Interviews? (For 2012 matriculation)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For those of you that have an interview coming up, have you all received the packet from Samuel Merritt with all the details and specifics? I have yet to receive mine, and should I be worried?

You will get more details for sure...as far as where to go and what time to be there. Expect to be there from 8am-5pm on the interview day. The night before we ill be hosting a pizza dinner too. The interview days are Jan 21st, Feb 4th, and Feb 11th. We are super excited to meet all of you! We just started talking about interviews today and then we will know more when the semester starts again on Jan 3rd.

Hi Sarraeo... does it seem that they are finished inviting for interviews??

I just got the same question (unless that was you) but I don't know the answer to that...last year I was invited for an interview on Dec 20th! So I think if they are doing it the same way there is still time. I wouldn't be surprised if the faculty is waiting until finals are done this week to finish up with the process. They have a lot going on and they each read through something like 40 applications at a time so it takes awhile. Hang in there! Usually you get a month's notice at least so if it gets to be Jan 15th then maybe I would start applying to more schools. They will call you for an interview and rejections are in the mail. Hope that helps a little!

anyone know if they are still sending out interview invites? I'm pretty sure I'm checking my email 90 times a day waiting to hear something!

I don't know if they still are but typically you get at least a months notice. They will be at school til Friday so they might be calling more people. If you get invited they call you so there's no point in checking your email...but I know how that goes. Who knows, maybe they will still invite people in Jan?! Hold in there!

Anybody flying in? Where are you staying?

You should have gotten a list of places to stay in your interview packet. If anyone wants a place to stay (one person max) for free you are welcome to find me and my husband on couchsurfing under sarahandjon or send me a personal message...I live very close to school and will be helping out with interviews and the dinner of course (I'm a first year student)! You ma want to consider couchsurfing in general as it is a safe place to find places to stay for free. INterviews are expensive! I couch surfed for some of my interviews...

sarraeo26 - Is the pizza dinner for interviewees a formal event? Were we supposed to receive an invitation for it already via email? Thank you for keeping us informed.

Its totally informal, students only. We're there to answer questions and make you feel comfortable before the interview. You will prob get an email from our president or someone else inviting you to the dinner soon. We have a meeting today and we're discussing interview stuff. Don't worry, you will know whats going on in advance :)

Hi, I am flying in from Orange County for Feb 4th interview. I have already booked a hotel room in Emeryville that provides free shuttle service to anywhere within the 3 mile radius from the hotel. I checked google map and Samuel Merrit is within the radius. If anybody wants to share the room with me and split the cost, PM me. It's a one bedroom suite with two double beds.

I haven't received the interview packet. Who should I contact?

Thats weird...you should call one of these numbers, ask for the PA program, and ask for Pam Harrison. If you got an email from her you can email her too, but I assume you got a phone call to interview.

Telephone 510.869.6511 ·

· Toll Free 800.607.6377 ·

Hi, I am flying in from Orange County for Feb 4th interview. I have already booked a hotel room in Emeryville that provides free shuttle service to anywhere within the 3 mile radius from the hotel. I checked google map and Samuel Merrit is within the radius. If anybody wants to share the room with me and split the cost, PM me. It's a one bedroom suite with two double beds.

Someone PM'd me about hotel information near Sam M. As soon as I hit reply button, there was an error and the message got lost. So I am replying with an answer on this thread.

It's not the most affordable but it's Hyatt Summerfield Suites Emeryville. There is another less expensive hotel in Emeryville - Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge. But not sure if they have shuttle service whereas Hyatt does. If you want a cheaper but new/clean building, Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites OAKLAND-AIRPORT is another option if you don't mind driving to Samuel Merritt from there. If you are not going to have a car, the hotel offers free shuttle which you can take to Oakland BART station. You can get off at MacArthur BART station and walk to Samuel Merritt. However, I wouldn't travel at night via BART at night.

There are a lot of hotel/motels around Sam M. but I compared above places based on my preference. You can go to google map or one of the discount travel deal sites to do your research.

Hope this helps.

I also have a question about the interview packet. Has anyone else received a physical packet of information in the mail? All I received was an email with various links.

A lot of schools just give you the info via email to get to the interview, then they give you a bunch of stuff when you get there. Many schools also seem to do everything paperless (including rejections/acceptances!). As long as you have the info on where to go, where to stay, and when to be there I wouldn't worry about it. I don't remember if SMU actually sent something in the mail for interviews...but they definitely do once you're accepted. Hope that helps a little...

Archived