So who does your (annual) evaluation at work?

Would like to get some feedback from others on this site:

Who does your (annual) evaluation at work?

Primary Supervising Physician?

Another Physician/MD?

PA?

Non-clinician (i.e. business administrator/office manager)?

Other?

Who do you think should be doing it?

Who do you think should be doing it?

Personally... it really doesn't matter...

The two people who do my evals gather and "filter" critques from my SPs then add their observations.

It actually works out well since at one of my jobs... the SP listed with the state is a entrenched harridan troll who hasn't practiced any real medicine since the 80's... so I spend a inordinate amount of time there "jousting" with and "jedi mind tricking" her to get things done, so due to her being a passive aggressive hack... if she was doing my evals, I'd never get a "satisfactory." Here my evals are done by the Facility Director who is a BSN. She has a few issues, but for the most part she is a "maternal" influence who is particularly exasperated by the SP. Interestingly enough... even though there are 16 physicians here, the "Medical Director" of this LARGE organization is a Psych Nurse Practitioner.

At the other job... my SP is coool and a great friend/collegue and the director who does my eval is a guy who is reformed stoner who was raised in Hawaii, so he spends every off day playing guitar and every dollar traveling back to Hawaii several times a yr re-living his "surfer dude" days. Funny thing is, I sold him my first house in this town quite a few yrs ago when we upgraded by moving into a 2500sqft larger house adjacent to this one, closer to the water with a attached dock. So now only a dog kennel separates our backyards.

Our set-up is a little strange, as the PA's are hospital employees but the physicians are university employees, which means our SP's cannot be the only person doing our yearly evaluations. It's generally done as a group by the senior PA, the ED business manager and an EM physician who gets feedback from the rest of the attendings. The main input from the business manager is non-clinical (e.g. did you do all of your annual OSHA training, did you show up to work on time, etc), while the PA and physician focus on the clinical aspects.

Archived