2012 Cycle

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone want to share why Stony Brook is their #1? I am applying there but mostly as a "backup." It seems like a unique location and I'm just wondering what the pros are of the program. Their website really takes away from their program looking professional, etc. I'm assuming one reason is that it is public (don't know if that's true) so for NY residents it would be cheaper.

Thanks for your thoughts!

d.jones: If you don't know of any pros for attending this program, then why are you applying? This program enjoys a national reputation for excellence, great location, low student-to-teacher ratio, great student support, and numerous opportunities for challenging rotations. They have been in the game for many years and know how to turn out some of the best PAs in the nation!

Good luck on your future endeavors.

d.jones: If you don't know of any pros for attending this program, then why are you applying? Insinuating that the rest of us are applying simply because of the affordable cost of in-state tuition and not because this program enjoys a national reputation for excellence is downright insulting. I, for one, don't want to be in a program with someone who is just trying "get in" someplace. Do some research and find a program that is a good fit for YOU.

Btw, posting such things to forums using your full name isn't highly recommended. Adcoms frequent these threads too. Good luck on your future endeavors.

mstarks, I appreciate your honesty and candor. However, I think you might have misinterpreted what I said. First, why am I applying to the program? I went through the list of PA programs and narrowed it down to places that I'd enjoy living at, as well as their PANCE pass rates. When I said Stony Brook isn't my #1, I mean that out of the 11 schools I am applying to, it isn't in the top 3 (however, it is in the top 5). Since I live on the West Coast, I am unfamiliar with the location of Stony Brook and also don't have any connections with any alumni, etc. I apologize if I insinuated that everyone who wants to go there is doing it because it is cheap - I should have phrased that better. I am also not just trying to "get in" somewhere as I have worked very hard maintaining a 3.9 GPA with 2000+ hrs healthcare and 1300+ on GRE to put myself in a place where I can get accepted into multiple programs this year.

I appreciate anything else constructive you might have to say.

p.s. d.charles.jones has nothing to do with my real name, it's a friends account.

Just as a matter of information, you should be really careful what you post on these blogs about programs, since programs do monitor what students say about their programs. And furthermore, you should know that Stony Brook is ranked #1 in the northeast and 11th out of 154 programs nationwide. And there is a reason for that.

d.charles.jones,

as far as the location, it is pretty much a faster paced suburbia, probably similar to most suburban areas. there is a mall nearby and plenty of restaurants and places to eat. its ny, so its snowy in the winter and hot in the summer. i'm from long island so thats pretty much the basics. if u can think of anything i may be missing, feel free to ask.

it is ranked one of the best public hospitals and research institutions in the us. many of the faculty are also graduates of the program. as far as cost, even their out of state tuition is cheaper than other programs in state tuition. regarding their website not looking professional, im not sure it is very wise to base a programs professionalism based solely on how nice their website is as long as its content is honest, up to date, and to the point.

other pros- low attrition rate, high PANCE pass rates, low student:teacher ratio, gross anatomy with cadavers.

for me, the only two things that could make this program any better would be if they offered medical spanish, like some other programs do, and more than one elective. oh yeah, and if it was free :=D:

d.charles.jones,

as far as the location, it is pretty much a faster paced suburbia, probably similar to most suburban areas. there is a mall nearby and plenty of restaurants and places to eat. its ny, so its snowy in the winter and hot in the summer. i'm from long island so thats pretty much the basics. if u can think of anything i may be missing, feel free to ask.

it is ranked one of the best public hospitals and research institutions in the us. many of the faculty are also graduates of the program. as far as cost, even their out of state tuition is cheaper than other programs in state tuition. regarding their website not looking professional, im not sure it is very wise to base a programs professionalism based solely on how nice their website is as long as its content is honest, up to date, and to the point.

other pros- low attrition rate, high PANCE pass rates, low student:teacher ratio, gross anatomy with cadavers.

for me, the only two things that could make this program any better would be if they offered medical spanish, like some other programs do, and more than one elective. oh yeah, and if it was free :=D:

Miss Lady,

Thank you so much for your insight, as that was the type of constructive feedback I was initially hoping for. Have a great day and good luck with your acceptance!

Archived