Yep...

The problem arises when the roles are mixed and the supervision requirements get convoluted.

Ex: A PA/ND or a PA/DC, or a PA/L.A.C... doing allopathic stuff and prescribing allopathic meds/treatments without a MD/DO supervisor.

Or the above PA/ND or a PA/DC, or a PA/L.A.C... rounding in a inpatient Allopathic setting (presumably supervised by a Allopathic or Osteopathic physician in this setting) prescribing/proscribing non-authorized CAM to inpatients.

Simply put... this PA/L.A.C... doing accupucture on a patient in the telemetry unit or the ICU probably won't fly... and cause a bit of a mess because this PA is likely not credentialed by the hospital board to do this on inpatients in this facility and the average SP is not likely to be able to supervise this practice.

Yeah... I've seen both.

I've seen PAs in Alt Med with clearly delineated roles and supervision doing well and I've seen my share of PAs get into a mess by confusing roles and scopes of practice.

I.e... PA/DCs with "Dr." on their labcoats in Primary Care or Ortho Settings being sanctioned by the BOM.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By rickgregory
      OK. So has anyone started the alternative PANRE? It opened yesterday. How was the difficulty of the questions? Similar to PAkRat, the AAPA review book...Harder?
      I took the PANRE 2 times already, it seemed difficult but passed both times. How about the alternative? The no studying thing make me WAY nervous.
      Let's not be specific to what questions...Would not want to mess the pilot up!
    • By fyrelight74
      Have you guys been seeing more and more "alternative" patients coming in with the "I don't believe in medicine, but I will use anything herbal I can find" philosophy?  From the essential oil fascination to the women thinking every symptom they have is because their "hormones are off", despite having normal menses and normal labs.... It's getting frustrating.  When the patients go off on a tangent of their theories, I've gotten to the point I just ask "Ok, so what can I do for you?  You won't take medication, so what do you need me to do for you?"  One lady told me she already knew what was wrong with her (hormones are off balanced, even though my labs are normal), to which I responded "Well, what do you need me for then?"  Ok, rant over... for now.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More