Respiratory Therapy

Guest PaProspectCheck

I was an RRT before PA school. I worked mostly in smaller hospitals doing adult critical care and NICU. There were never a shortage of positions available for new grads. We even ran with traveler therapists for a while cause there was no one available. Some days there were more travelers on than permanent therapists. I don't think it will be hard to find a job...

I think that RT was great experience for PA school. RTs were well represented in our class.

I was a RT for 6 years prior to PA school. I can honestly say it has helped me so much since I have been in school. I understand things that others do not. It is esp helpful considering we are in Respiratory now! =)

It is a great field but I felt like many others did that I just didnt feel that there was much advancement and I wanted to do more. I feel it was a great stepping stone for me.

You shouldnt have a problem finding a job depending on where you are. In bigger cities I dont see it as a problem. But remember you only have a few choices, either hospital, homecare or pulm office. Nursing does have a few more options. But I would suggest researching each field and then do whatever you feel strongly about!

Good luck

In my area it seems that you can sign on as long as you are eligible for the RRT status. Although it is pretty common for them to hold you to obtaining RRT within a certain time frame. In the state of CA the licensing board only gives you the title of Respiratory Care Practitioner. RRT is a national board thing. My hospital only requires CRT for RCP1 and RCP2. Obviously if you were ready to take on more initiative than you would get RRT to escalate. That is just at my hospital, so i hope you are not confused. Check out your state consumer affairs board on what they issue. Personaly I graduated RT advanced school at SJVC in Visalia which means I was RRT eligible from jump. Not all programs make you RRT eligible but it is becoming a new trend. Hope that helps.

As someone who's in RT school right now, this is all very comforting. There are some students from the last graduating class who have stated they are having a hard time finding jobs. I live in Texas and right now there is a mass invasion into the state due to the economy. Has anyone tried going to school full time while also working as a RT full time? Is that overkill?

Apply to the pediatric internship at Childrens. You are pretty much guaranteed a position when you graduate. My friend did the program and started at a little over $24hr.

Guest carolanimal
Apply to the pediatric internship at Childrens. You are pretty much guaranteed a position when you graduate. My friend did the program and started at a little over $24hr.

Hey!!! How's Chicago? When are you finally applying to PA school?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everybody. Loved all the posts but I have a question. I am an RRT of 6 years and am working on my bachelors degree with intent of going to pa school. My question is as a Respiratory Therapist, how well accepted are we when we are applying to pa school? Does it help alot? A little? My bachelors will be in Respiratory Therapy plus some extra sciences and stuff on the side? Do I have any worries getting in with all of this. Any feed back is appreciated

Chris Fisher R.R.T.

Every school is different from what I have gathered. Sounds like your right on the money with the HCE's though. There seems to be a trend in higher GPA's desired and do not confuse that with the minimum required. My best advice is continue to search these forums and attend some informational seminars. Good Luck! I am an RT also looking into PA:):)

• 1 year later...

Archived