Physician Assistants in China

Greetings,

I am an American Physician Assistant, currently contracted with a major teaching hospital in China. In collaboration with the hospital, I received special permission to practice, so as to demonstrate my profession to the country of China. In addition, I have been asked to help develop a Physician Assistant program as well. I have been here three months already, and it's been a crazy adventure. I have considered starting my blog here if there are enough interested readers. Take care.

Keith Rouleau, PA-C

Greetings,

I am an American Physician Assistant, currently contracted with a major teaching hospital in China. In collaboration with the hospital, I received special permission to practice, so as to demonstrate my profession to the country of China. In addition, I have been asked to help develop a Physician Assistant program as well. I have been here three months already, and it's been a crazy adventure. I have considered starting my blog here if there are enough interested readers. Take care.

Keith Rouleau, PA-C

• 1 month later...

Hello Keith,

So glad to see your post! I haven't come to this forum since school started... May I ask which hospital are you practicing? I am a native of China, and is now a first year PA student here in US. I planned to stay and practice in US when I applied PA school last year. But since my boyfriend found a job in Shanghai earlier this year, and has just left US for his new job there (US law firm, Shanghai office), I am now thinking of doing a rotation in Shanghai and maybe work there after I graduate. So we should definitely talk! Here is my email: shuhua_du@gmail.com I am going back to China this December for Christmas, so maybe we can even meet! Haha, I am getting so excited by your post :) Anyway, looking forward to hearing from you, hope everything is going on well for you in China! Take care.

Shuhua(Eve) Du

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

For people who are interested, I am doing a clinical rotation in Shanghai United Family Hospital in December. Their website: http://shanghai.ufh.com.cn/en/

I will be working with a US trained MD in the ER for this rotation. There is no problem of setting up a rotation there as a student, but they told me that there will be legal/paperwork problems if I want to work there permanently as a PA, because PA is not a recognized "licensed profession" in China.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Eve, so nice to see someone from China got in PA program. I am from China too and have been living in US for 6 years. I'm planning to apply for 2014 PA class. But I have a Chinese literature major as a Bachelor's degree with very low overvall GPA after ECE evaluated. I had two years medical assistant program in US with overall GPA 3.9 and I'm taking pre-reqs now. I am so confused about the GAP calculation and wonder if you or anybody can help me with some questions. Did you get your bachelor degree from China or US? Do you know if the PA schools or CASPA calculate any foreign course GPA? I checked CASPA website and read something like they don't calculate any professional and foreign course GPA? The foreign course means any courses taken outside. My Bachelor degree overall GPA is very low. If they calculate my bachelor GPA I will be pretty much dead even before the application process. But I just calculated my GPA per CASPA's rule and combined my BA,2-year medical assistant. It's about 2.77. I may take more courses that recommended but not required like genetics, immunology,sociaology to see if these recommended courses can bring up my GPA. Anybody any advice will be very appreciated!!!!!!!Thank you

Hi Eve, so nice to see someone from China got in PA program. I am from China too and have been living in US for 6 years. I'm planning to apply for 2014 PA class. But I have a Chinese literature major as a Bachelor's degree with very low overvall GPA after ECE evaluated. I had two years medical assistant program in US with overall GPA 3.9 and I'm taking pre-reqs now. I am so confused about the GAP calculation and wonder if you or anybody can help me with some questions. Did you get your bachelor degree from China or US? Do you know if the PA schools or CASPA calculate any foreign course GPA? I checked CASPA website and read something like they don't calculate any professional and foreign course GPA? The foreign course means any courses taken outside. My Bachelor degree overall GPA is very low. If they calculate my bachelor GPA I will be pretty much dead even before the application process. But I just calculated my GPA per CASPA's rule and combined my BA,2-year medical assistant. It's about 2.77. I may take more courses that recommended but not required like genetics, immunology,sociaology to see if these recommended courses can bring up my GPA. Anybody any advice will be very appreciated!!!!!!!Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sijia,

I sent your a private message.

• 2 months later...

Hi Keath,

Just came across your post dated July 16, 2011. I am a US trained PA-C, Chinese ethnic and speaks fluent Mandarin. I also have academic experience establishing a PA Program (Pacific University) from conception phase, curricurum design, faculty recruiting, to enrollment and accredidation stage.

Feel free to contact me at vyoong@comcast.net should you need further help.

Vee S Yoong, PA-C, Ph.D.

Olympia, WA

• 2 months later...
  • 8 years later...

Hello All, 

I just came across this thread, (I know 2021), and am curious about PA work in China. My husband is Chinese and we have plans to China in the next few years. We both currently are in the US. I am interested in changing my career and believe I would be a great PA; however, it wouldn't make much sense for me to go get three years of education (minimum) to then move to China where I cannot work as a PA. 

Does anyone here have familiarity with China's health industry specifically when it comes to hiring foreigners? Also any info on what options there are in general for an American PA to work in China are much appreciated?

Thank you for your thoughts,

Eric

I am waiting for someone with more current information to chime in, but historically the American-trained Physician Assistant was not recognized in China. I would do a lot of research into it first. We had a house guest for 3 years from China, doing her nursing studies in the US. She had planned on staying here but then love pulled her back to China. I know that her transition to Chinese nursing after training here was easy. But the PA role is another matter. I lived overseas in the 80s-90s and the PA profession was not recognized in most places I live. 

• 9 months later...
On 6/3/2012 at 8:24 AM, eve_du said:

For people who are interested, I am doing a clinical rotation in Shanghai United Family Hospital in December. Their website: http://shanghai.ufh.com.cn/en/

I will be working with a US trained MD in the ER for this rotation. There is no problem of setting up a rotation there as a student, but they told me that there will be legal/paperwork problems if I want to work there permanently as a PA, because PA is not a recognized "licensed profession" in China.

Hi Eve! I am a student in American studying PA program, and I wanted to work in china, how would I do that? Do I need to study again in china? Do you mind telling me more information if you don't mind