Welcome EVMS PA class of 2012

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all

FWIW, I talked to the financial aid office yesterday and they said the packets are complete and will be emailed for our review "very soon."

Has anyone received theirs yet?

Also, I was curious if those on this site and in the new class would like to get together in December sometime and maybe have lunch/dinner? I think it would be nice to meet some of you in a relaxed atmosphere away from campus before the mayhem begins.

I understand many of you will be moving and preparing for school the next several weeks, but I think it would be fun and laid back.

There is a great place called Azar's on the corner of Colley and 21st right down the street from EVMS that has awesome food and drinks.

So what do you all think? You can send me a PM.

Hope all is well.

Guest mattoxbk

Nothing as of yet on the award letter... I don't really like

my chain being yanked here especially bc they told

us the first week on november and it's almost the third

week. I'm also wondering I anyone else is waitig to hear back fro

any hpsp scholarships bc I'm still

waiting to see if I'm getting that too.

Matt ~ I was really looking forward to hearing something too. Today the school is closed b/c of the weather so I'm assuming that we won't hear anything today as well. Rose said the schedules should be out around the first week in December so I'm looking forward to that too so I can set up after school care. Just can't wait to be able to know what's going on.

Tarek ~ I'm in. I think I might be able to talk Janice into coming too.

Hey guys,

I havn't heard anything either. I have employed some deep breathing and other relaxation techniques and that is helping quite a bit. Woosaaaaaaw!

I think I mentioned it before, but I am moving everything in the weekend of Dec. 19th, then my family and I will fly in on the 28th. So, if you do a dinner after the 28th, let me know 'cause my wife and I would love to go.

Be well,

Guest mattoxbk

Hey big t. I talked to Kim yesterday and she said that the office is taking a while to develop the award letters b o the fact that major banking institutions (I.e. Bank of America) are annoucing that they will be ceasing their student loan options for FY10' year. So they are trying to figure out what institutions are going to continue their student loan programs in order to accurately award us with funds that actually exist. So it may be a while...

Hope that helps.

Hey big t. I talked to Kim yesterday and she said that the office is taking a while to develop the award letters b o the fact that major banking institutions (I.e. Bank of America) are annoucing that they will be ceasing their student loan options for FY10' year. So they are trying to figure out what institutions are going to continue their student loan programs in order to accurately award us with funds that actually exist. So it may be a while...

Hope that helps.

GULP!:eek:

Thanks for the update Ben.

Guest snapster15

I second that...... GULP!!!!!!

Maybe I will wait on signing a lease agreement lol. I hope everyone is doing well out there. Have a great Thanksgiving all!!!!!!!

Hey everyone ~ I spoke to the Asst. Financial Aid Director and she told me that I could pass along some information she shared with me. What we are eligible for should be complete and you can call her and find out what you will be awarded. The hold up is on some legislation that determines where the money will come from but it won't affect us actually getting the money that has been determined by our FAFSA. Thank goodness! My mind has been put to rest. If you have questions, give her a call! :D

Hey everyone ~ I spoke to the Asst. Financial Aid Director and she told me that I could pass along some information she shared with me. What we are eligible for should be complete and you can call her and find out what you will be awarded. The hold up is on some legislation that determines where the money will come from but it won't affect us actually getting the money that has been determined by our FAFSA. Thank goodness! My mind has been put to rest. If you have questions, give her a call! :D

Thanks Cindee! That was a huge help.

Well I called right away and got my numbers. I am not that thrilled to be honest. Too little subsidized dollars and not enough total dollars IMHO.

I mean what I made last year really has nothing to do with what I will make this year, since I will have no income after Dec. 31st.

I guess it's all been said before...

I think I was told the award letter money is supposed to be for Jan to Dec. 2010. Did I hear her correctly on that one???

Judging by the provided EVMS Student Budget for 2010 that is not so good for me.:( But at least now I know.

Thanks Cindee! That was a huge help.

Well I called right away and got my numbers. I am not that thrilled to be honest. Too little subsidized dollars and not enough total dollars IMHO.

I mean what I made last year really has nothing to do with what I will make this year, since I will have no income after Dec. 31st.

I guess it's all been said before...

I think I was told the award letter money is supposed to be for Jan to Dec. 2010. Did I hear her correctly on that one???

Judging by the provided EVMS Student Budget for 2010 that is not so good for me.:( But at least now I know.

I agree Tarek. But, at least my schooling will be paid for (borrowed for) until I get out. If I had to come up with money the 2012 class would be one short!

Guest danderson24

I saw a couple of posts on here regarding the HPSP scholarship. Just to let you know, I was accepted for a couple Navy programs (the HPSP and the HSCP) and chose to take the HSCP. Make sure you look into both because I know the HPSP seems great at first but there are some drawbacks. For instance, I don't think it covers your last semester, your time in school doesn't count towards military retirement and you start your service as an O-1 (Ensign). With the HSCP, the Navy doesnt pay any of your tuition or fees but they do pay you E-6 (petty Officer First Class) salary, give you about a $1200 housing allowance and $350 food allowance per month. Also you get medical and dental coverage for you and your dependents. The time in school counts toward graduation and you go in as an O-2 after graduation. You can also be promoted while in school for good grades. PM me if you have any questions, my name is Daniel

Guest danderson24

Oh, and financial aid awards letters are supposed to be emailed out today or tomorrow for everyone according to the office of financial aid.... I spoke with them today.

Thanks Daniel.

On a side note, I wanted to share info about a book I have been reading.

It's called "A Kernel in the Pod: The Adventures of a Midlevel Clinician in a Top-level World" by J. Michael Jones.

He is a PA that graduated in 1981 and this book is about his life as a clinician. I am about a 1/3 of the way through it and I am really enjoying it. It is an easy read and I even laughed out loud a couple of times.

I recommend it to all aspiring PAs. Here is the Amazon link. Check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Kernel-Pod-Adventures-Clinician-Top-level/dp/1401054293/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259085548&sr=8-1

I just checked my email and I see they have sent out award letters. Also, I was mistaken, this award is for Jan to Aug 2010. Now I am relieved.

I hope everyone has a happy and relaxing Turkey Day!

Thanks Daniel.

On a side note, I wanted to share info about a book I have been reading.

It's called "A Kernel in the Pod: The Adventures of a Midlevel Clinician in a Top-level World" by J. Michael Jones.

He is a PA that graduated in 1981 and this book is about his life as a clinician. I am about a 1/3 of the way through it and I am really enjoying it. It is an easy read and I even laughed out loud a couple of times.

I recommend it to all aspiring PAs. Here is the Amazon link. Check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Kernel-Pod-Adventures-Clinician-Top-level/dp/1401054293/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259085548&sr=8-1

I just checked my email and I see they have sent out award letters. Also, I was mistaken, this award is for Jan to Aug 2010. Now I am relieved.

I hope everyone has a happy and relaxing Turkey Day!

Yes happy no turkey day everyone! And good luck with all this paperwork! :-)

Guest snapster15

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I just had a quick question. Does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is going to be? Some of my family want to be there but I wanted to make sure of the date and time before they started buying plane tickets. 5 weeks until we all hop in the trenches. I can not wait to meet everyone and get this adventure started!! Happy holidays. Matt

The white coat ceremony for the class of 2012 will be Friday January 8th at 4pm on McCombs Auditorium (Lewis Hall). It lasts about an hour and then there is a reception after.

Hope that helps!

PA Parish ~ do you know when a schedule will be released? I'm trying to plan for childcare and waiting on the schedule to see what my need will be. Any info. you can offer would be helpful. :-)

Archived