Can a PA be a Medical Director?

Yep...

As I stated above... its admin and mostly concerned with policy, HR issues, and clinical standards.

No SP is needed to do case reviews, and tell providers that they mis-managed a patient or that they are fired.

Neither is one needed to sit in meetings most of the day, or conference/liason with other providers to determine and direct clinical policy for your organization.

Medical Directors oversee the clinical care of a organization, usually works with a interdisciplinary team to ensure quality care and implement appropriate clinical policies, procedures, and programs, and works with the organization's administration regarding staff management, quality assurance activities, and education and training for providers, nurses, etc.

If you were to maintain a patient panel say... 1 day a week, you could do the above as a Med Director 90% of the time and only need a SP for your direct-patient care work 10% of the time.

Edited by Contrarian

Yep...

As I stated above... its admin and mostly concerned with policy, HR issues, and clinical standards.

No SP is needed to do case reviews, and tell providers that they mis-managed a patient or that they are fired.

Neither is one needed to sit in meetings most of the day, or conference/liason with other providers to determine and direct clinical policy for your organization.

Medical Directors oversee the clinical care of a organization, usually works with a interdisciplinary team to ensure quality care and implement appropriate clinical policies, procedures, and programs, and works with the organization's administration regarding staff management, quality assurance activities, and education and training for providers, nurses, etc.

If you were to maintain a patient panel say... 1 day a week, you could do the above as a Med Director 90% of the time and only need a SP for your direct-patient care work 10% of the time.

Edited by Contrarian

• 7 years later...
On 10/13/2018 at 7:36 AM, ventana said:

Yes salary is dismal.  This should pay in the 160k+. Range

On 10/12/2018 at 8:09 PM, EMEDPA said:

interesting. the salary leaves a bit to be desired given the responsibilities.

This post is somewhat relevant to my situation right now. I am actually considering asking our CEO if he is willing to create a position for me to help our medical director (perhaps assistant medical director?). I have a master's in healthcare administration and have managed clinics pre-PA. What would your thoughts be on expectation for compensation? I plan on either keeping my clinical hours which is 35 hours per week right now or go down to 32. 

they posted the same position for an IM doc at 200-225/yr - this is probably 75k over what an IM doc gets at the  VA....

NEVER say ASSISTANT medical director

Be just he Medical Director if at all possible - US ski team has a PA medical Director, VA is now doing it.......

If you must go for something different go for ASSOCIATE medical director

Salary - you are the head of a medical provider department - and are going to be facing a rather large number of issues - I would say 175 if the min salary

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I just found this thread. Hoping for some guidance.  I have the chance to be a regional medical director that would oversee 11 clinic sites (retail with one APC and one MA at each site for a shift).  Total of about 40 providers (all APCs, no docs) and 30ish MAs. What salary range would you ask for? 

Edited by kasilveri

3 hours ago, kasilveri said:

I just found this thread. Hoping for some guidance.  I have the chance to be a regional medical director that would oversee 11 clinic sites (retail with one APC and one MA at each site for a shift).  Total of about 40 providers (all APCs, no docs) and 30ish MAs. What salary range would you ask for? 

hourly of $100/hour and 1.5 times over 40 hours worked

should be in the 180-250k range

• 2 years later...
  • Administrator
On 1/30/2021 at 2:48 PM, LeaMar said:

If. PA is a medical director for a private EMS provider, rescue unit. Can I order supplies, EPI, Narcan, O2 for the EMT’s and Paramedics to use during a rescue response.

That will depend on the company selling you the products. Theoretically? Probably. In fact? Much simpler to use an MD's name.  If you wanted actual controlled substances like Fentanyl or Versed? I wouldn't even waste my time trying.

On 1/30/2021 at 5:48 PM, LeaMar said:

If. PA is a medical director for a private EMS provider, rescue unit. Can I order supplies, EPI, Narcan, O2 for the EMT’s and Paramedics to use during a rescue response.

When I owned my own practice I had an account through McKesson and ordered anything I wanted (but never scheduled meds as I did not want to deal with the issues with them  i.e. counting, storage and the like)

On 1/30/2021 at 5:48 PM, LeaMar said:

In my state you need a terminal distributor of dangerous drugs (TDDD) license to order meds.  Back when I was VP of a company I couldn't have such a license in my name because I'm "just an assistant" and had to use the docs name....Just received email last week that PAs are now allowed to be listed as responsible party for TDDD!!!  

Edited by DizzyJ

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone that answered my question. I do have my own DEA and NPI, I would never delve into the narcotic controlled substance ordering, even though my DEA is full writing privileges. That is for use when I am working OCC Med. And UC. Now just time to negotiate compensation for use of my medical license and monitoring who and what is being ordered. 

This position would be more of a minimal (absentee) director, but I still feel my license for his gain, should not be free.

This area of Admin function, outside of clinical practice is new to me. A retired firefighter friend contacted me about this position, at his new job. Now he is leaning more towards our years of friendship, and giving the impression he wants to use my license gratis. 

Awhile back SEMPA was working on a state by state survey of what PA's can do in EMS.  Not all states permit a PA to be an EMS medical director.   The 3 states I'm licensed in: Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana do not - they require a physician.  While Ohio does permit a PA to have a license from the pharmacy board as a terminal drug distributor in some circumstances, an EMS isn't one of them.

Please check what your state permits.