Letter of Intent - Opinions and Etiquette?

So after an interview, a friend of mine says he sends out letters of intent to the admissions board. I'm always afraid to do so because I'm not 100% sure where I want to go yet, but I would like to send out letters of intent to a few schools I have seen because I was extremely impressed with their programs.

Has anyone had any experience or opinions of sending out letter of intents? How should I word them, and what should I say? Does it even matter in the end? 

Thanks in advance!

I can't see sending a letter of intent, and certainly not more than one!

From what I have seen working on admission committees, we assume that everyone who visited is considering the school. they often put students into bins -- admit, wait list, or reject. That someone says that they really want to come here doesn't seem to be an issue.

Until you have an acceptance in hand, schools have the upper hand.  They know how competitive PA school is.  You saying that you really, really want to go there and would promise to do so if they accept you is not going to sway them.  Schools interview roughly 4 people per available seat and have applications many times greater than that.  If you're good enough, they will offer you a seat.  If you don't make the cut, they won't.  Every candidate is replaceable by a long list of hopeful students.

Don't send a letter of intent.  At best it will go in the trash, at worst it could make it look like you think you deserve special protocol.

• 2 weeks later...

Letters of intent/interest (LOI) are common in medical school admissions. Many people believe that med schools don't put much stock in them because so many applicants send them willy-nilly just because they want to get in anywhere. Some medical schools encourage waitlisted students to send LOIs, some say don't bother. It just depends. 

I'm just n=1 but I sent a LOI to my top choice program after my interview and was admitted. So in my case it didn't hurt me (enough for them to reject me, at least), but also have no idea whether the letter had any impact on their decision. 

Am I the type of person to fight for myself because I assume no one else is? Yes. Meh, I mean people can call me neurotic or annoying or overzealous or whatever, but I have no regrets. 

edit: forgot, but I recently spoke with a PA I work with who also does interviews for the PA program he went to. He told me that his program liked stuff like LOIs. So, there's at least one school out there who appreciates them?

• Administrator

I integrated mine into my thank-you note: after interviewing at the program I ultimately went to, I thanked the program and the faculty I talked to by name, stated a few things I really liked about the program, and highlighted why I thought, based on my interview experience, I would be a good match for their program and vice versa.  No BS involved, I really did have a great experience and was 100% telling the truth... while also selling myself a bit one last time.

They offered me straight-up, no wait list.

Archived