"You're an Assistant."

Hemegroup,

As the others have said, use a lot of caution and do a little more homework on this one before jumping in with both feet. The salary sounds good, and I can only dream about a salary like that as a new grad. But I wouldn't take a job wherein the providers aren't willing to trust you with your patients. As Contrarian astutely points out, we are more than technicians, we have brains that we are to use to critically evaluate our patients' conditions and make decisions about how to treat them. I can understand if they want a "feeling out" period, but they should be willing to quantify that and set limits as to how long of a proving period you'll need before you get to utilize your license and skills to their fullest extent. Good luck to you!

Andrew

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

50-55 is good for a new grad in primary care. not enough to go wow over .. if you see 20 patients day you are EASILY worth 55 an hour even with an attractive benfits package. Present every narcotics ...... Maybe there was an issue with MD in the past .... Not necessarily a red flag. Presenting every prescription over a sore throat abx is going to be difficult for a productive/busy practice and likely will be hard to keep up with.

50-55 is good for a new grad in primary care. not enough to go wow over .. if you see 20 patients day you are EASILY worth 55 an hour even with an attractive benfits package. Present every narcotics ...... Maybe there was an issue with MD in the past .... Not necessarily a red flag. Presenting every prescription over a sore throat abx is going to be difficult for a productive/busy practice and likely will be hard to keep up with.

Nahhh....

In Kalifornia... anywhere really worth living in ... $50/hr is or atleast was close to minimum wage when you run the numbers considering COLA... :heheh:

I recall that in the late 1990s... it was common to hear of new grads being offered $80k/yr to start. Problem was, 1,200sq Ft tract houses on busy 4-6 lane boulvards, next door to gas stations... jammed together, backed up against the freeway costed $550k-$700k.

True that C, BTDT in SOCAL. But there's other places in California than LA, SF or SD (and they are not bad places to live, practice or raise a family) where housing prices are more realistic: i.e. 5 bedroom, 3 bath, 2980 sq ft , Two-story home with tile roof and attached 3-car garage@ $264,900, or 4 bds, 3 ba, 3714 sq ft on over 21,000 sq.ft Home site. Landscaped, Pool and Patio @ $720,000. No freeway, no gas station next door, is rural that's not everyone's cup of tea.

Nahhh....

In Kalifornia... anywhere really worth living in ... $50/hr is or atleast was close to minimum wage when you run the numbers considering COLA... :heheh:

I recall that in the late 1990s... it was common to hear of new grads being offered $80k/yr to start. Problem was, 1,200sq Ft tract houses on busy 4-6 lane boulvards, next door to gas stations... jammed together, backed up against the freeway costed $550k-$700k.

True that C, BTDT in SOCAL. But there's other places in California than LA, SF or SD (and they are not bad places to live, practice or raise a family) where housing prices are more realistic: i.e. 5 bedroom, 3 bath, 2980 sq ft , Two-story home with tile roof and attached 3-car garage@ $264,900, or 4 bds, 3 ba, 3714 sq ft on over 21,000 sq.ft Home site. Landscaped, Pool and Patio @ $720,000. No freeway, no gas station next door, is rural that's not everyone's cup of tea.

50-55 is good for a new grad in primary care. not enough to go wow over ..

For an RHC? Really? A new grad can do better? And get an addtional check from the NHSC to pay off their school debt in two years?

if you see 20 patients day you are EASILY worth 55 an hour even with an attractive benfits package.

Just curious what are they paying folks working in saftey net clinics where you are?

Present every narcotics ...... Maybe there was an issue with MD in the past .... Not necessarily a red flag.

Or maybe a PA, and its not a red flag its CYA.

Presenting every prescription over a sore throat abx is going to be difficult for a productive/busy practice and likely will be hard to keep up with.

Very true and they know that also.

50-55 is good for a new grad in primary care. not enough to go wow over ..

For an RHC? Really? A new grad can do better? And get an addtional check from the NHSC to pay off their school debt in two years?

if you see 20 patients day you are EASILY worth 55 an hour even with an attractive benfits package.

Just curious what are they paying folks working in saftey net clinics where you are?

Present every narcotics ...... Maybe there was an issue with MD in the past .... Not necessarily a red flag.

Or maybe a PA, and its not a red flag its CYA.

Presenting every prescription over a sore throat abx is going to be difficult for a productive/busy practice and likely will be hard to keep up with.

Very true and they know that also.

The CSE class that we take removes that "call the SP for Narcs" business. When you get your cert from CAPA, they send you a copy of a DSA that has this SPECIFICALLY stated and BOLD FACED. Maybe they can loosen the shackles a bit huh?

On the offer, I just LEFT a job that paid 140K because of the attitude of the SP and the practice mgr-his wife. I am at a new place that pays WAAAAYY less but I have much better respect from the staff and most importantly the SP-he treats me like a partner than a subordinate. It's also more my type of medicine. Just things to consider. Good luck bro with your decision! (hey not all Repubs are bad-I'm an independent BTW):P

The CSE class that we take removes that "call the SP for Narcs" business. When you get your cert from CAPA, they send you a copy of a DSA that has this SPECIFICALLY stated and BOLD FACED. Maybe they can loosen the shackles a bit huh?

On the offer, I just LEFT a job that paid 140K because of the attitude of the SP and the practice mgr-his wife. I am at a new place that pays WAAAAYY less but I have much better respect from the staff and most importantly the SP-he treats me like a partner than a subordinate. It's also more my type of medicine. Just things to consider. Good luck bro with your decision! (hey not all Repubs are bad-I'm an independent BTW):P

My comments were not specific to rural health center. My apologies ... I was basing this on my experiences in private practice primary care. I guess this would be a high normal salary and if it comes with tuition reimbursement thats a nice bonus. Never wow a salary .... because if they are offering it , they are making money off of it.

My comments were not specific to rural health center. My apologies ... I was basing this on my experiences in private practice primary care. I guess this would be a high normal salary and if it comes with tuition reimbursement thats a nice bonus. Never wow a salary .... because if they are offering it , they are making money off of it.

Umm... what's your interest in this LESH...???

Doesn't pass the "smell test" and you seem to be particularly vocal about this job....

I admit that I wasn't there, and everyone has given good advice. I do know the organization. I know the people in Hemegroup's original post. Yes it is a big flag. Yes there are pictures of influential politicians. Yes it started as a small RHC and now its one of the largest RHC networks in a very medically underserved area. I mean rural, medically underserved area, below poverty line, need some help yesterday. They pay very well to get folks to serve the medically underserved in primary care. This organization is a perfect example of the safety net clinics serving patient populations that the NHSC had in mind. Good, bad, and ugly. LOL But IMHO C they are "standing the wall" to use a phrase. So maybe that's why I'm vocal. I like their mission.

There are also strong personalities on Administration/staff, but the PAs I have talked with are treated with respect. I know some that left but it wasn't for a respect for PA thing, they did their time and moved on. The organization knows how to utilize PAs, train PAs and when they trust the PA will deploy them to one of the ten RHCs in the network. Where they have more than enough opportunity to be all they can be, with SP supervision prn. The Docs and NP mentioned usually get some of the highest ratings as clinical preceptors from our students. The PAs/NPs working there have my respect. As I said there are strong personalities, and it definitely isn't a gig for everyone.

Hemegroup in all honesty, I have mixed feelings about you taking this job. Pro: I know its the patient population you want to serve (and needs your help); LRP opportunity; a great chance at making some excellent political connects in rural health. Con: Safety net clinics politics and policies, but all of them have this; you will earn that money..lol; if you don't like to travel don't get a gig in the area rural health networks.

From my experience, they depend on NHSC scholars and loan repayment providers for staffing. So every two years there seems to be a staff rotation. But that's the reality of the those clinics period. I just got an job listing from an area Indian Health Board looking for NHSC and IHS providers. Their Docs and PAs are finishing their obligations. Maybe, this could be another Con, because they know most folks are leaving after doing their time. Unless of course its the type of medicine they really want to do.

My 2 cents and maybe I am way off base and biased. Hemegroup stop by the office or shoot me an email and I'll try and get that info from the California Rural Indian Health Board about some gigs they are looking to fill.

LesH

Umm... what's your interest in this LESH...???

Doesn't pass the "smell test" and you seem to be particularly vocal about this job....

I admit that I wasn't there, and everyone has given good advice. I do know the organization. I know the people in Hemegroup's original post. Yes it is a big flag. Yes there are pictures of influential politicians. Yes it started as a small RHC and now its one of the largest RHC networks in a very medically underserved area. I mean rural, medically underserved area, below poverty line, need some help yesterday. They pay very well to get folks to serve the medically underserved in primary care. This organization is a perfect example of the safety net clinics serving patient populations that the NHSC had in mind. Good, bad, and ugly. LOL But IMHO C they are "standing the wall" to use a phrase. So maybe that's why I'm vocal. I like their mission.

There are also strong personalities on Administration/staff, but the PAs I have talked with are treated with respect. I know some that left but it wasn't for a respect for PA thing, they did their time and moved on. The organization knows how to utilize PAs, train PAs and when they trust the PA will deploy them to one of the ten RHCs in the network. Where they have more than enough opportunity to be all they can be, with SP supervision prn. The Docs and NP mentioned usually get some of the highest ratings as clinical preceptors from our students. The PAs/NPs working there have my respect. As I said there are strong personalities, and it definitely isn't a gig for everyone.

Hemegroup in all honesty, I have mixed feelings about you taking this job. Pro: I know its the patient population you want to serve (and needs your help); LRP opportunity; a great chance at making some excellent political connects in rural health. Con: Safety net clinics politics and policies, but all of them have this; you will earn that money..lol; if you don't like to travel don't get a gig in the area rural health networks.

From my experience, they depend on NHSC scholars and loan repayment providers for staffing. So every two years there seems to be a staff rotation. But that's the reality of the those clinics period. I just got an job listing from an area Indian Health Board looking for NHSC and IHS providers. Their Docs and PAs are finishing their obligations. Maybe, this could be another Con, because they know most folks are leaving after doing their time. Unless of course its the type of medicine they really want to do.

My 2 cents and maybe I am way off base and biased. Hemegroup stop by the office or shoot me an email and I'll try and get that info from the California Rural Indian Health Board about some gigs they are looking to fill.

LesH

Archived