Any ideas if there is a student loan repayment model for places like Palau, Yap?

Pohnpei, Chuck, Kiribati? Or any other assortment of like US territories?

I am curious if there is anything out there for loan repayment for working in really remote settings of the Pacific Islands. I surfed a bit around on the NHSC website and came up empty handed. A bit of googling turned up nothing. Found links for jobs in Iraq, but not quite the same. Does anyone have a positive, working direction they can point me in?

If my wife and I are looking to kill a couple of birds with as few of stones as possible..pay off school, get abroad for a bit, expose the kids to a whole different way of life, maybe do a bit of sailing and diving while working on suntans and doing some remote medicine. All very appealing to us. Any leads?

NHSC mission is to increase health care access in the US

It also includes US territories such as American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, Wake Island, and others. It is very possible to work abroad through NHSC loan repayment.

It also includes US territories such as American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, Wake Island, and others. It is very possible to work abroad through NHSC loan repayment.

I surfed for a bit on NHSC's site and couldn't find any link to show me eligible US territories....I plugged in the zip code for Palau and came up empty as well...I am open to suggestions of where to look if you know of an effective method of finding more info...

Thanks

I surfed for a bit on NHSC's site and couldn't find any link to show me eligible US territories....I plugged in the zip code for Palau and came up empty as well...I am open to suggestions of where to look if you know of an effective method of finding more info...

Thanks

http://nhscjobs.hrsa.gov/Search_HPOL.aspx

That will let you search for vacancies. The "NHSC approved sites" link on that page will let you see all of the currently approved sites in a particular area regardless of vacancies. It looks like regions II and IX include the abroad locations.

They are eligible for the LRP program and scholarship. I worked in the Northern Mariana Islands and got into the LRP program. However, I gave the money back and left the island. When I searched prior to moving I couldn't find any listings on the NHSC website for any of the islands, but they are eligible and there are jobs. I know for sure Saipan needs people badly right now and a friend of mine is in the Marshall Islands and they are looking.

For people who are familiar with the loan repayment program, do they allow you to switch practices so long as you switch to somewhere on their approved list? Like say you go off to some location but after a year can't take living there anymore. Can you move to a new location and still be reimbursed? Or do the 2 or 3 years have to be at the same spot the whole time?

Was it not what you expected?

I was there for a year. Had initially signed a two year contract, but the politics and unstable government financial situation made me decide to leave early. I love working, but I can't do it for free. The island was amazing and I learned alot while I was there.

Archived