NY Palliative Care Act

I just read an article in one of the free journals I receive about the new Palliative Care Information Act passed by NY state this year. After reading that it was only required to be followed by physicians and NP's I pulled up the actual act, and they were correct! The act calls for the "attending health care practitioner" to provide end of life information, and they define an attending health care practitioner as "a physician or nurse practitioner".

This seems to be another example of us being left out of the game when it comes to legislation defining who our health care providers are. Does anyone know of NYSSPA or AAPA was aware of this and fought for our inclusion? It seems like the more laws that define MD/NP as the health care practitioner, the easier it will be to make us a second-tier profession.

http://www.health.state.ny.us/professionals/patients/patient_rights/palliative_care/information_act.htm

Archived