New Student Shopping List?

Obviously, every school has different requirements for their students. I'll be starting PA school in the summer and was debating about what I should look into buying other than a stethoscope. Is there anything you started out with that you thought "Man, I'm so happy I have this!" or maybe something you wished you had? Other than a stethoscope, is there anything I should be shopping for?

Also, roommates vs living alone? Advice? Experiences?

Thank you!

• Administrator

Do not buy any medical supplies until you're clear from your school what they will mandate you buy from their supplier.  Lots of folks in my class ended up with two nice stethoscopes.

I was personally glad I bought a MacBook Pro, because almost all of those with Windows laptops had issues sometime during the year.

Get a good smartphone or PDA (don't laugh... I still love my 3rd gen iTouch *because* it doesn't have any camera on it) that will load Medscape (or Epocrates if you have extra money laying around)

Definitely get a copy of Maxwell's.  It's so cheap and small, it works better than any of the competitors for something you can actually fit in your pocket.  I have several other quick references... but they stay in a backpack or on a shelf.

Do not buy any medical supplies until you're clear from your school what they will mandate you buy from their supplier.  Lots of folks in my class ended up with two nice stethoscopes.

<snip>

Definitely get a copy of Maxwell's.  It's so cheap and small, it works better than any of the competitors for something you can actually fit in your pocket.  I have several other quick references... but they stay in a backpack or on a shelf.

We weren't mandated who to buy from, but we did have a mandate on features (and some people already had very nice stethoscopes, gifts usually, that they get to save and use in the future).  I didn't buy anything prior to starting school, and our 'instrument fair'.  We also bought some of our disposable items (gloves, tongue depressors, specula) in bulk (as a class, or as a group) for much cheaper.  

Maxwell's is definitely handy!  I received mine for free with my student membership in AAPA.  

I wanted to get some things before I started school (and went on a strict budget), but I'm glad that I was "forced" to wait -- I only got what I really needed.  Instead of buying things ahead of time, I did put money aside so that I had a 'nest egg' and could splurge on something, or get an essential I didn't plan on (in my case, a good watch). 

+1 on all the "don't buy any medical equipment"

You'll be instructed on what you need by the school. Honestly, the latest greatest stethoscopes are great, but you won't be using it at a level where the features make any difference (at least starting off). It's not worth spending 300 extra dollars to have something for two years, and then decide you want to go into a specialty like derm or psych. I would wait until the school contacts you with a list, and then try to get close to the graduating class. You wouldn't believe what they are willing to pawn off on incoming students.

Get a solid printer if you like to print notes to read. I can't stand looking at a computer screen for 14+ hours a day, so this has been a life saver.

<snip>

Get a solid printer if you like to print notes to read. I can't stand looking at a computer screen for 14+ hours a day, so this has been a life saver.

Or find out if your program includes a printing allowance!  :)  I haven't even unpacked my printer and haven't come close to using up my allotment (included in my program fees) for printing at school.  Just have to remember to print before I leave for the day.  

As far as roommates goes - totally a personal choice.  I know a lot live alone (and it is my preference), some have nonPA roommates, and some have PA classmates as roommates.  It really depends on you.

Some people like having built in friends or study groups, I personally like knowing I can go home and not either A: have roommates who always want to do something and don't understand I need to study or B: classmates who are probably studying WAY more than me which would just stress me out.

Get Dropbox synced across your smartphone/tablet/laptop ASAP! It's $80.00/yr for 2 Terabytes of space. So worth it.

Finish typing a long lecture? Save and throw it in Dropbox. Typing out a study guide/making notes? Save and throw it in drop box.

When my computer died last month, the HD was fried and had I not been getting into the habit of tossing everything in dropbox, i'd have lost everything; it was all there for me, saved my skin!

Your program will probably specify good resources or you will hear about good ones from the class above you. Some of the ones people recommended to me or my program recommended that have been helpful (and I don't believe program specific material wise) are: 

-Resident's Guide for Ambulatory Care --> this one was not recommended by my program, but a student and it has been very helpful

-The Common Symptom Guide

-Harriet Lane Handbook

Depending on your school's access, UpToDate is a really great web resource as well.

Wait on medical equipment. Our program just charged us a fee on top of tuition first semester and each student got a medical bad with stethoscope, otoscope, opthalmascope. Blood pressure cuff with different sizes, tape measure, reflex hammer, goggles, tuning forks, spare ear plugs, a set of scissors, needle drivers, forceps, and a Snelling chart with other common numbers on the back. Our program also provides us with whatever else we need to take home and practice. We got synthetic skin, sutures of different sizes and types, syringes of different sizes with different size needles, sterile gloves, etc. we didn't have to get anything on our own

• 2 weeks later...

Roommates are always hit or miss. Mine was a classmate but she loved using the heater 24/7 even when we were in school for 8+ hours each day and our energy bills skyrocketed. So we had some friction about that. Otherwise it's nice to have a companion if you're in a unfamiliar area.

I used Google Drive  / Google Docs to share/store documents with study buddies. You can edit/comments/chat at the same time.

I didn't use Maxwell until rotations. I got it for free when I joined AAPA during didactic year. Woot!

• 4 weeks later...

Second on the don't buy otoscope or fundoscope. Every clinic I have been in has had their own on the wall and my program lent us a set during didactic year. I used a surface pro during didactic year and was so glad I had it. It was nice to copy over the powerpoint lecture notes and then be able to write on them and draw on them. If you are an apple person then an iPad would be similar. Books really depend on the program and I didn't use too many during my year. I used my smartphone with epocrates and uptodate and sanford antimicrobial mostly. I would hold off and just enjoy your time before pa school starts. 

Archived