with succeeding in the program. Talking to faculty and students in person is of tremendous benefit. I attended the open house today and spoke extensively with two current 1st year students. I am very impressed with what I have seen and heard.

Hey everyone! I just wanted to add- I attended a problem-based learning class at Chatham earlier this year and got to speak with some of the current PA students. They were all extremely enthusiastic about the program, and had only good things to say. I personally think that the problem based learning approach is great, especially for students who are hands-on learners. This will be my second time applying to Chatham- I really like their program! Good luck to everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

Luis,

I have applied to Chatham and received the first general email saying I would be contacted if further information was needed but that my application was being reviewed (this was in early September). Many people I talk to have received a second email in early November (they also received the first one that I did) saying essentially the same thing but I did not. Does this mean I am no longer being considered for admission at Chatham?

thank you for your time,

Chelsea Pruckner

Archived