First draft... thoughts?

Hi all- this is a first draft, is over character limits, and has not been proofread at all. I am just wanting thoughts on it- does it "show my motivation towards the PA profession?" Being in my 30's and having had a very full life, there is so much I can write about, it won't all fit and it has been hard for me to narrow it down to the most poignant parts... Thanks in advance for any feedback!

"You have ruined you life." With that, my father left the room leaving me to ponder over the best decision for a 14 year old girl and the child she carried. His perfect little girl with perfect grades, and grand ambitions had fallen from grace and he would not speak to me again for years. Many things led to that day, the most pivotal of my life. Weeks later I sat in an abortion clinic and for the first time the people around me were not trying to make any decisions for me; they were providing me with information, empowering me to make my own decision. Science had always attracted me, and I was already working towards becoming Dr. McGuire one day, taking Latin, medical history, and being active in my high school's Health Occupation Students of America (HOSA) chapter, and volunteering in labor and delivery and neonatal intensive care to prepare. Now the most monumental decision of my life was not so much about me. I was alone in making this decision, with only a brief few moments with my health care team every few weeks for information, guidance and support. Nearly 16 years later I look back and recognize that the care I received during my pregnancy and birth of my son altered the path I would take while it both solidified a desire to work as a provider and giving me insight into what impact such people gave on the patients they see.

A very close second love of mine has always been foreign languages and cultures, and joining the U.S. Navy afforded me an opportunity to work as a Russian linguist, earn the GI Bill to pay for more college later and live in England where I was a patient in the National Health Service (NHS), the social medicine system of the U.K. I met and married my husband, had my second child at home with midwives after seeing a private practice doctor. I found my self initially anxious as a patient in a system with which I was heretofore unfamiliar. Toward the end of the pregnancy I began working in the NHS clinic on the base and became more at ease with the system. But, the midwives must be recognized as the providers that reminded me how much I loved and missed science and medicine. Once again, I was empowered by people, part of a team of health care workers, who truly listened to me, answered questions providing information both for and against any tests or procedures, so that my husband and I could make our personal decision an informed one. While I truly still loved working with the Russian language, I never again felt my passion for and desire to work in health care dim. I knew I wanted to and could do for others what my providers had done for me.

I received an honorable discharge from the Navy and followed my husband, a 1st Battalion Light Infantry soldier in the British Army to Germany, where we were seen in the medical system of Germany, also a good experience. Later he left the Army and we returned to the USA. Continuing my education was a priority for us both, but with five children, we just couldn't see how to do it formally. However, I took a class through the International Association of Infant Massage in Germany and taught this to local parents where ever I lived, showing parents the benefits of touch, massage, listening to their babies and their own needs. I worked for a short time as a peer breast feeding counselor for WIC in Tennessee, before they lost funding for three of us. In Seattle I took the doula training course offered by the Association of Labor Assistants and Childbirth Educators (ALACE) where I learned much about assisting laboring women be it at home or in the hospital or birth center. I have been honored by the invitation to be a doula at several births and one of the most rewarding parts o the experience was being able to be an integral part of the team of nurses, doctors, nurse midwives, that cared for the woman and baby. I was able to not only help mom through difficult contractions and with position changes and relaxation, but also to help in effective and timely communication between the mom and the rest of her caregivers. I also included the mother's husband or partner and helped this trusted person be able to better support his or her loved one through labor and postnataly as well. These experiences were amazing, I never felt fully actualized and made this made me even more sure that I wanted to provide care in broader scope. But, I still could not find a way to resume formal schooling.

Then the economy collapsed, and I lost my job. It was a blessing not long disguised. I was able to use my GI Bill to return to school, making the best decision for the future of my entire family- the Stacey team, which is what we would have to work hard at remaining in order to be successful in this endeavor.

As a child I had wanted to be a doctor. I knew only of doctors and nurses, unaware of health care being a system or that it consisted of teams of any kind. Now, I found myself in a strange place. More recent exposure to the health care in the USA had made me aware of the profession Physician Assistant. With much introspection I realized I can provide excellent care for my patients and have the time to continue to be active in my family life as well. Balance is important and though I am very capable of functioning well autonomously, as proven by a tough childhood and independently overcoming many obstacles, barriers, and stereotypes as a teenager, I love being part of a team. The Navy first showed me this and now I experience the joy (and challenges) of teamwork every day at home. An insatiable thirst for knowledge, passion for being the best that I can be, and recognizing that almost always means functioning collaboratively with others has led me to the PA field. I am excited to empower patients as part of the patient-PA-physician team, and thrilled that there will always be so much more to learn from the many other members of the healthcare team as a PA.

Hi all- this is a first draft, is over character limits, and has not been proofread at all. I am just wanting thoughts on it- does it "show my motivation towards the PA profession?" Being in my 30's and having had a very full life, there is so much I can write about, it won't all fit and it has been hard for me to narrow it down to the most poignant parts... Thanks in advance for any feedback!

"You have ruined you life." With that, my father left the room leaving me to ponder over the best decision for a 14 year old girl and the child she carried. His perfect little girl with perfect grades, and grand ambitions had fallen from grace and he would not speak to me again for years. Many things led to that day, the most pivotal of my life. Weeks later I sat in an abortion clinic and for the first time the people around me were not trying to make any decisions for me; they were providing me with information, empowering me to make my own decision. Science had always attracted me, and I was already working towards becoming Dr. McGuire one day, taking Latin, medical history, and being active in my high school's Health Occupation Students of America (HOSA) chapter, and volunteering in labor and delivery and neonatal intensive care to prepare. Now the most monumental decision of my life was not so much about me. I was alone in making this decision, with only a brief few moments with my health care team every few weeks for information, guidance and support. Nearly 16 years later I look back and recognize that the care I received during my pregnancy and birth of my son altered the path I would take while it both solidified a desire to work as a provider and giving me insight into what impact such people gave on the patients they see.

A very close second love of mine has always been foreign languages and cultures, and joining the U.S. Navy afforded me an opportunity to work as a Russian linguist, earn the GI Bill to pay for more college later and live in England where I was a patient in the National Health Service (NHS), the social medicine system of the U.K. I met and married my husband, had my second child at home with midwives after seeing a private practice doctor. I found my self initially anxious as a patient in a system with which I was heretofore unfamiliar. Toward the end of the pregnancy I began working in the NHS clinic on the base and became more at ease with the system. But, the midwives must be recognized as the providers that reminded me how much I loved and missed science and medicine. Once again, I was empowered by people, part of a team of health care workers, who truly listened to me, answered questions providing information both for and against any tests or procedures, so that my husband and I could make our personal decision an informed one. While I truly still loved working with the Russian language, I never again felt my passion for and desire to work in health care dim. I knew I wanted to and could do for others what my providers had done for me.

I received an honorable discharge from the Navy and followed my husband, a 1st Battalion Light Infantry soldier in the British Army to Germany, where we were seen in the medical system of Germany, also a good experience. Later he left the Army and we returned to the USA. Continuing my education was a priority for us both, but with five children, we just couldn't see how to do it formally. However, I took a class through the International Association of Infant Massage in Germany and taught this to local parents where ever I lived, showing parents the benefits of touch, massage, listening to their babies and their own needs. I worked for a short time as a peer breast feeding counselor for WIC in Tennessee, before they lost funding for three of us. In Seattle I took the doula training course offered by the Association of Labor Assistants and Childbirth Educators (ALACE) where I learned much about assisting laboring women be it at home or in the hospital or birth center. I have been honored by the invitation to be a doula at several births and one of the most rewarding parts o the experience was being able to be an integral part of the team of nurses, doctors, nurse midwives, that cared for the woman and baby. I was able to not only help mom through difficult contractions and with position changes and relaxation, but also to help in effective and timely communication between the mom and the rest of her caregivers. I also included the mother's husband or partner and helped this trusted person be able to better support his or her loved one through labor and postnataly as well. These experiences were amazing, I never felt fully actualized and made this made me even more sure that I wanted to provide care in broader scope. But, I still could not find a way to resume formal schooling.

Then the economy collapsed, and I lost my job. It was a blessing not long disguised. I was able to use my GI Bill to return to school, making the best decision for the future of my entire family- the Stacey team, which is what we would have to work hard at remaining in order to be successful in this endeavor.

As a child I had wanted to be a doctor. I knew only of doctors and nurses, unaware of health care being a system or that it consisted of teams of any kind. Now, I found myself in a strange place. More recent exposure to the health care in the USA had made me aware of the profession Physician Assistant. With much introspection I realized I can provide excellent care for my patients and have the time to continue to be active in my family life as well. Balance is important and though I am very capable of functioning well autonomously, as proven by a tough childhood and independently overcoming many obstacles, barriers, and stereotypes as a teenager, I love being part of a team. The Navy first showed me this and now I experience the joy (and challenges) of teamwork every day at home. An insatiable thirst for knowledge, passion for being the best that I can be, and recognizing that almost always means functioning collaboratively with others has led me to the PA field. I am excited to empower patients as part of the patient-PA-physician team, and thrilled that there will always be so much more to learn from the many other members of the healthcare team as a PA.

I find this a tough one to dissect. So many thoughts I had from reading it, just like you must have while writing it. I'm impressed with your tenacity at overcoming adversity and having some pretty deep emotional life experiences but at the same time I wonder if it's too much...it's a very personal story and compelling but doesn't speak much on your understanding of the PA profession.

If you were applying for a Doula job or some sort of birthing coach or early infant care specialty, I could see viable pieces in your write up. But the vast majority of your statement is about your experience out of country or about your triumphs/struggles as a mother. I get it, it's a personal statement, doesn't get much more personal that what you wrote. But perhaps turning down the spot light on some of the struggles of "what decision to make" and turn up the spot light on your experiences with PAs. I understand you want to be a PA because of the balance of life and all that jazz..makes perfect sense. But there are about a bazillion jobs out there that can give you a good education/career in medicine that are shorter than med school. Why pick the PA route? With your history of infant/mother care, someone may ask why not NP program? Or holistic medicine?

I think it's going to be a very difficult statement to write with such a deep background. Good luck

I find this a tough one to dissect. So many thoughts I had from reading it, just like you must have while writing it. I'm impressed with your tenacity at overcoming adversity and having some pretty deep emotional life experiences but at the same time I wonder if it's too much...it's a very personal story and compelling but doesn't speak much on your understanding of the PA profession.

If you were applying for a Doula job or some sort of birthing coach or early infant care specialty, I could see viable pieces in your write up. But the vast majority of your statement is about your experience out of country or about your triumphs/struggles as a mother. I get it, it's a personal statement, doesn't get much more personal that what you wrote. But perhaps turning down the spot light on some of the struggles of "what decision to make" and turn up the spot light on your experiences with PAs. I understand you want to be a PA because of the balance of life and all that jazz..makes perfect sense. But there are about a bazillion jobs out there that can give you a good education/career in medicine that are shorter than med school. Why pick the PA route? With your history of infant/mother care, someone may ask why not NP program? Or holistic medicine?

I think it's going to be a very difficult statement to write with such a deep background. Good luck

Yes, I felt this as well and thanks for your feedback. There just isn't enough space, lol. I am torn as the promt is "Please describe your motivation towards becoming a PA. " I wanted to be sure I focus on that and my journey to where I am, but am not sure the best way to also show that I know what it is to be a PA. Sure, i have shadowed, but have not had any 'epiphany take your breath away moments" from it. It basically confirmed what I already knew. I learned a few more things, sure, but not anything integral. Sigh.. this is def the hardest part of the application! Thanks again Steve!

Yes, I felt this as well and thanks for your feedback. There just isn't enough space, lol. I am torn as the promt is "Please describe your motivation towards becoming a PA. " I wanted to be sure I focus on that and my journey to where I am, but am not sure the best way to also show that I know what it is to be a PA. Sure, i have shadowed, but have not had any 'epiphany take your breath away moments" from it. It basically confirmed what I already knew. I learned a few more things, sure, but not anything integral. Sigh.. this is def the hardest part of the application! Thanks again Steve!

Archived