Welcome EVMS PA class of 2012

Ohhh, we have a negotiator on our hands Janice! Matt, do you do yard sales too? Are you a former car salesman? heehee!

I have a 14-soon-to-be-15 yr old daughter!!!!! I win!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha! Just kidding. Yes! I can't wait either! Seriously, Matt, good luck with finding something and the move! :-)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest snapster15

As a matter of fact Cindee I was in pharmaceutical sales for five years, but I had to leave the position because I was too shy and introverted. :rolleyes: So, what is your daughters going rate for babysitting services? I need to work that into my school loans so I can ask for the appropriate amounts from the bank. :)

Janice, I did get the information and called her yesterday. She seems really nice you were right. I think we will get along just fine. :) Thanks for calling. We should definitely get together when I am out there. We may stop in your neighborhood and check out your neighbors house, unless it is way out of our price range. :)

Well, both of you have a great day and I will chat at you soon. Matt

Guest janiceinva

Hey Matt. I was in pharmaceutical sales for seven years as well. I worked for GlaxoSmithKline. Who were you with??? I loved it. When I "retired" I was doing job share and working three days a week, which I loved. I just knew that my position was being done away with so got out early. They have down-sized twice since. That is a tough business to be in right now. My best friend who lives across the street from me is still with GSK and has been on pins and needles twice now and made it through two cuts now she is facing a third. The house next door is listed at $749,000 I think is the last I checked. Call me when you guys are in town and safe travels...

Cindee:

I have not heart anything else about the mentors either. I wonder when they will start contacting us soon. Anyway, let us know if you hear anything!

I certainly will! I just can't wait to get all of these shots finished. My MMR titer showed I'm not immune to Mumps anymore so I have to get them all again and then have another titer done. Of course, the flu shot and then the H1N1 shot. I know they don't have that on the sheet but I'm pretty sure they will require it at some point so I just went ahead and had it. Three shots today, second part of TB test, then onto finish my Hepatitis and MMR. UUUGGGGHHHH! I'm a pin cushion!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest snapster15

Cindee, I feel your pain. I had a blood draw, TB test, and three shots all in about 15 min last week at the Dr's office, but it is all for a good cause. :) I have not heard from mentors either but I wonder if they are waiting till most of our stuff is due and in before they set us up.

Janice, this is starting to get creepy :) I also worked for GSK. I was with them for 4 years and then Forest for 1 year before I decided I wanted to do more for the patients in the offices I was in. I liked the job but in Wyoming where I was a rep it was a lot of travel :( I was gone 4 days a week and had at least 2 hours of driving each day before my first call. 5:30 am to 9:00pm starts to wear on a guy. :rolleyes: Do you happen to know or ever met a rep named Cecillia Newberry? She was a real good friend of mine that I have lost contact with and last I knew she was a rep for GSK around your area I believe. Anyway, it is so amazing how small a world we live in when you start asking people questions lol. Oh and about your neighbors house, if you can talk them down about 500k I would be happy to take a look at it, lol. I cant wait to swap stories with you about the drug rep days it is always fun to hear what other people have to say.

16 weeks till school starts:D Talk to you all soon, Matt

Hello class of 2012, My name is Andy Gray I am the SAAAPA/Class president of MPA2011. Congrats to you all on getting in this program. I have read a lot of your posts and am happy to see that you are all helping each other out, this will be a very helpful tool in the up coming years so keep it up. I will anwser one of your questions, our mentor committiee will be contacting you all via the email that you supplied to Rose that will have a web site address that we have set up for you that will have all kinds of info including some area and houseing info. It will also contain info about what to expect the first few weeks of class etc. You will fill out a survey about yourself so that we can match you up with a buddy/mentor from the class of 2011. Look for this email in the next week or two. for now feel feer to email me at grayac@evms.edu with any burning questions. I will also check back here every once and a while to see whats up. Take care and I look foward to meeting you all in a few months

Andy

Thanks for the information Andy! Are you going on the cruise? And what other activities will be going on that week? I have the Memory Walk on the 11th so I know I won't be able to be there on Saturday but I was planning on trying to get by there during the week if something was going on.

Cindee, The only big things going on that week is Sat. There is an open house for students (class of 2012 encourged to come as well) Parents and familys. It will include a in depth tour and dispalys new buliding as well, A faculty fourm talking about the program what to expect type from all four aspects of the program new students, current students, rotations, and the life after school. There is also a lecture with an open health care forum Sat around lunch time. the Spirit of Norfolk cruise will be from 3:30 till around 6. We might have a brown bag lunch lecturer sometime that week as well TBA. Hope this helps. I will be there for all of the evenst on Sat. looking foward to meeting you soon

Cindee, The only big things going on that week is Sat. There is an open house for students (class of 2012 encourged to come as well) Parents and familys. It will include a in depth tour and dispalys new buliding as well, A faculty fourm talking about the program what to expect type from all four aspects of the program new students, current students, rotations, and the life after school. There is also a lecture with an open health care forum Sat around lunch time. the Spirit of Norfolk cruise will be from 3:30 till around 6. We might have a brown bag lunch lecturer sometime that week as well TBA. Hope this helps. I will be there for all of the evenst on Sat. looking foward to meeting you soon

Wouldn't you know it, the day I can't make it is the day all the good stuff is on! O'well....thanks for letting me know! Looking forward to meeting you as well!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

My name is Kenny. Actually it is John Kenyon, but my mama calls me Kenny so everyone else does too. I am fairly new to the forum and I am part of the class of 2012. I am very excited to be a part of EVMS. A little about myself...

I have a bachelor's in respiratory therapy and have been working critical care for the last 2 1/2 years. I have a background in emergency care and fire fighting.

I am married with 2 boys ages 5 and 3. I am from UTAH! Can you believe I am dragging my family accross country? Actually, they are all very excited to move to Virginia. My son is first year Kindergarten and he will be changing school mid-year. It will be tough, but I know he can handle it. Thank you for the school information.

Unfortunately, we aren't moving out there until the end of Dec. so I will look to the forum to keep updated on what is going on over there. Keep chatting! It is very helpful to me and I hope it is O.K. to use some of the real estate references.

It is soo awesome to be a part of this.

Be well,

Kenny

Hello everyone,

My name is Kenny. Actually it is John Kenyon, but my mama calls me Kenny so everyone else does too. I am fairly new to the forum and I am part of the class of 2012. I am very excited to be a part of EVMS. A little about myself...

I have a bachelor's in respiratory therapy and have been working critical care for the last 2 1/2 years. I have a background in emergency care and fire fighting.

I am married with 2 boys ages 5 and 3. I am from UTAH! Can you believe I am dragging my family accross country? Actually, they are all very excited to move to Virginia. My son is first year Kindergarten and he will be changing school mid-year. It will be tough, but I know he can handle it. Thank you for the school information.

Unfortunately, we aren't moving out there until the end of Dec. so I will look to the forum to keep updated on what is going on over there. Keep chatting! It is very helpful to me and I hope it is O.K. to use some of the real estate references.

It is soo awesome to be a part of this.

Be well,

Kenny

Welcome Kenny and good luck with your move. Let me know if I can answer any questions you may have about Norfolk or the Hampton Roads area.

It's nice to see another 1977 b-day in the class.:D

Hey Jenna,

I'll be there for the tour and talk, but I have an evening wedding to attend so I will be skipping the boat cruise. I have done the Spirit of Norfolk thing before and it is a good time if anybody is curious.

See you there

Tarek

Hey y'all ~ I also will be attending the morning session but not the afternoon forum and the cruise. Like Tarek, it is a lot of fun but I've been a couple of times and want to reserve all the money I can right now! Just wanted to mention too, if you have a Facebook, there is a wall for our class established which has been helpful too. Good luck, Kenny, and everyone else who is moving here! I'll see you too, Jenna, on Saturday. I'm dragging my husband along and he's dreading the tour into the Gross Anatomy Lab. hahaha! I keep reassuring him that the cadavers will not be out but he still doesn't believe me. He thinks I'm trying to trick him into seeing things I think are awesome and he thinks are way out of his realm of "awesome"! Nonetheless, I'm very excited, as I know, I have said many times before!:-D See y'all there!

Tarek ~ we're you at the open house today? I was looking for the people I've seen online and didn't see you. There were a lot of people there so it was probably easy to miss someone. Anyway, it was a great day! It was nice to meet Jenna and a couple of others from the Facebook page too. I am really looking forward to this but I think we are in for it too! :-)

Tarek ~ we're you at the open house today? I was looking for the people I've seen online and didn't see you. There were a lot of people there so it was probably easy to miss someone. Anyway, it was a great day! It was nice to meet Jenna and a couple of others from the Facebook page too. I am really looking forward to this but I think we are in for it too! :-)

Ha! I was there Cindee. I actually walked right by you, but you were engaged in deep conversation with someone and I did not want to be rude.:) I was lookng for you based on your pic here, but I think you changed your hair. Anyway your name tag gave you away. Sorry we didn't get a chance to talk, but I am sure we will have plenty of time for that come next year.

Glad you liked it and yes we are indeed in for it.

Ha! I was there Cindee. I actually walked right by you, but you were engaged in deep conversation with someone and I did not want to be rude.:) I was lookng for you based on your pic here, but I think you changed your hair. Anyway your name tag gave you away. Sorry we didn't get a chance to talk, but I am sure we will have plenty of time for that come next year.

Glad you liked it and yes we are indeed in for it.

Yes, I did change my hair. I had a lot of it cut for the interview, you know, to look "more professional". :-) And during times of stress it always grows brown for some reason - or I don't have time to go to my hairstylest! :-) But, sorry I didn't see you. I was trying to meet everyone I could recognize from online. I agree, lots of time to come! :-)

Hey guys,

Just looking online at potential homes to buy in Norfolk and I want to avoid areas that should be avoided. I hear the "Park Place" neigborhood isn't that desireable? Where should I be looking?:confused:

If anyone has specifics on neigborhoods to watch for, I would really appreciate it.:D

Saturday sounds like it was fun. Wish I was there.

Be well,:)

Kenny

P.S. I hope I didn't go overboard on the smilies, but they are kind of fun.

I opted to rent instead of buy in case I decide not to stay in Norfolk after graduation.

Nancy Chandler seems to represent a lot of the rental homes in the area... and homes for sale:

http://www.nancychandler.com/

If you have to move, I would highly recommend moving close enough to be able to walk or bike to school. I rented a house in "Ghent" on Shirley Avenue and walk to school in less than 10 minutes. There is a Harris Teeter just two blocks away, Rite Aid, a nice restaurant variety...MacArthur mall is just over a mile away....etc..etc...

Whether you rent or buy, you should find lots of options at the NancyChandler website above....I think searching on the "Ghent" neighborhood is the best option. You do want to be careful about some of the other neighborhoods here in Norfolk.

Regards

Gary

I opted to rent instead of buy in case I decide not to stay in Norfolk after graduation.

Nancy Chandler seems to represent a lot of the rental homes in the area... and homes for sale:

http://www.nancychandler.com/

If you have to move, I would highly recommend moving close enough to be able to walk or bike to school. I rented a house in "Ghent" on Shirley Avenue and walk to school in less than 10 minutes. There is a Harris Teeter just two blocks away, Rite Aid, a nice restaurant variety...MacArthur mall is just over a mile away....etc..etc...

Whether you rent or buy, you should find lots of options at the NancyChandler website above....I think searching on the "Ghent" neighborhood is the best option. You do want to be careful about some of the other neighborhoods here in Norfolk.

Regards

Gary

Good choice Gary. My ex from undergrad lived on Shirley ave. and it's nice. Although parking is not so fun.

Kenny: yeah no Park Place. Avoid at all costs as it is not a safe neighborhood.

Guest mattoxbk

Hey Everyone!

I guess I am a little late getting on these forums, but I wanted to introduce myself anyway... I am Benjamin Mattox 22yom from Richmond, VA. I went to VCU and I am extremely excited to come to EVMS. I hope everyone is doing well and resting well before the program begins in Jan. Quick question - Does anyone know the date of orientation?

Thanks!

Whats up Tarek!

Ben

Archived