Welcome EVMS PA class of 2012

I received a call from Rose this afternoon and she informed me I have been accepted to the program. :)

Oh happy day!! I have waited for that phone call for so long. I just wanted to start this thread so the new class could start to meet each other. I am so excited to spend the next 27 months together and I look forward to getting to know all of you.

I guess I will go ahead and introduce myself to everyone.

Tarek Kandil

31 years old from Norfolk, Va.

I have no children yet, but a really supportive fiance who is a RN at a local children's hospital.

I have worked on a proteomics research project involving early detection of cancer for the last 8 years or so.

I posted this in another thread, but I will answer any questions about Norfolk as best I can so fire away.

Congrats to the others that also received or will receive the most wonderful phone call of my life.

Tarek

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest danderson24

Hello all. I also recieved the call this morning so I will follow here and introduce myself. My name is Daniel Anderson from Atlanta, GA. I graduated with a BS in Neuro Bio from Georgia State Unuversity December of 2008 and am excited to embark on this Masters degree. I completed a two year research project in Biochem on Streptococcus pyogenes (a bacteria) and have worked through college at a pharmacy and a urology surgical center.

Since I will be relocating, any help with looking for a place to live is always appreciated and am interested in possible roommates. I'm 23 years old, neat, quite, and I think a good person to share a living space with. All the best to everyone, and thank you Tarek for starting the thread.

Congrats to everyone. I also heard about my spot in the class yesterday. To introduce myself:

Name: Chad Muntzinger

23 years old from Ohio (go buckeyes...yes I will be the loud and proud OSU fan)

undergrad degree in Exercise Science from Ohio State

some experience in a Phase I and Phase II Cardiac Rehab. Center

Just like Dan, I am going to need some advice on what apartments to look at when I come to look for housing.

Can't wait to meet everyone.

Thanks Dr. Parish!:D

Congrats Daniel and Chad. Great job!

If you are looking for housing, I suggest starting with Craigslist Hampton Roads under apts/housing.

If I were you I would really restrict myself to Norfolk. The other cities (Va. Beach, Chesapeake, Hampton, etc.) are relatively close as far as geography, but your life will just be easier the closer you are to EVMS. Trust me on this one gentlemen...traffic during the morning/evening commute is frustrating at best. Plus the areas directly around the medical school are superb and you are more likely to spend extra hours in the gross anatomy lab the closer you live to campus.:)

If you find something decent, send me a PM and I will give you my opinion.

Norfolk is a strange city. There can be really great places to live right next to less than desirable areas. I was talking with a buddy of mine, who is a real estate agent in Norfolk, and he says that it almost varies from street to street and I really have to agree.

Hi Everybody!

I heard from Rose yesterday! I am so excited that I can barely stop thinking about it! My name is Jenna. I'm 25. I'm married to my awesome husband, Jon (It'll be a year in October). We don't have any kids yet- school first for me! I finished my undergrad in Neuroscience with a minor in Dance at William and Mary. Since then I've been working various medically-related jobs including my current job as an emergency room scribe at a local hospital.

Like Tarek, I am also from the area. I love Norfolk and the surrounding cities. My husband and I are looking for a new place to live and we are thinking more on the Virginia Beach side because we LOVE the ocean. We'll see! I can try to answer any questions about the area as well.

I can't wait to meet everyone! I want to go to school and buy a T-Shirt right now! The past 24 hours have been the happiest of my entire life. YAY!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations to all of you who were accepted!

Glad to see that you are organizing a bit on this site and sharing information.

The current first year class (Class of 2011) will be in touch with you shortly as well, with information about the program, area, and will assign a "buddy" from their class to each of you.

All the best,

Dr. P

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone and Congratulations!

I'm Cindee Hawkins and live in Chesapeake which is near Norfolk. I've been a stay-at-home Mom for 15 years but have worked for Doctors before children and in the OR after. My undergrad is in Biology and I had to repeat all my prereqs. b/c they were too old! I just turned 40 on the 6th so this is a long awaited present to myself!!! This PA program has been in the making for me since EVMS first began its program. (I applied and then they postponed the program and then I started a family). I'm extremely excited about this and can't wait to begin a career that I have waited so long for! If I can help anyone with information about this area, I will certainly try. Once again, congratulations everyone!

Hi Jenna ~ I just wanted to let you know in case you haven't gotten your t-shirt yet that the Bookstore Manager told me that they will no longer carry apparel. So, if you haven't gotten one yet, get over there soon. Rose called on Wednesday and I went over on Thursday! :-) I'd been waiting a long time for that moment too!

Guest snapster15

Hello Everyone, I am also a member of the new class! Here is a quick bio ( I don't want to bore you too much ) My name is Matt Strand I am 32 and from the lovely but often forgotten about state of Wyoming. I am currently living in Minnesota with my wife and two children, while I was taking classes to get into PA school. I am so excited and feel incredibly blessed to be a part of EVMS. I can not wait to meet all of you and embark on this wonderful journey together. Congratulations to everyone and I will see you all soon. Matt

Awesome Matt! Congrats! I knew you would get in.

Where in Minnesota are you now? My fiance is from St. Paul and I have a good friend from Hibbing.

I guess we'll have to deal with the whole Wyoming thing...Ha!:rolleyes: :D

Could you possibly be a Denver Broncos fan? Because I am a die-hard. I know, I am from Va and I root for a team from Colorado.

Talk to you soon

Tarek

Guest snapster15

Tarek, I am a huge Bronco fan! It is going to be a tough year to admit it but gotta stick with my broncs :) I was living in the twin cities but have moved out about 60 miles west now to save money for Jan. I loved my time in the cities, your wife is from a great place. Question for you, you said you had a friend in real estate. Would he be interested in a new client that is coming to possibly buy a house in the VA beach area in late Sept. If you think he would be a good agent to use I would sure love his info. Well thanks in advance for the info and GO BRONCOS!!!

Matt

Would he be interested in a new client that is coming to possibly buy a house in the VA beach area in late Sept. Matt

Hi Matt! My friend lives in Va Beach and also got in the program and she complains about the commute. Please try to check that out before you decide. Ghent, in Norfolk, is very nice and very close to the school but you may need to check out the schools there. The alternatives are Great Bridge in Chesapeake or Western Branch in Chesapeake. Either of those have really good schools but the communte involves the tunnel. I come from Western Branch and it takes me about 20-25 minutes to get to Norfolk in the morning. But my friend in Va Beach says it takes her around 45 minutes. Of course, that depends on how close you are to the Oceanfront. Hope that helps and congratulations!

I second what Cindee wrote. I suggest living as close to EVMS as possible. However, houses in Ghent can be expensive. But of course that is all relative.

Unfortunately, my buddy is no longer in the real estate biz because of the housing market. I will try and ask some friends that could recommend a good realtor though.

Generally, schools in Va. Beach and Chesapeake are better than Norfolk, but there are still decent public schools in that city.

Good Luck

T-

Guest snapster15

Cindee and Tarek,

Thanks a lot guys for the information. I am trying to find a nice place for my family to live and it seemed most people while I was there recommended VA beach. It is good to hear that there are other options. I know I want to stay east of the tunnels, safe area for kids, and the house needs to be in our price range of coarse. I think I just need to get a Realtor and have them show me all around for a few days when I get there. So yeah if you guys know of anyone please let me know. Talk to you soon and thanks again for the help :) Matt

So yeah if you guys know of anyone please let me know.

Matt,

My neighbor down the street is an agent and has been one for probably 30 years or so. She is very good at what she does. Her name is Henrietta Ancheta and her email is: hancheta@gsh.com / number: 757-439-2909. If you have found someone else no problem. But, if you haven't she is awesome. Hope that helps! :-)

Guest janiceinva

Hello everyone. I am so excited to be a part of the class of 2012. My name is Janice and I am the friend Cindee is talking about from above that lives in Virginia Beach and will be commuting in to EVMS. Matt...Cindee is right, the commute does stink; however, I have to say it is worth every minute to have my kids in one of the best schools in the entire area. I have a son in his first year (Kindergarten) and have already fallen in love with the school and all of the faculty. Seeing my son walk into his new school every morning this week with a smile on his face is well worth the commute into Norfolk. I don't know much about the schools in Norfolk. We bought our current house to specifically be in this school district. If you have any questions about Virginia Beach schools, let me know. I have friends in almost every school district in the city. :-) Anyway, I am so excited for all of you and cannot wait until January the 4th to start our AMAZING journey together. (I'm not so much looking forward to Monday getting all of my shots, though) HaHa...take care everyone..see you soon.

Janice

Guest snapster15

Thanks a lot Cindee I will give her a call for sure. It is so hard to look at houses online and get any idea what I am looking at, so your neighbor will be a big help for me. :)

Janice, thanks to you as well. I have heard the schools in VA beach are better so that is why I started to look in that area. I totally agree, the commute may stink but since I wont be around a lot I want my daughter to have good schools nearby. So my wife will have one less worry when the time comes. :) If you don't mind me asking, what school is it that your son goes to? It may help if the agent wants me to narrow down my search a bit. Thanks again everyone for the help you guys are the best! Matt

Guest janiceinva

Hey Matt,

We are in the Great Neck school district. The schools are John B. Dey ES, Great Neck Middle School, and Cox HS. If your wife has any questions about any of the school districts when you guys start looking, please have her call me. I am more than happy to help. (757-287-8071). My cousin is a real estate agent in this area with a company called William E.Wood Realtors and she has been doing real estate for over 25 years. She's really great!!! We are about 2 miles from the Oceanfront as the crow flies and the same for the bay. We are also near Seashore State Park, which the kids absolutely love to go hiking in....

There are definitely areas of Virginia Beach to try and stay away from...so call if you need anything. I know how your wife feels...the most important thing is having your children feel safe and happy..especially in school. Take care and talk with you soon!!

Janice

Guest janiceinva

By the way, Matt...the house next door to us is for sale...our neighbors had to move to Pennsylvania...maybe you guys could move next door and we could carpool..:)

By the way, Matt...the house next door to us is for sale...our neighbors had to move to Pennsylvania...maybe you guys could move next door and we could carpool..:)

OOOHHH!! I'm catching on....Conspiring to have neighbors to move in to carpool....hahaha! Hey does anyone want to move to Western Branch in Chesapeake??? Schools are also very good here and we're in between the beach and Busch Gardens where your wife would love to take your children (or your husband) while you are hard at work at school.

haha! I see how this works! Janice, if you would just move back to where you're from you could carpool with me! :-)

Guest snapster15

Hey, this is good, lets see how high we can get the bidding. :) Let's see you both have good schools, friends in real estate, multiple family activities close by, carpool opportunities, and your both really nice. Hmmmm this is a tough choice.........but........ok, I need a tie breaker. Do either one of you have reliable babysitters nearby so the adults can go enjoy some time together every once in awhile? Of coarse that is assuming we have any time once school starts. :) I can't wait to meet you both soon. Talk to you later, Matt

Archived