Clinical Hours and Sites

Can anyone tell me anything about the clinicals for the PA program at Central. Specifically I'm wondering about how far out you might be traveling for clinical sites, the likelihood of doing clinicals somewhat near home, and the kind of hours to expect during clinicals (how many days a week for how many hours at a time). I would really appreciate any feedback anyone may have. Thanks.

At Central they send you to a region in the state. From What I was told you do the majority of your clinicals in that region.... The entire U.P. is a region so you may have to drive some.... For the most part they have clinicals all over the state, it just depends on what region you get placed....(I don't recall how they place you) hope this helps!

I'm a second year student, starting clinicals in 2 weeks! The previous poster isn't ENTIRELY correct...

You will be placed into a "region" by lottery. Basically whose ever name gets drawn out of the hat first, gets to pick their region first. Then, all of your rotations will be in that region (usually within an hour's drive of each other, but it depends on your region). The entire UP is NOT one region.. I think there are 3 regions there... marquette, escanaba, and iron mountain, but I don't remember for sure. All rotations are in Michigan with the exception of the opportunity to an elective in India or on a Navajo Indian reservation out west somewhere. Your elective rotation can be in any pod.

So, your ability to be near home depends on where you live and how lucky you are in the lottery. There are only 3 spots in the UP, 1-2 in the Thumb, 1 in Traverse City, 1 in Petoskey. So if you want a spot there, it's a little harder to get. If you want to be somewhere in MP, Saginaw, Midland, Flint, etc.. you have a really good chance.

Hope that helps!

Sara

• 3 years later...

Hi Melissa,

I still have 18 classes left before I'm done with my Bachelor's. I'm going up to CMU to meet with the Pre-PA advisor on Mar. 15th as I'm considering finishing my BS at CMU. I've been enjoying working in the hospital as a phlebotomist to get my HCE hours. I'm making some great future contacts for when I'm ready to start shadowing a PA. Everyone is very encouraging :)

• 6 years later...
On 8/8/2009 at 5:43 PM, smhpa said:

I'm a second year student, starting clinicals in 2 weeks! The previous poster isn't ENTIRELY correct...

You will be placed into a "region" by lottery. Basically whose ever name gets drawn out of the hat first, gets to pick their region first. Then, all of your rotations will be in that region (usually within an hour's drive of each other, but it depends on your region). The entire UP is NOT one region.. I think there are 3 regions there... marquette, escanaba, and iron mountain, but I don't remember for sure. All rotations are in Michigan with the exception of the opportunity to an elective in India or on a Navajo Indian reservation out west somewhere. Your elective rotation can be in any pod.

So, your ability to be near home depends on where you live and how lucky you are in the lottery. There are only 3 spots in the UP, 1-2 in the Thumb, 1 in Traverse City, 1 in Petoskey. So if you want a spot there, it's a little harder to get. If you want to be somewhere in MP, Saginaw, Midland, Flint, etc.. you have a really good chance.

Hope that helps!

Sara

Hi Sara,

Do you know if they still have elective rotations in India or on a Navajo Indian reservation?